Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Detroit
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-31-2011, 12:54 PM

5 posts, read 10,604 times

Advertisements

I'm a bit nervous since it is so close to Flint, but I was looking at outside areas like Davison. The potential job is a charter school in Burton (Glen Burton Academy) which is on Atherton Rd.

Just wanted to get an idea of the area before I make a decision.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-31-2011, 01:01 PM

4,120 posts, read 8,900,055 times
Davison is ok...as is Grand Blanc.

Old 03-31-2011, 01:13 PM

Okay. The two apartment complexes I was looking at were Perry Place and Windsor Place.

Old 03-31-2011, 01:26 PM

4,120 posts, read 8,900,055 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by anaaki View Post
Okay. The two apartment complexes I was looking at were Perry Place and Windsor Place.
I do not know the cities very well...just drove through them each quite a bit. Davison seems very nice and really dont hear too much about it...which is a good thing I guess.

Old 03-31-2011, 05:10 PM

336 posts, read 908,389 times
Davison would be an easier commute than Grand Blanc since you can hop on I-69 west and get off right at Center rd.

Though I'm surprised anyone would trade Grand Rapids for here.

Old 04-01-2011, 09:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tricia819 View Post
Though I'm surprised anyone would trade Grand Rapids for here.

I'd stay if I could but the GRPS school system is insanely terrible, especially when it comes to specials (I.E., art, music...)

There are so many jobs cuts to the schools and art is going first. So if I see any opportunity open up for an art teaching position, I'm going to take it.

Granted, I'll still be picky. Flint Public Schools needs and art teacher, but I'm not *that* desperate. But a charter school outside of Flint? I don't mind that as much.

Old 04-01-2011, 03:05 PM

336 posts, read 908,389 times
My kids went to Burton Glen for five years, I'm not convinced it's so much better than Flint public.

Old 04-01-2011, 06:46 PM

1 posts, read 1,787 times
Default re:Burton

I lived in Flint all my life, and I am going to tell you that Burton is kinda the worst areas for drug and gang activity. That is what the people tell me. I have moved to northern Michigan, and it is very quiet here, thank goodness!

Old 04-04-2011, 04:55 PM

1 posts, read 1,758 times
Default Moving to Burton? ...eh, advise other location...

Hello - have you already moved to Burton? Flint locals refer to Burton as Burtucky. I hope that is self-explanatory. It is not a great area, I personally would not recommend it - it would not be a preference. From my experience living in the surrounding area my entire life, Burton is only moving downhill. I grew up in Grand Blanc and moved to Flint about 14 years ago, at a young age. I'm currently looking to move outside of Flint, maybe Flushing, Swartz Creek - not sure yet.

However, we do not know what or where you are coming from. It is unfair to pre-judge anyone's circumstances.

Grand Blanc is not far from Burton. If a small commute is acceptable, I would suggest to look for accommodations in Grand Blanc. It is a nice little/decently sized family community type of city.

Good luck!

Old 04-06-2011, 01:44 PM

I'm from West Michigan, about 20 minutes south of Grand Rapids, so fairly rural. I decided to turn down the Burton job.

I am interviewing tomorrow for a job in Roseville, MI, which seems a lot better than Burton. We'll see how it goes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Detroit