U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Detroit
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 06-20-2011, 08:31 PM
 
7,237 posts, read 12,177,274 times
Reputation: 5623

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by detroitlove View Post
how is it inaccurate?
Your claim that there are no gangs in Detroit is just as accurate as the claim that Detroit is full of poor and under employed/educated people.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 06-20-2011, 08:33 PM
 
7,237 posts, read 12,177,274 times
Reputation: 5623
Quote:
Originally Posted by detroitlove View Post
that shows you don't live in the city.
Because I said your claims that there are no gangs in Detroit is just as accurate as the claim that Detroit is full of poor and under employed/educated people?

That's quite a conclusion from that statement.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-20-2011, 08:35 PM
 
Location: Detroit's eastside, downtown Detroit in near future!
2,055 posts, read 4,178,452 times
Reputation: 692
Quote:
Originally Posted by 313Weather View Post
Your claim that there are no gangs in Detroit is just as accurate as the claim that Detroit is full of poor and under employed/educated people.
whatever 313wheather you don't know what you're talking about. That clearly shows when you started naming Chicago and LA gangs as a big thing here amongst the hustlers. You can go back in Detroit history and see that isn't true. you can hang around the city a day and see thats not the case. The only people who think Detroit is full of actual "gangs" are people who looking from outside in, making assumptions and stereotyping dudes in the city. In Detroit its more about what mile you live on rather than the color you wear or the way you wear your belt. But you would know that since you "live" in the city right? lmfao
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-20-2011, 08:38 PM
 
7,237 posts, read 12,177,274 times
Reputation: 5623
Quote:
Originally Posted by detroitlove View Post
whatever 313wheather you don't know what you're talking about.
Again, people in glass houses shouldn't throw stones.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-21-2011, 09:15 AM
 
72 posts, read 141,776 times
Reputation: 58
Tell you what. How about we just substitute the word "organized thugs" for "gangs" and just agree that crime of all types is a huge problem in Detroit? Let's cut out the semantics arguments and call it what it is: A gigantic crime generator with an ineffective criminal justice system. Just the kind of place you don't mind visiting every now and then for entertainment but highly non-conducive to family life.

By the way, detroitlove, what's your take on the status of the American family institution right now in the city of Detroit and what is anyone doing to improve the outlook?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-21-2011, 10:20 PM
 
318 posts, read 836,980 times
Reputation: 211
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slappy san View Post
Ghetto? Just say it "******" hood and be done with it. It's an unremarkable neighborhood with some vacancies in a city that has less than half the amount of people it should. Foreclosure aren't just a Detroit thing or hadn't you noticed. Did roving gangs show up in the last half of the video and I missed it. Ghetto? What ghetto?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slappy san View Post
Walking the streets at night? Why would you be walking there at night if you don't have business there in the first place? I live in this city and I don't just randomly walk residential neighborhoods for kicks. This is how people find problems, because they are ****ing idiots! That or they are looking for something so they can say "See! I told ya" while in reality they were looking for drugs or a hooker in the city.
Uhh, I grew up there, assface. I very well might have the opportunity to return someday to check things out. I mean, isn't that kinda what I did looking around on google streetview, without physically being there? I'd walk around for the same reason I posted this thread and went onto google--I'm interested in it. And for the record, I DO like to "walk residential neighborhoods for kicks," since you care so damn much to know. I spent 2 months living on the Greyhound bus this year doing NOTHING but just "walking around residential [albeit with industrial neighborhoods, too] neighborhoods for kicks." I like to observe. And I'm a paid, professional photographer. Not a hooker, not looking for one, not a drug dealer, and not looking for them. Again, you're WRONG.

