Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Detroit
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-23-2011, 12:18 AM

Location: Detroit's eastside, downtown Detroit in near future!
2,053 posts, read 4,391,825 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by us66 View Post
(This is aimed at those reading this that are not from southeastern Michigan.)

Hardly anyone in SE MI knows the difference. If you were to survey folks from metropolitan Detroit, I'd guess at least half have never heard of either term, techno or house. I know I can't tell the difference. There is a large festival in downtown Detroit, held every year, called the Detroit Electronic Music Festival. It attracts a worldwide audience yet the average metro Detroiter has never heard of it. Techno DJs who are revered as rock stars in places like Germany toil in complete anonymity in Detroit. I can't name a single one, but I might be able to recognize a name if you told me one. That said, I know more about techno than the average metro Detroiter. America doesn't owe Detroit one red cent for being the American capital of techno music. There isn't even a techno radio station here.
I don't know what SE people you are talking about but ask any random Detroiter whats the difference and I'm willing to bet someone will know. For instance, house music is majority bass rooted while techno has a very, I guess you could say, "space" type of feel. Think "Jetsons" (I know terrible comparison but its the only way I could explain it lol). House music also tends to have singers over a beat while most Techno does not (unless you're talking about ghetto tech which is just sped up Techno with raunchy lyrics). Techno has also been known to throw in sounds related to the auto industry, like what you would here on the line in the plants. There is definitely a difference. Chicagoans and Detroiters often argue about which is better and Chicagoans will also almost jump down your throat for calling a house track a techno track.

and I didn't say America owes Detroit anything because of Techno music. Also, is it really a surprise most "Metro" Detroiters don't know about something going on in the city?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-23-2011, 12:24 AM

Location: Detroit's eastside, downtown Detroit in near future!
2,053 posts, read 4,391,825 times
and honestly jitters and techno DJs being invited to do shows overseas kind of blows the Metro area being big on Techno out of the water, just saying.

it being internationally a "big thing" is the reason why Hart Plaza is packed during DEMF, more so than any even downtown, which brings money to the city

Old 05-23-2011, 02:11 AM

655 posts, read 2,202,354 times
I listen to electronic music and honestly I could care less about Detroit's techno history or whatever. I lived a short walk from the festival and never bothered to check it out. Motown is known for well...Motown.

Old 05-23-2011, 11:18 AM

1,497 posts, read 3,489,698 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slappy san View Post
I listen to electronic music and honestly I could care less about Detroit's techno history or whatever. I lived a short walk from the festival and never bothered to check it out. Motown is known for well...Motown.
True, Motown is definitely Detroit's signature sound, but when considering the influence of a city, it would be disingenuous to leave Detroit Techno out of the conversation. Electronic music doesn't have nearly the cultural "footprint" that other genres do, but nonetheless, Detroit techno was an important musical contribution that is recognized by many people globally.

Nobody "owes" Detroit anything for contributions that emerged from the city, but recognition for such things should be given where due. In time, I think history will also reflect Detroit's contributions to rock music, especially in the origins of Punk Rock (think MC-5, Iggy Pop, etc) and also rap music. Certainly Eminem and Kid Rock along with their ties to Detroit will be memorialized on jukeboxes for years to come.

Old 05-23-2011, 05:33 PM

1,900 posts, read 5,903,387 times
[quote=ForStarters;19274721] Electronic music doesn't have nearly the cultural "footprint" that other genres do, but nonetheless, Detroit techno was an important musical contribution that is recognized by many people globally.

Yes! Yes! You said what I was trying to say! Strangely though, it doesn't have near as much of a "cultural footprint" here. That's why I was trying to draw the comparison with Nashville. Nashville=country music. Detroit(not=)techno, at least to most Americans, whose understanding of techno comes from an occasional Katy Perry remix heard on the radio (and that stupid song they playes on the radio..."like a G6, like a G6...").
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Detroit