Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Detroit
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-09-2011, 07:45 PM

2,534 posts, read 2,245,547 times

Advertisements

I think it is all "water cooler" talk too. It's been so long since we lived in Michigan and I didn't live in Detroit so my observances are limited.

Well we've got summer house guests from Michigan. We were discussing this issue but even they were negative about it. But they have fallen on hard times so that could be why. I think most people's bitterness is in reality disappointment.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-09-2011, 10:57 PM

Location: Detroit's eastside, downtown Detroit in near future!
2,053 posts, read 4,373,029 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by detcityno1 View Post
Yup. You are right. I just want to speak on behalf of someone who just moved to Lithionia GA from the city of Detroit less than 1-2 months ago. I lived near 7 mile and Prevost and before that Oakman Blvd near Tireman. People who don't live in Detroit have no idea how it is. They hear rumors and just want to make gossip and have something "cool" to talk about but its just as much hype than it is facts. The only bad thing it has is a declined auto industry which affected the economy. I moved to GA because my family is here and I want to be close to them and I snagged a nice job fast. I will be back in Detroit for holidays and throughout the summer. I would have stayed if I had a job.
they don't believe people like you exist so sssshhhh keep the secret ok lol

some people on C-D swear that every last person who moves to another city does so because they hate Detroit

Old 05-12-2011, 03:37 AM

655 posts, read 2,194,291 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mary54mi View Post
Having a Mayor that is now in jail can be answer the "why" question.

Kuami Kilpatrick Mayor of Detroit jailed 2012 Date Set For Kilpatrick Corruption Case - Detroit Local News Story - WDIV Detroit for recent news.
Could you at least spell the guy's name right? And that's EX-mayor. And no, it's not the answer.

Old 05-12-2011, 05:30 PM

5,739 posts, read 6,893,850 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lookup138 View Post
I'm just curious why this city is singled out for scrutiny and horrible comments? Most of the threads/posts about Detroit are negative or contain unpleasant pictures of the city. Posters fish out the threads just to continue the cycle of demeaning this city.
It all started with a single news feature in the late 60s (?). The Detroit Police Dept opened the doors of its “confiscated weapons room” to the media, which latched onto the story nationally. It was a postwar era of relative prosperity. The story was something of a revelation at the time, and the number of confiscated weapons were shocking to a complacent, comfortable public. Detroit became the national media’s “crime city” from that point forward. Here was the “first” major city with a big crime problem, and it gave the media a cliched image (Detroit as crime and cars) which it could trot out for its undemanding audience whenever necessary. Now some Americans had a target of derision they could point to, while ignoring the growing problems in their own backyard.
People don’t bash a place which is unimportant, it’s no fun! There’s an element of envy and bullying. If they bashed Boondock USA, no one would pay attention. Beware of phony “concern” by trolls.

Old 05-13-2011, 09:12 AM

2,534 posts, read 2,245,547 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by detwahDJ View Post
It all started with a single news feature in the late 60s (?). The Detroit Police Dept opened the doors of its “confiscated weapons room” to the media, which latched onto the story nationally. It was a postwar era of relative prosperity. The story was something of a revelation at the time, and the number of confiscated weapons were shocking to a complacent, comfortable public. Detroit became the national media’s “crime city” from that point forward. Here was the “first” major city with a big crime problem, and it gave the media a cliched image (Detroit as crime and cars) which it could trot out for its undemanding audience whenever necessary. Now some Americans had a target of derision they could point to, while ignoring the growing problems in their own backyard.
People don’t bash a place which is unimportant, it’s no fun! There’s an element of envy and bullying. If they bashed Boondock USA, no one would pay attention. Beware of phony “concern” by trolls.
Whatever state we moved to, when we tell people that we lived in Michigan, they automatically assume Detroit. When I say no we lived further out, not in the city people still associate it with inner city living. No one knows of Plymouth, Farmington, Sterling Heights, Chelsea Township, Auburn Hills, etc. Strange how when I mention that we lived in IL and PA, no one asks ANYTHING about them!

I find myself having to constantly answer questions about Detroit and I don't have them. We only lived there for about 5 years maybe... We still have many friends there and I am affiliated with two associations there as well. I have learned to change the subject or turn it around into positive talk. You said it very well.

