Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Detroit
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-12-2011, 11:45 PM

9,376 posts, read 11,946,467 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by danielj72 View Post
Since I now live 100 miles from Detroit, I spend as little time as possible there. In fact until last summers two trips to tiger games I had not step foot inside its city limits since the 1990s. However what I saw when I was there this summer disgusted me. Boarded up buildings, abandoned skyscrapers visible from the ballpark, and bums begging for money in a very threatening way just blocks from the stadiums. Such a sad end to a city that used to mean alot to my family. I was born there, three generations of my family lived there, and I spent my first year of life in Detroit. I remember visiting relatives there in the 1970s, and the neighborhood they lived in is gone, nothing but foundations. It has been wiped from the map. I saw this with my own eyes back in the 90s, Im sure it has spread since then. You say its not a dead hole, but my own eyes have seen it. The nation reads stories about it on the news, headlines blare out stories of crime, mayhem and city corruption to a national audience. I think the citizens of Michigan should no longer tolerate it. The new law passed in Lansing allows the state to take over failed schools and cities, and it should be used on Detroit. Remove the corrupt goverment, lock up the criminals and impose a revitalization plan upon Detroit. Detroits citizens have allowed a zone of anarchy to exist in our state, reflecting poorly upon us all. I say restore order, use the national guard if necessary. I say tear down the ghettos. The city sets on a prime waterfront, we should not permit the people squatting there to continue to abuse this resource. Its time to clean it up, and the people who messed it up should have no say in how its done.
Everyone has their own perceptions of what a city is, was, and should be. This has to do with their history of the city and also where they are presently. You will forever have those who will defend stupidity and continue to add to the deterioration. (ex: voting idiot gov. officials BACK into office just because) I see that as stubbornness and some feeling that if they fight to change it then it will be admitting that they made a mistake. Um...gee...no one can tell, right? Then you will have those who just could not take it anymore, couldn't fight city hall and had to move on to save their own from a sinking ship. Big deal. Do what you want. For those who can and want to stay and rebuild or provide ideas for that...do it. For others, who need to move for employment, to give their offspring a better education and safe environment...do it! It may look uglier to some than others. Just like people do. We are not all attracted to the same.

Your comment about the "citizens of MI...". What you are missing is that MI is a large state. Besides those who reside in Detroit and maybe some who work there or live in the surrounding subs...most do not care. Do you really think those in Petosky give a hoot about Detroit? Muskegon? Grand Rapids? Sault Ste. Marie? No, from what I have read and heard is that it ticks them off that in their beautiful state, such a cloud of gray overshadows it....Detroit. They shake their head, they wonder why, they roll their eyes and WISH it were not that way and that someone would get it right in Detroit. Probably the same way they feel about other cities that have similar issues. They must defend MI to those who think MI is Detroit. So, I highly doubt they really care. Post a poll on the main MI forum asking that. Guessing there will be some flaming wars!

This junk on the MI/Detroit forum of all the inner state bickering about what area of MI is better than others and why is a small example of the MAIN reason that MI will continue to be Detroit against MI. It is just asinine and an embarrassment.

Note: this wasn't just meant against you danielj, I just quoted yours for some of the parts......

Old 03-13-2011, 12:17 PM

7,237 posts, read 12,742,631 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kimba01 View Post
Everyone has their own perceptions of what a city is, was, and should be. This has to do with their history of the city and also where they are presently. You will forever have those who will defend stupidity and continue to add to the deterioration. (ex: voting idiot gov. officials BACK into office just because) I see that as stubbornness and some feeling that if they fight to change it then it will be admitting that they made a mistake. Um...gee...no one can tell, right? Then you will have those who just could not take it anymore, couldn't fight city hall and had to move on to save their own from a sinking ship. Big deal. Do what you want. For those who can and want to stay and rebuild or provide ideas for that...do it. For others, who need to move for employment, to give their offspring a better education and safe environment...do it! It may look uglier to some than others. Just like people do. We are not all attracted to the same.

Your comment about the "citizens of MI...". What you are missing is that MI is a large state. Besides those who reside in Detroit and maybe some who work there or live in the surrounding subs...most do not care. Do you really think those in Petosky give a hoot about Detroit? Muskegon? Grand Rapids? Sault Ste. Marie? No, from what I have read and heard is that it ticks them off that in their beautiful state, such a cloud of gray overshadows it....Detroit. They shake their head, they wonder why, they roll their eyes and WISH it were not that way and that someone would get it right in Detroit. Probably the same way they feel about other cities that have similar issues. They must defend MI to those who think MI is Detroit. So, I highly doubt they really care. Post a poll on the main MI forum asking that. Guessing there will be some flaming wars!

