Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Detroit
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-25-2011, 07:54 PM

3 posts, read 12,136 times

Advertisements

The current population is about 700,000. By the end of 2011 it should be at 650,000. 2012 at 575,000. 2013 at 500,00. But everything should be starting ton get better in Detroit by 2013. Less Homeless, better economy, less criminals. When Detroit gets to 500,000 it will slowly go up again in population as everyone who left Detroit will start to come back for new automotive jobs.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-26-2011, 09:26 AM

21,088 posts, read 29,046,806 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrendenMM View Post
The current population is about 700,000. By the end of 2011 it should be at 650,000. 2012 at 575,000. 2013 at 500,00. But everything should be starting ton get better in Detroit by 2013. Less Homeless, better economy, less criminals. When Detroit gets to 500,000 it will slowly go up again in population as everyone who left Detroit will start to come back for new automotive jobs.

Manufacturing jobs will probably NEVER return to the city. It is too cost prohibitive for businesses like the Big 3 to operate inside city limits. Even Nostradamus would know that.

Old 05-26-2011, 09:30 AM

4,861 posts, read 9,252,659 times
Actually, the Big Three have made several announcements on the local news lately about adding thousands of jobs to local plants, including the North Jefferson Chrysler plant and the Hamtramck GM plant, which will be working two shifts and three shifts, respectively, for the first time in decades. I'm not sure why this isn't national news, but then, I guess if it's anything positive about Detroit they don't want any part of it. Granted, many of these jobs will be going to people who have been laid off and are being called back, but that will at least get them off of the unemployment rolls, and thousands of others will be new hires, so yeah, manufacturing jobs are coming back to Detroit. Isn't that happy news? I think so!

Old 05-26-2011, 10:36 AM

7,237 posts, read 12,686,972 times
Quote:
And your basis for these predictions is what...?

Old 05-26-2011, 10:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by canudigit View Post
Actually, the Big Three have made several announcements on the local news lately about adding thousands of jobs to local plants, including the North Jefferson Chrysler plant and the Hamtramck GM plant, which will be working two shifts and three shifts, respectively, for the first time in decades. I'm not sure why this isn't national news, but then, I guess if it's anything positive about Detroit they don't want any part of it. Granted, many of these jobs will be going to people who have been laid off and are being called back, but that will at least get them off of the unemployment rolls, and thousands of others will be new hires, so yeah, manufacturing jobs are coming back to Detroit. Isn't that happy news? I think so!
The bolded is a big part of the reason why everyone's not "OMG!!! Detroit's coming back and is filled with all sorts of opportunities" over it.

And besides that, what is 5,000-odd jobs at select plants going to do with at least 1 million people in Metro Detroit UNemployed (forget the underemployed). That's not even a 1% improvement in our employment crisis. If you factor in underemployment, at least half of the people in Metro Detroit don't have jobs, and the entry level prospects are quite poor from what I've seen. So basically we force our young folks to go into debt to attend colleges that are just barely subusidized by our state (and I'll be surprised if state funding even puts a dent in our universities' expenses when Tricky Dick is done) just so they can see we have no jobs for them and we end up losing even more people who are supposed to replace our baby boomer who will be dying off soon, because lord knows they can't stay here with fight for the few McJobs and MLM positions (and I doubt they make good commissions now when everyone in the area is strapped for disposable income) when they have a $50,000 loan they must start paying off within 6 months.

And on top of all that, these jobs are only paying $14/hr. After you pay taxes, union dues and for a portion of your benefits how in the world is a person with a family and kids supposed to support their family, unless they're single with absolutely no debt obligations? Minimum living wage in Metro Detroit is $40,000 per year, and that's just to have the bare minimun necessities.

Sorry, but most people live in reality. It's not about being positive or negative about everything. The facts are the facts.

Last edited by 313Weather; 05-26-2011 at 10:59 AM..

Old 05-26-2011, 05:38 PM

3,130 posts, read 3,052,609 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 313Weather View Post
The bolded is a big part of the reason why everyone's not "OMG!!! Detroit's coming back and is filled with all sorts of opportunities" over it.

