Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Detroit
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-12-2011, 12:25 AM

2 posts, read 3,215 times

Advertisements

Hi,

I need to do MBA full time on campus in MI...

But i got low GMAT score...

I have 3+years of work experience..

Does the school which we study is vital for employment??

Please let me know abt schools in detroit.. which actually accept my low gmat score or which donot require gmat...

I am nt ready to retake gmat so kindly post ur suggestions for me....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-12-2011, 03:17 PM

1,648 posts, read 3,280,165 times
What was your GMAT score? Most of the other state schools in the region (Wayne St, Oakland, MSU/Troy, CMU) will probably admit you as they tend to structure their MBA programs to be cash cows. People who go to these schools tend to do it to "check the box" so they have an MBA when it comes time for future roles. Recruiting is a little lighter at these schools than a full time MBA program, but the location could work towards your advantage (e.g. backyard recruiting as opposed to flying to South Bend or Durham).

If you have your heart set on U-Michigan- you'll have to take the GMAT again - It's a nationally recognized program so you're competing against people alround the world. Your English seems a little off (but great if you're an ESL) - so I'd work on that too. Hiring folks tend to be stringent on resumes/cover letters/application essays - so don't give them an easy reason to disqualify you.

Good luck!

Old 04-12-2011, 04:00 PM

2 posts, read 3,215 times
Thanks for your response. I got 330 in GMAT. Ok then i will consider retaking my GMAT again. Do u feel that my English is not standard? I am not a native speaker and im not an ESL also.
I just need a job after my MBA. Not much focused on joining a good univ.

Old 04-12-2011, 06:16 PM

18,630 posts, read 19,454,104 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Subachander View Post
Thanks for your response. I got 330 in GMAT. Ok then i will consider retaking my GMAT again. Do u feel that my English is not standard? I am not a native speaker and im not an ESL also.
I just need a job after my MBA. Not much focused on joining a good univ.
That's pretty low. Some schools don't require GMAT anymore might want to look into them.

Old 04-13-2011, 06:32 PM

3,120 posts, read 8,075,500 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Subachander View Post
Hi,

Please let me know abt schools in detroit.. which actually accept my low gmat score or which donot require gmat...

I am nt ready to retake gmat so kindly post ur suggestions for me...
You definitely need to improve your English skills. Why do you want to obtain an MBA? What do you need it for?

First off, people with MBA's are a dime-a-dozen. Getting an MBA will not guarantee you a good job. In fact, it probably won't help you at all unless you already have some sort of business management experience or valuable connections.
Any MBA that you can obtain with a low GMAT score (or that doesn't require a GMAT) will probably have next to zero employment value. In fact, it could work against you because employers will think that you are overqualified.

Secondly, unless you attend a top 10 or top 25 business school, your MBA probably won't have much value unless you are already employed and your current employer wants you to obtain one so that you can be promoted.

There isn't any shortage of highly-educated people in this country who would like to have stable white collar jobs that pay well. As a previous poster said, most universities are cash cows--they just want your money and could otherwise care less about whether or not the degrees they are offering have any employment value. For those reasons I recommend that people approach higher education very skeptically because colleges and universities do not have their students' best interests in mind, and that includes "non-profit" state-owned colleges and universities.

Old 10-03-2011, 05:41 PM

8,882 posts, read 19,884,665 times
Why do people keep reporting this thread to the moderators? - Thanks, the moderators

Old 10-04-2011, 10:10 AM

3,120 posts, read 8,075,500 times
If this thread is being reported, you guys must receive huge amounts of reports.

Old 10-04-2011, 11:50 AM

1,452 posts, read 2,996,611 times
If you are going into IT, I would focus more on certifications than an MBA - at least to start. Get a good job, then see if an MBA is required to advance. You could be making some good money the time you spend in school.

I'm thinking an MBA in IT would be needed at the director level, but usually at manager level all is required is a bachelors.

Old 10-04-2011, 12:56 PM

21,088 posts, read 29,279,590 times
Are you really committed to doing an MBA program? Do you have other interests?

Old 10-05-2011, 11:43 AM

2,674 posts, read 4,400,557 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shuba666 View Post
Hi,

I am nt ready to retake gmat so kindly post ur suggestions for me....
Not to discourage you, but you probably don't want to go to a school that doesn't need a GMAT or will accept a low score.

The connections, networking is most important in a business school, even moreso than the curriculum.

Coming from a second run B-school will just be something on your resume but not likely to open many doors.

Advice- Take time off, study up, do a review course, tutoring and crush the GMAT so that you're not dealing from a position of weakness. Better to spend the time that be left with a bill for a near worthless MBA.

An MBA in and of itself is near worthless unless it's from a name school. Hell Univ of Phoenix will give you one.

Good luck.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Detroit