This junk on the MI/Detroit forum of all the inner state bickering about what area of MI is better than others and why is a small example of the MAIN reason that MI will continue to be Detroit against MI. It is just asinine and an embarrassment.

Note: this wasn't just meant against you danielj, I just quoted yours for some of the parts......
The question is would the rest of the country give a **** about Michigan without Detroit?

Lets face it, the Detroit area makes up 2/3rds of the state's population. if Detroit looks awful then it makes the whole state (who allows the mess to go on) look bad. No one cares about Muskegon, Petosky, SSM, and Grand Rapids is about as relevant as people see Peoria relevant to Illinois.

The problem with the state is that it has continued this charade for the past 40 years that it could succeed without a functional big city. How's that working out for you guys now?

Old 03-13-2011, 12:46 PM

8,882 posts, read 19,854,193 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 313Weather View Post
The question is would the rest of the country give a **** about Michigan without Detroit?

Lets face it, the Detroit area makes up 2/3rds of the state's population. if Detroit looks awful then it makes the whole state (who allows the mess to go on) look bad. No one cares about Muskegon, Petosky, SSM, and Grand Rapids is about as relevant as people see Peoria relevant to Illinois.

The problem with the state is that it has continued this charade for the past 40 years that it could succeed without a functional big city. How's that working out for you guys now?
Michiganders are starting to come around to that realization:

Rick Haglund: Michigan's economic fate hinges on its cities | MLive.com

Old 03-13-2011, 01:15 PM

9,470 posts, read 10,805,387 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kimba01 View Post

I do live in "outstate Mi" (as its called in SE Mi), have since I was a very young child. I am a product of rural Michigan, and I have lived in west Michigan, Sault Ste Marie and now currently I am in the farming area of the Saginaw Valley. As far as my views go about Detroit, I am very typical of the outlying areas of the state. You are right, Michigans residents are ashamed of Detroit. I am ashamed of Detroit. However we would love to see it corrected. We just dont see eye to eye on how it should be done. Detroits residents want more money and more programs given to them. They want thier own crooked politicians in controll of this help. We see this as unacceptable, and the idea of pouring money into that hole seems ridiculous to us. Out here we want to see a crackdown on crime, we want the place cleaned up and its crooked politicians locked up in jail. We see the residents of Detroit as being responsible for thier own conditions. Detroiters see us as hatefull toward Detroit, but really its not hatred but a justified anger. We are angry about the wasted tax dollars poured into that place for 40 years with no results. We are angry at the bad reputation Detroit has given our ENTIRE STATE. We want something done about it, something real. We want the crime and corruption gone. All cities have problems but Detroits go far beyond most others. It is the worst major city in America, and we dont want that on our soil. The only way to have outsiders (the state) come in and impose a restoration of order upon the citys current residents. I see no other way, most of them are bitter and committed to living the way they have for the past 40 years. This in my opinon should not be allowed to happen.

Old 03-13-2011, 06:38 PM

5,739 posts, read 6,934,715 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by danielj72 View Post
You are right, Michigans residents are ashamed of Detroit. I am ashamed of Detroit. However we would love to see it corrected.
Quote:
We are angry at the bad reputation Detroit has given our ENTIRE STATE.
These statements reek with paranoia. Are you paying attention or are you creating a thought bubble for justification.
Do people you meet look down on you because you're from Michigan?
Quote:
Detroits residents want more money and more programs given to them. They want thier own crooked politicians in controll of this help.
So Detroiters WANT crooked politicians in charge...
They don't want jobs... Just money given to them...
Look, I worked in Detroit, union & non-union, whatever! To say Detroiters are basically crooked and lazy is just totally false! I know them, you don't!
You're using some simplistic cliche image which makes you feel good.
Quote:
We see the residents of Detroit as being responsible for thier own conditions.
Quote:
most of them are bitter and committed to living the way they have for the past 40 years.
Most of them... Detroiters as sub-human?
Quote:
We want the crime and corruption gone. All cities have problems but Detroits go far beyond most others. It is the worst major city in America, and we dont want that on our soil.
We? Our soil? You certainly don't speak for everyone in Michigan or the country. All you have to do is pay attention in order to see that others don't share your poisonous view. Sure there are bashers, but they are basically bullies. You equate everything to basic laziness. Are you being up front with us?

