Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Detroit
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-27-2011, 12:23 PM

7,237 posts, read 12,685,101 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by us66 View Post
Question- if the workers who are being hired for this plant are all on some layoff list, won't they be making $25+ an hour, being grandfathered into the old system?
According to the Detroit News, only just over 1,300 will be hired into the old contract. The rest (new hires) will be hired into the new contract.

Autos Insider | GM confirms new shifts, 2,500 jobs in Hamtramck | The Detroit News (http://www.detnews.com/article/20110526/AUTO01/105260342/ - broken link)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-28-2011, 09:45 AM

20,853 posts, read 19,322,755 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by michigan83 View Post
I think another barrier to seeing new manufacturing plants within the city limits of Detroit is the history of incompetent government in Detroit. Not necessarily. It could also be of benefit. Incompetent politicians can easily cave in to big business. Coleman Young helped out GM with the Poletown plant, for example. Also, aren't the property taxes in Detroit ridiculously high? Yes, but big corporations can easily finagle a tax break. I understand that they are in a catch 22 because the tax revenues are falling so drastically, so lowering property taxes would make the problem worse. But I wouldn't want to locate a huge plant in a city that is cash starved, has a history of corruption, and would look at my facility as a cash cow. Seems like a recipe for trouble. It depends on whether or not you have the politicians in your back pocket.

Usually there is a benefit to living somewhere with high property taxes. The benefit is a very high level of services, lots of conveniences, and a very nice place to live. True for people. Not necessarily true for big business. Based on what you are getting as a property owner, Detroit should have the lowest property taxes in the nation. But, again, they are stuck. Lowering taxes to where they should be would instantly bankrupt the city.
Not necessarily. If Detroit were more affordable (or comparable to the affordability of the suburbs), many Detroiters would stay and outsiders would consider moving there (myself included).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Detroit