And besides that, what is 5,000-odd jobs at select plants going to do with at least 1 million people in Metro Detroit UNemployed (forget the underemployed). That's not even a 1% improvement in our employment crisis. If you factor in underemployment, at least half of the people in Metro Detroit don't have jobs, and the entry level prospects are quite poor from what I've seen. So basically we force our young folks to go into debt to attend colleges that are just barely subusidized by our state (and I'll be surprised if state funding even puts a dent in our universities' expenses when Tricky Dick is done) just so they can see we have no jobs for them and we end up losing even more people who are supposed to replace our baby boomer who will be dying off soon, because lord knows they can't stay here with fight for the few McJobs and MLM positions (and I doubt they make good commissions now when everyone in the area is strapped for disposable income) when they have a $50,000 loan they must start paying off within 6 months.

And on top of all that, these jobs are only paying $14/hr. After you pay taxes, union dues and for a portion of your benefits how in the world is a person with a family and kids supposed to support their family, unless they're single with absolutely no debt obligations? Minimum living wage in Metro Detroit is $40,000 per year, and that's just to have the bare minimun necessities.

Sorry, but most people live in reality. It's not about being positive or negative about everything. The facts are the facts.
There aren't a million unemployed people in Metro Detroit. There are about 5 million people total in the area, and probably about 3 million in the labor force, since some of the population is children, stay-at-home parents, and retirees.

Just wanted to point out some numbers.

Old 05-26-2011, 06:05 PM

20,879 posts, read 19,336,057 times
Quote:
... everyone who left Detroit will start to come back...
Unlikely, but maybe their grandchildren. An interesting trend has/is happening. As blacks continue to flee in large numbers, the grandchildren of whites who fled decades ago are exploring the potential of Detroit, especially downtown.

Quote:
...for new automotive jobs.
Probably not, except for the existing factories, as noted. A new car factory in the city would do wonders, but I can't image in soon. I think most new jobs will be created by small businesses: restaurants, shops, entertainment, art, etc. Manufacturing won't come back until we correct our foreign trade policy (don't get me started on the tariff!).

Old 05-26-2011, 07:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbmsu01 View Post
There aren't a million unemployed people in Metro Detroit. There are about 5 million people total in the area, and probably about 3 million in the labor force, since some of the population is children, stay-at-home parents, and retirees.

Just wanted to point out some numbers.
Meh, half-million people is still a lot.

Either way it doesn't really change my point.

Old 05-27-2011, 10:57 AM

3,119 posts, read 6,562,525 times
Quote:
Probably not, except for the existing factories, as noted. A new car factory in the city would do wonders, but I can't image in soon. I think most new jobs will be created by small businesses: restaurants, shops, entertainment, art, etc. Manufacturing won't come back until we correct our foreign trade policy (don't get me started on the tariff!).
I think another barrier to seeing new manufacturing plants within the city limits of Detroit is the history of incompetent government in Detroit. Also, aren't the property taxes in Detroit ridiculously high? I understand that they are in a catch 22 because the tax revenues are falling so drastically, so lowering property taxes would make the problem worse. But I wouldn't want to locate a huge plant in a city that is cash starved, has a history of corruption, and would look at my facility as a cash cow. Seems like a recipe for trouble.

Usually there is a benefit to living somewhere with high property taxes. The benefit is a very high level of services, lots of conveniences, and a very nice place to live. Based on what you are getting as a property owner, Detroit should have the lowest property taxes in the nation. But, again, they are stuck. Lowering taxes to where they should be would instantly bankrupt the city.

Old 05-27-2011, 12:00 PM

1,900 posts, read 5,872,433 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 313Weather View Post
Question- if the workers who are being hired for this plant are all on some layoff list, won't they be making $25+ an hour, being grandfathered into the old system?

I agree with the post claiming Detroit's tax structure is prohibitive. This is not a new concept. Northland and Eastland were built right across the street from Detroit for a reason. Too bad for them the annexation laws in this state are so difficult.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Detroit