Got a problem with that? I don't care.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slappy san View Post
And you're in Colorado but you are jumping into a Detroit thread to throw dirt on the city? Why? I don't make a habit of going to CO or anywhere else just for kicks. Where is the appeal if you don't actually care about the area. Were you thinking of moving to the city? Were you thinking of visiting so you can take pictures of decay to get your rocks off? Oh yeah, throwing dirt. Easy pickings.
DUDE, did you forget that THIS IS MY THREAD?! Yeah, I went to Colorado for college. What the **** is it to you? And just because I call something ghetto doesn’t mean I despise it. In fact, I THINK IT’S BEAUTIFUL. See some of the other things I’ve written on other threads on the Detroit forum. I'm sorry you have such a problem with the word "ghetto" and equate it with "throwing dirt." That said, I don't care. I care about Detroit (nice assumption otherwise, prick)--I don't care that you have such skewed ideas that play right into the media, equating "ghetto" with "slum" or "the projects" or even "unsafe".



Quote:
Originally Posted by Slappy san View Post
Get the **** outta here. I don't mean that quite literally but come on dude. It's like driving across town to beat and **** on a dead horse because everybody cool is doing it. How were you people raised? Did you Ma and Pa teach you to point and laugh at everything that didn't look like you and yours?
Again, this is MY THREAD, sweetie. Don’t like it? YOU LEAVE.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slappy san View Post
I'd never want to be the type to say "Stay out and shut up." but it's an epidemic with outsiders with an axe to grind or a chubby for some ruins or just a hatred for a city of "those people". Maybe the old "Stop complaining and do something." is true in this case.
So I’m an outsider because I’ve been gone since 08 and had to move from Warrendale itself in 96 when my parents divorced when I was 5, eh? Whatever, douchebag.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slappy san View Post
I ***** and complain about my city but I'm living in it. I don't have some seedy issue that informs my views on it. It's about what it is and not about getting all my information from talking heads on TV while staying far away so I can't have that narrative derailed.
Uhh, good for you? Who ever said I was bitching and complaining? I asked a goddamn question (with some VERY FOND MEMORIES IN MIND, thankyouverymuch)—what’s my old neighborhood like these days?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slappy san View Post
Take care of home base and stopping ****ting on another city and it's people to make yourself feel somehow superior. You go to church, right? Is this the way of your teachings? Never mind, don't answer that.
Again, this is my home base. Sure, I left in ’08 and went to college. And I’m moving to Saint Louis—rather than back to the D or anywhere else—this December when I graduate. But hey, great job paying attention to the first post in this thread. Better still, great job having some sensationalist idea of what the word “ghetto” means. LOL.

get the fawk over yourself and stop being so defensive and big-headed over nothing. Please.

Last edited by alamosakid; 06-21-2011 at 10:41 PM..
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-21-2011, 10:40 PM
 
Location: Detroit
655 posts, read 2,115,157 times
Reputation: 204
I see my two edits totally made no dent. It's cool though. I'll stick around just the same. Detroit is my home so I read the threads.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-21-2011, 10:47 PM
 
318 posts, read 836,980 times
Reputation: 211
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slappy san View Post
I see my two edits totally made no dent. It's cool though. I'll stick around just the same. Detroit is my home so I read the threads.
Ok, so I went back and reread your edit. I don't see how it changes anything. You basically said that what I quoted above wasn't "just" in response to me. That means it was NOT ONLY in response to me, but in response to others. To confirm, this is exactly what you said shortly thereafter--"It's [in response] to this post, others by the same individual as well as hundreds of others."

In other words, your edit basically says you stand by what you said. In fact, you broadened the scope and are throwing your petty, misinformed insults and assumptions at plenty of others.

Here's the edit I assume you were talking about.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slappy san View Post
EDIT: Again, this rambling post is not just a response to the quoted post. It's to this post, others by the same individual as well as hundreds of others. I probably did not make that clear in my initial writings. Don't worry, I know I should do a thorough edit to make this clear. I should cite/quote what I'm talking about. I heard it all from my Journalism teacher to my English teacher, my Honors English teacher, my Creative Writing teacher and on and on and on. I'm not getting graded though and no one is required to read it. It won't fit the narrative most push. It's best bet is to be nodded at by the few folks living in the city or torn apart by those who'd rather criticize my poor writing skill.
And for the record, poor writing skill? I think you write pretty much just fine, it's your reading comprehension and critical thinking skills that are lacking, at least on this thread. The fact that you brought up a practically irrelevant edit only proves this further. The smart thing to do when you made your silly edit would have been to erase (did you know you could do that? LOL) all the lies, misconstruancies, and logically indefensible assumptions in your laughable attack on me before I ever even saw them. You had 2 days, after all; I was gone on business and just now checked this thread again, only to be stunned by your ignorant post.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-21-2011, 11:06 PM
 
