Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Detroit
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-05-2011, 08:15 AM

10 posts, read 23,850 times

Advertisements

There is a crazy good deal on a house at 7604 La Salle Blvd, but I am not familiar with the area. Anyone have any input? We are a family from a small town in Michigan with 3 school aged kids.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-05-2011, 01:14 PM

530 posts, read 1,546,066 times
foggy,

Can you really afford to maintain an 8,000 Sq Ft house that is about 100 years old?

You'd really have to go into the house. Some of those houses have been looted of fireplace mantles, door handles, ornate wood moldings, sconces, etc. And this stuff is usually pried off the walls with crowbars and what-not. Never removed professionally.

Like anywhere, walk around the neighborhood by yourself for a couple of hours. Get a feel if you are welcome or not.

I could be off but think some of the former mayors family lived on LaSalle.

Old 04-05-2011, 08:40 PM

20,951 posts, read 19,401,209 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fmax View Post
I could be off but think some of the former mayors family lived on LaSalle.
Kwame's sister lives at 7435 La Salle (4 houses down from the house in question), the scene of Kwame's assault on a police officer.

----------------

foggychicksrule, a few questions:

1. Will you be sending your kids to public or private schools, or home schooling?

2. Do you like to do things in your neighborhood (walk, ride bike, let kids wander around playing with kids in the neighborhood).

3. Do you mind living in a high-crime area? Are you aware of the crime level? www.crimemapping.com

4. If you are not an African-American, would you have any problem living in a predominantly African-American area? [I hope this isn't taken offensively by anyone. I only ask because for some people this would be a problem.]

I will concur that this looks like a very nice home and would like to live in such a home myself. However, when you buy a home you also buy a neighborhood.

Old 04-06-2011, 09:10 AM

1,996 posts, read 3,133,848 times
I am the biggest CITY of Detroit booster there is, but I can't recommend you buy that house to live in with 3 children. The neighborhood is a little known historic district that consists of one long street (La Salle Boulevard), and an ornamental park surrounded by streets called La Salle Gardens North and La Salle Gardens South. The neighborhoods around this district are in steady decline and have been so for many years. The surrounding neighborhoods have their fair share of crime and a great about of blight. The people in the surrounding neighborhoods are basically poor for the most part.

The Detroit Public School system - there are some good schools, great schools. But for the most part, they are no good, and the emergency financial manager is closing tens of schools EVERY YEAR. Also, shopping options are very limited in that area. There was a Farmer Jack fairly close by, but that closed like 5 years ago.

I would only recommend this neighborhood if you are true, tough urban pioneers, who don't mind living around black people, who have great street smarts, and who don't mind sending their child to a private school or charter school or good public school (they are few!). And you have to put a lot of money into renovating.

Old 04-06-2011, 11:13 AM

970 posts, read 2,957,549 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Retroit View Post
However, when you buy a home you also buy a neighborhood.
I couldn't agree with this more. But, in this case, foggychicksrule would also be buying surrounding neighborhoods - one of the most blighted, run-down neighborhoods in the city is just a few blocks south of this home. And that blight and crime has nowhere to go but up through LaSalle Gardens. The home to the east of the property is potentially abandoned, with a rotted-out front porch; http://maps.google.com/maps?q=7604+L...,30.57,,2,0.71

There's much better neighborhoods throughout the city where she could get less house for that money, but its worth it, because she will be further removed from bad neighborhoods.

Last edited by Remisc; 04-06-2011 at 11:47 AM..

Old 04-07-2011, 02:06 AM
Yac

6,049 posts, read 7,697,012 times
25 deleted posts later I'd like to remind everyone here that if you respond to a troll, you're doing what he wants. If you see a troll post, report it, ignore it and move on.
Yac.

Old 04-07-2011, 11:24 AM

20,951 posts, read 19,401,209 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yac View Post
25 deleted posts later I'd like to remind everyone here that if you respond to a troll, you're doing what he wants. If you see a troll post, report it, ignore it and move on.
Yac.
Damn, I missed it!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Detroit