Old 05-13-2011, 10:49 AM

70 posts, read 131,779 times
Is it really a wonder why people look down on Detroit? Can you name another big city that has fallen on such hard times in the last decade?

Old 05-13-2011, 12:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hiphopcr View Post
Is it really a wonder why people look down on Detroit? Can you name another big city that has fallen on such hard times in the last decade?
A) In your mind Detroit has no redeeming qualities (art, culture, music, history, societal impact, etc) besides its "hard (economic) times in the last decade"?
B) Most civilized people on these Detroit threads are loathe to bash other cities, period (though it could be done)!

Old 05-14-2011, 01:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lookup138 View Post
Whatever state we moved to, when we tell people that we lived in Michigan, they automatically assume Detroit. When I say no we lived further out, not in the city people still associate it with inner city living. No one knows of Plymouth, Farmington, Sterling Heights, Chelsea Township, Auburn Hills, etc. Strange how when I mention that we lived in IL and PA, no one asks ANYTHING about them!
I'm surprised out-of-staters automatically equate Michigan to Detroit since Michigan is so big in the tourist trade (I'm pretty sure Chicagoans don't make this mistake, since they're all over the place). The image in their mind must have Detroit as "THE" city of Michigan with nothing but tundra elsewhere.
So why don't people know about Grand Rapids, Kalamazoo, Muskegon? It has to be the national media. I blame them for a lot.

Old 05-14-2011, 03:41 AM

4,111 posts, read 9,013,591 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by detwahDJ View Post
I'm surprised out-of-staters automatically equate Michigan to Detroit since Michigan is so big in the tourist trade (I'm pretty sure Chicagoans don't make this mistake, since they're all over the place). The image in their mind must have Detroit as "THE" city of Michigan with nothing but tundra elsewhere.
So why don't people know about Grand Rapids, Kalamazoo, Muskegon? It has to be the national media. I blame them for a lot.
Either way, it's amazes me how much some Michiganders don't give a flying F about the condition of the largest city in the state. Talk to someone who lives an hour outside of Chicago and you can hear the pride they have in their state's largest city.. Talk to someone who lives just outside of Detroit and they view it as "their problem not mine". I know there are suburbs just outside of Chicago that aren't even that different from their adjacent city neighborhoods. Try telling someone in Burnham, Illinois that the Hegweich neighborhood in Chicago is no concern to them and they'll look at you like you're crazy.. Does the world really just transform into a different place in the Detroit area the second you cross that invisible line? This isn't a rhetorical question or sarcastic remark. I'm really asking.

I'd hate to break it to you but Detroit IS the city/face of Michigan. Just like Chicago is the city of Illinois and Los Angeles is the city of California. Yes, there are other cities in Michigan but Detroit is the largest and most dominant. If you honestly believe you can expect people to think highly of your state when you yourself think lowly of your state's largest city.. well, I don't know what to say.

Last edited by urza216; 05-14-2011 at 04:15 AM..

Old 05-14-2011, 05:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by urza216 View Post
Either way, it's amazes me how much some Michiganders don't give a flying F about the condition of the largest city in the state. Talk to someone who lives an hour outside of Chicago and you can hear the pride they have in their state's largest city..
I'd hate to break it to you but Detroit IS the city/face of Michigan. Just like Chicago is the city of Illinois and Los Angeles is the city of California. Yes, there are other cities in Michigan but Detroit is the largest and most dominant. If you honestly believe you can expect people to think highly of your state when you yourself think lowly of your state's largest city.. well, I don't know what to say.
Can't discount anything you say.
News-for-profit gets you entertainment instead of news because it's more profitable. The media's "news" departments are in name only!
This seems a rant on the state of media, but it's pertinent to the discussion. We form opinions on the basis of A) what others tell us (factual or otherwise) and B) what we WANT to believe (including prejudices).
The story I mentioned previously was a shocker at the time, and it, plus its feedback, stuck like glue for decades while forming opinions around America (and in Detroit itself). So other cities were "off the radar" of the crime issue.
I remember people in the media saying "go to Detroit and you'll be murdered" (hyperbole yes, but that's what people like and the entertainment media knows it).

Last edited by detwahDJ; 05-14-2011 at 06:11 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Detroit