Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Detroit
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-25-2007, 02:14 PM

4,105 posts, read 8,287,888 times

Advertisements

I will be traveling through the Detroit area and would like to make a stop in Dearborn, since I've heard there is a large Arab-American population there and I have never been to an Arab enclave. Where is the center of Arab commerce in Dearborn? Is there a street with a lot of Middle-Eastern restaurants and shops that is fun to explore?

Old 07-25-2007, 02:28 PM

999 posts, read 4,527,339 times
The area of Dearborn, east of the Southfield freeway (M-39) is mostly Arab/Lebanese. Warren Avenue and also Michigan Avenue are the business districts. There are plenty of restaurants and bakeries along almost the whole length of each in Dearborn, east of Southfield. Most of the restaurants and bakeries are on Warren Avenue. You can't go wrong with Al-Amir restaurant, Golden Bakery, New Yasmeen Bakery, etc.

Al-Amir has the best fatoosh in my opinion. Arab-American museum is on Michigan Ave. west of Schaefer. Probably the biggest mosque in the country is on Ford Road, west of Southfield.

If you're going down Warren, the street numbers are getting smaller and you pass the Malice Green shrine on your left hand side, you're in Detroit and going the wrong way. Lock your doors and for God's sake turn around and go the other way until you get to non-blight.

Old 07-25-2007, 05:57 PM

578 posts, read 2,529,302 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brattpowered View Post
I will be traveling through the Detroit area and would like to make a stop in Dearborn, since I've heard there is a large Arab-American population there and I have never been to an Arab enclave. Where is the center of Arab commerce in Dearborn? Is there a street with a lot of Middle-Eastern restaurants and shops that is fun to explore?
Dearborn is ALL Arabic now. Its known as Little Beirut. USA Stats have it as "among the largest" Arab-Immigrant population in America. They are quite clannish, and dont like outsiders, unless you are spending money in their shop, of course. Treat the customers badly. Most of the Chaldean grocery/gas/dollar stores inside of Detroit, yes. Talk mean & rude to our kids; I would have to go up there and tell them "Hey, my kid spends lots of MY money in YOUR store, yet you do nothing to give back, you people wont even hire OUR kids as box boys, stockers, baggers, checkers, etc. they hire "THEIR OWN KIND", Family, other Chaldeans. They don't bring anything to the table; unless its owned by them!. Let them stay in Dearborn to themselves. We were doing alright before they got here.

Old 07-25-2007, 06:36 PM

???? I don't think there are any Chaldeans in Dearborn. But if there were Chaldeans in Dearborn, how are they obliged to hire your family instead of their own to work in the family business??

Last edited by and the; 07-25-2007 at 06:48 PM..

Old 07-27-2007, 07:20 AM

10 posts, read 55,743 times
Dearborn has the largest concentration of Arabs outside the Middle East. I drive through "Arabic Town" every day too & from work - not a good area though, too close to Southwest Detroit for my taste. Stick to Michigan Ave.

Old 07-28-2007, 08:44 AM

734 posts, read 2,617,105 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by and the View Post
???? I don't think there are any Chaldeans in Dearborn. But if there were Chaldeans in Dearborn, how are they obliged to hire your family instead of their own to work in the family business??
you can find all the Chaldeans in Sterling Heights...at least when I lived there

Old 07-28-2007, 12:57 PM

Quote:
you can find all the Chaldeans in Sterling Heights...at least when I lived there
Sterling Hts, West Bloomfield, Troy, 7 Mile and Woodward....but not Dearborn.....And I don't believe Chaldeans consider themselves Arab.

Old 08-07-2007, 12:30 PM

39 posts, read 152,126 times
Default What???????

hello!!!!! I live in Dearborn,right in the middle of what we've referred to as 'Little Lebanon' since the 70's!!!! I grew up here & went to Fordson High. I am right at Warren & Schaefer. Yes, there are Chaldean's living here among many others from all over the middle east-Iraq, Iran, Jordan, Lebanon etc....... Yes, they are quite 'clannish' as were immigrants throughout our history, Yes, some of the store owners can be very rude & if they are rude, I've found they are rude to everyone for the most part. There are some places that try to rip you off if you're not middle eastern etc...but those are not the norm & I just don't frequent their establishments anymore!
For the most part, my neighbors keep their property up nicely, are courteous & I am fortunate enough to have my Iraqi neighbors across the street send me over good home-cooked middle eastern food & treats from time to time.
However, I am uncomfortable living here because the culture is sooooo different.
I also do not like the fact that we've changed so many state & local laws & social norms to fit their needs-which is not isolated just to the middle eastern culture, by the way!!!!!! OK so that's way off the subject.
Yasmeen Bakery on Warren a few blocks west of Chase Rd. has Great cheese pie, hummous, chicken shwarma & good food in general.LOTS of baklava!!! & smoothies! Cedarland down Warren west of Schaefer has very good food too-Ummmmm lamb stew!
Just didn't want the neighborhood to get a really bad rap. It is a Mecca of middle eastern culture if that's what you're looking for!!!!!!!!!!

Oh, and by the way, west Dearborn is still pretty much 'lilly white' so if that's more to your taste you can still enjoy middle eastern food on Michigan Ave in West Dbn. geeeeeeZ!

Last edited by Tammy222; 08-07-2007 at 12:37 PM.. Reason: forgot something

Old 08-07-2007, 03:30 PM

30 posts, read 132,139 times
Yeah, as a Dearborn Resident, Dearborn is not all Arabic. EastBorn is the center for the Middle Eastern Culture. As was stated Michigan Ave and Warren are lined with Mid-Eastern Bakeries and Cuisine.

I for one have never had an issue shopping in Middle Eastern shops. They have wonderful authentic foods.

For the poster that made such a drastic situation out of crossing the border into Detroit. Detroit is not that bad that you need to freak out.

Old 08-07-2007, 07:34 PM

Quote:
For the poster that made such a drastic situation out of crossing the border into Detroit. Detroit is not that bad that you need to freak out.
You ever break down on Warren/23rd on a hot August night?

Quote:
Yes, there are Chaldean's living here among many others from all over the middle east-Iraq, Iran, Jordan, Lebanon etc.......
I've lived in or around Dearborn my whole life and don't recall a noticable number of Chaldeans living here. The few I do know are married to Lebanese spouses. There area Iraqis here, especially after Gulf War I, but not Chaldeans in general. I know of a few Chaldean businesses around town, but the owners live in West Bloomfield, and there are no appreciable numbers of Chaldeans living in Dearborn. In fact 90% of the whole Metro Detroit Chaldean population lives in either Oakland or Macomb counties. If you see any demographic that says there are many Chaldeans in Dearborn, it's because they're considering Iraqis and Chaldeans as one class. That's not the case.

Quote:
I also do not like the fact that we've changed so many state & local laws & social norms to fit their needs-which is not isolated just to the middle eastern culture, by the way!!!!!! OK so that's way off the subject.
Exactly what state laws have been changed to "fit their needs"? Name 2. If it weren't for the Lebanese who came to Dearborn during the Civil War and who brought all their money with them, Warren Avenue between Wyoming and Greenfield would look like Warren Avenue between Livernois and Wyoming. And your house would be worth the same as a similar house north of Tireman. If you resent the "change" that you think they're responsible for, you can always move.

Last edited by and the; 08-07-2007 at 07:57 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Detroit