Last edited by detwahDJ; 03-13-2011 at 06:51 PM..

Old 03-13-2011, 06:48 PM

1,489 posts, read 3,601,455 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tex?Il? View Post
Oakland County is obviously part of the metropolitan area, and Ann Arbor is part of the combined metro area.

Metro areas and combined metro areas are more important than plain city propers. At least in my opinion.

Yes, stregthening downtown is very important, and creating a livable urban core and public transportation is essential, but as long as there is talent, educational opportunities and wealth within a 40 mile radius of a city, than that city will have the opportunities to bring some of that to the city.

Isn't San Francisco strengthened by Berkely, Silicon Valley.

Boston areas more famous universities are actually in Cambridge, (Harvard, MIT)

Much of the D.C. areas business takes place over the Potomoc in northern Virginia.

greater metro areas work as a unit.
The article refers to "Detroit," which means they are referring to the city, not the Metro area.

Old 03-13-2011, 06:57 PM

9,470 posts, read 10,805,387 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by detwahDJ View Post
These statements reek with paranoia. Are you paying attention or are you creating a thought bubble for justification.
Do people you meet look down on you because you're from Michigan?
So Detroiters WANT crooked politicians in charge...
They don't want jobs... Just money given to them...
Look, I worked in Detroit, union & non-union, whatever! To say Detroiters are basically crooked and lazy is just totally false! I know them, you don't!
You're using some simplistic cliche image which makes you feel good.
Most of them... Detroiters as sub-human?
We? Our soil? You certainly don't speak for everyone in Michigan or the country. All you have to do is pay attention in order to see that others don't share your poisonous view. Sure there are bashers, but they are basically bullies. You equate everything to basic laziness. Are you being up front with us?

How do you suggest I am not being up front with you??? Please explain. I think Ive made my view crystal clear.

Old 03-13-2011, 07:04 PM

8,515 posts, read 16,184,600 times
great to hear. I've always had a special place in my heart for Detroit.

Old 03-13-2011, 08:51 PM

Location: Detroit's eastside, downtown Detroit in near future!
2,053 posts, read 4,394,799 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by detwahDJ View Post
Many people, including myself, have lived through and experienced as much or more in the city than you have expressed - yet don't hold the disdain and hatred you display.
Is there something else you're not telling us?
Have you seen what's going on in other cities around the country? There are other cities where you can be appalled as well. They're not doing well with their problems either.
I'm not going to even read Danielj response. basically ALL of his posts have to do with his hatred for the city. A city he clearly spends NO time in and does not live in. Its not that Detroit "makes MI look bad" its that him, and some other western MI people feel "some type of way" and envy that outside of Detroit (whole Metro), people really don't know much or mention any other cities. Ex: when I was in school in FL there were quite a few Michiganders there. Majority were from Detroit and our burbs but there were some Grand Rapids and some Kzoo people there as well. NOBODY outside of MI knew what the other cities were and most of the suburban Detroiters just said Detroit. The western MI kids usually got the screwface. And not once did someone from FL or eslewhere down them because they felt all of MI was Detroit. So that's bs. Actually besides stupid questions and the occasional asswholes, most people were just interested and asked "is Detroit really like _____" or whatever. Danielj waste so much of his time trying to prove "the suburbs are the real Detroit" lmmfao but don't even realize the burbs total existance is because of Detroit smh. I really can not stand those people like Danielj. Talk so much **** but clearly has no experience with the city or the people here.

and whats sad is even in the GR forum he talks about Detroit smh

Old 03-13-2011, 08:56 PM

Location: Detroit's eastside, downtown Detroit in near future!
2,053 posts, read 4,394,799 times
oh yea, danielj people of Detroit are so lazy. Thats why so many have moved to different cities and have better jobs and live better than many of the natives right. Yea ok. Their laziness is also what makes many of them travel to the suburbs by bus or car for jobs right? lmao. I know quite a few people who take the bus to burbs for work, only for the people in many burbs to complain about them. Smh but if these same people sat on their ass everyday because most of the jobs are in the burbs, suburban people would complain about them being lazy smh

sometimes you just cant win for loosing
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Detroit