Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Detroit
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: What is the Worst thing about Detroit?
Crime 87 45.55%
Decay 66 34.55%
Roads 14 7.33%
People (rudeness) 24 12.57%
Voters: 191. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-11-2006, 12:00 PM

15 posts, read 51,622 times

Advertisements

I am 17 years old, and have always had a fascination with Detroit. My mom doesn't want me to move there. I know there are nasty areas all over, but for some reason, I keep wanting to come to Detroit. I look at all the pictures of the decay and stuff, but I still want to come. Can anyone help me out? What are some good things about Detroit, and obviously the bad. Thanks.

Daniel True
[email]TrueDaniel_G@hotmail.com[/email]

Old 10-11-2006, 08:35 PM

39 posts, read 385,487 times
If you want to go, go. You will find it to be a great city, if you are looking for that. There is an abundance of decay and abandoned buildings, which a lot of people think make it look trashy. Personally, I think it's beautiful and full of all kinds of character that its suburbs lack.

The worst thing about Detroit wasn't on your list, and that is the racism. A lot of anger, a lot of ignorance.

Old 10-12-2006, 11:50 PM

622 posts, read 2,710,226 times
yes, there are some wonderful things about detroit. it does have character that the suburbs dont. i think the abandoned buildings are beautiful in a weird way (not that i think its great that there are so many of them). the best thing about detroit is its raw. it is not pretentious. it doesnt pretend to be anything its not, and i like that. also it has a kickass music scene that has a reputation around the globe- and i'm not talking about motown, i'm talking about electronica and indy rock. plus if you are into sports, we have great sports teams. also, windsor is right next door, easy to get to, and a great city.

detroit is not for me, though. the racism is horrible- on all sides. i dont feel safe, so i rarely venture into the city (except for work). though i have met a lot of cool people around here, i have met way, way more rude people. i feel the culture is very "every man for yourself" kinda thing. i am moving in a month, and i will never live here again...

but...

i'm still glad i came.

Old 10-14-2006, 03:54 PM

36 posts, read 68,243 times
Detroit his the most vile, rude, and racists population I have ever seen in my life. People that live in the sticks and think everything is rosey, come to Detroit, and in a couple months their entire outlook has changed.

Most Detroiters simply hate anyone not of their ethniticity and even some of their own! That place is ranked as one of the most rude and hateful cities in the USA for good reason. There was some widespread study done, which found Detroit as the meanest city in America.

Detroit is a predatory city, nobody is safe, they kill and steal from their own, and especially not of their own. The people as a whole in that city have little regard for anyone other than themselves.

Old 10-16-2006, 06:23 PM

27 posts, read 157,181 times
Whats grt abt DETROIT.......TIGERS......!

Old 10-16-2006, 10:16 PM

Go Tigers!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Old 10-19-2006, 10:22 AM

213 posts, read 1,087,755 times
Default I'm from Detroit

So we meet again! Good to see you are investigating other midwest cities too.

I was born and raised in Detroit and nothing would make me go back. My entire family still lives there--and in the burb. I visit often, but that's enough for me. Minneapolis (the other city danieltrue is researching) is by far superior. My spouse is from here and I love it.

Detroit is extrememly racist (especially African American vs. Euro [white] American). When a minority family moves into a neighborhood, the white families quickly put their houses up for sale and leave. Blacks hold the low wage jobs (cleaning hotel rooms, for example) while whites hold higher paying jobs (managing hotels). Detroit also has a lot of litter lining the streets, high poverty, high crime, an abundance of drugs (even in the suburbs).

In Mpls, blacks (and other minorities) and whites work and live side by side. We have a Hmong woman in state congress. I'm not going to say there aren't racist people in Mpls, but I can say there is far less racism than in Detroit (or anyplace in Michigan that I've lived). I am proud of that!

You can walk in downtown Mpls and not worry about being mugged, stabbed, or raped. People in Mpls often leave the keys in their cars (with the motor running) if they are just running into a store for a second. (They don't want their cars to get cold!) In Detroit, we locked the car doors the minute we got into the car so we wouldn't get jumped at a stop light.

Old 10-19-2006, 11:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by snowlandcook View Post
So we meet again! Good to see you are investigating other midwest cities too.

I was born and raised in Detroit and nothing would make me go back. My entire family still lives there--and in the burb. I visit often, but that's enough for me. Minneapolis (the other city danieltrue is researching) is by far superior. My spouse is from here and I love it.

Detroit is extrememly racist (especially African American vs. Euro [white] American). When a minority family moves into a neighborhood, the white families quickly put their houses up for sale and leave. Blacks hold the low wage jobs (cleaning hotel rooms, for example) while whites hold higher paying jobs (managing hotels). Detroit also has a lot of litter lining the streets, high poverty, high crime, an abundance of drugs (even in the suburbs).

In Mpls, blacks (and other minorities) and whites work and live side by side. We have a Hmong woman in state congress. I'm not going to say there aren't racist people in Mpls, but I can say there is far less racism than in Detroit (or anyplace in Michigan that I've lived). I am proud of that!

You can walk in downtown Mpls and not worry about being mugged, stabbed, or raped. People in Mpls often leave the keys in their cars (with the motor running) if they are just running into a store for a second. (They don't want their cars to get cold!) In Detroit, we locked the car doors the minute we got into the car so we wouldn't get jumped at a stop light.
Yes, I'll echo all of that! Crime in Detroit is bad, no matter how much they are trying to say Detroit's getting better and enticing people to move there. It is getting better, but it's still really, really dangerous.

...and segregated.

Old 10-21-2006, 06:48 PM

1,608 posts, read 9,748,476 times
You probably like Eminem and the whole 8 Mile movie thing, right? Get it out of your head. Detroit is a dirty, crime ridden, dangerous dump.

The good things? There are some good things downtown (sports). That's about it.

Old 10-21-2006, 07:06 PM

4,494 posts, read 7,484,483 times
Detroit is a rough city! At 17, i wouldn't recomment you go to Detroit unless you have some serious "street smarts" about you.

Detroit is right up there with my "weirdest cities" next to El Paso. The whole metro area is segregated that it's a shame. Right across the river is Windsor, Ont. which is very integrated which makes you wonder what heck is going on in Detroit/Metro area.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Detroit