Location: Detroit
655 posts, read 2,115,157 times
Reputation: 204
I stand by my post. I'm not going to hide from it. I made those additions to the post to clarify. If you don't like it, that's fine. You have some righteous indignation on your side so I won't take you continued insults to heart. So I hope you are quite done because I believe you have made your point. I disagree of course. Yet more insults would only weaken your points. But I can't and won't stop you from continuing.

When you come back to Detroit, be sure to take pictures of the regular old boring neighborhoods that do exist in abundance despite what people on these boards and in the real world would have people believe. You might shock them by saying you weren't beaten or robbed at every turn. But then again, boring middle class neighborhoods aren't as sexy as the worst of the worst. People going about their business and not bothering others won't fit the narrative either.

So again, this isn't an apology. This is simply me engaging in a discussion. Agreement isn't necessary for people to discuss anything. I'm sure you can find others who'd be more than happy to give a skewed and morally questionable view of the city of which I live. I'm used to it. It played apart in my long rambling post. Yours was simply that straw.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-22-2011, 12:08 AM
 
318 posts, read 836,980 times
Reputation: 211
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slappy san View Post
I stand by my post. I'm not going to hide from it. I made those additions to the post to clarify. If you don't like it, that's fine. You have some righteous indignation on your side so I won't take you continued insults to heart. So I hope you are quite done because I believe you have made your point. I disagree of course. Yet more insults would only weaken your points. But I can't and won't stop you from continuing.

When you come back to Detroit, be sure to take pictures of the regular old boring neighborhoods that do exist in abundance despite what people on these boards and in the real world would have people believe. You might shock them by saying you weren't beaten or robbed at every turn. But then again, boring middle class neighborhoods aren't as sexy as the worst of the worst. People going about their business and not bothering others won't fit the narrative either.

So again, this isn't an apology. This is simply me engaging in a discussion. Agreement isn't necessary for people to discuss anything. I'm sure you can find others who'd be more than happy to give a skewed and morally questionable view of the city of which I live. I'm used to it. It played apart in my long rambling post. Yours was simply that straw.
If I "don't like it"? Uhh, you just stood there and glaringly lied about me, dude, repeatedly, and then tried to use those lies you invented against me all the while having no idea what you were talking about with much of what you said. You wouldn't "like" that either, and yet you have the gall to call me the one with some "righteous indignation," while you try to blame your laughable post on your "bad" writing skills despite the fact that you find it necessary to point out that you went to creative writing class and honors classes.

And then you suggest that people from inside the city borders would just "nod along" with a post that makes not the slightest bit of sense and is preceeded by the post it lies about--Who is INSULTING the people of Detroit now? LOL

And still, you're insisting you didn't lie. You disagree with the fact that I made a point in calling you out on most of the things. What, do you want me to provide you with a birth certificate, and more pics of my childhood? Do you need me to pull out a screenshot of the first post so that you have concrete proof that I wrote it since you apparently refuse to press the back button or that little number "1" down below? Do you need to see my employment contract and all of the pictures I took in my teen years in the various places I lived of all of the industrial blocks and neighborhoods I snapped in order to believe that I have a legitimate interest in places of such--I mean, I grew up in that after all? Is that really what it would take for you to just step up and say "my bad"? Please, on behalf of the rest of the people of Detroit, prove to me you're not that goddamn ignorant/stubborn, whichever you're making me think it is if not both.

Since you're fond of using cliche quotes, ever heard that saying "quit while you're still ahead" or "stop digging your own grave?" Yeah, try one of em. Here's your chance to do something good and "be the bigger man."

Last edited by alamosakid; 06-22-2011 at 01:08 AM..
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Detroit

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 03:09 PM.

© 2005-2022, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top