Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Detroit
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-19-2011, 07:03 PM

Location: Detroit's eastside, downtown Detroit in near future!
2,053 posts, read 4,393,330 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jackson Belle Grande View Post
If you're the one who said Warrendale was "nice", then yeah. Not sure why you're shaking your head. It's pretty clearly a dump on the way to being a ghetto. The only redeeming factor is that in Detroit, there will always be a place to make Warrendale look "Detroit nice".

Instead of just shaking your head, can you tell us a little more articulately why you think Warrendale is a nice neighborhood by reasonably objective standards? Used to be nice? Sure. Nice now? No way.
first and foremost before you direct anything towards read what I said. "decent" does not equal nice. I have a friend who lives in the area off of W Warren, like I said I don't know how the whole neighborhood looks so I'm not going to judge but from what I know of the neighborhood its not Brightmoore, like someone else stated
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-19-2011, 07:22 PM

318 posts, read 870,153 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by detroitlove View Post
lol right Slappy San, just like Brightmoor to me *rolls eyes*

but the video was very boring .

from what I know of the area, it is still decent. Like some other neighborhoods around the city that suffered in the last couple of years, it wouldn't look as "bad" smh as it does if people wouldn't complain about empty homes all the while looking to move into Southfield or some other suburb
Exactly what I was thinking lol. Sure, it's ghetto, just like it was when I was there. But would I hesitate to walk around alone probably even at night (even with the "your street gets street lights every other week" policy they had back then)? Nahhhh!

Old 06-19-2011, 07:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by detroitlove View Post
first and foremost before you direct anything towards read what I said. "decent" does not equal nice. I have a friend who lives in the area off of W Warren, like I said I don't know how the whole neighborhood looks so I'm not going to judge but from what I know of the neighborhood its not Brightmoore, like someone else stated
And I'll just add that I totally understood the difference between "decent" and "nice." Lets say that decent is 6/10+ and nice is 8/10+. Not that you were directing any criticism towards me anyway, but yeah, I'm on your side, your post made sense and I'm not sure how anyone could construe it otherwise.

Old 06-19-2011, 07:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 313Weather View Post
Someone from another forum who grew up in the same neighborhood posted a video showing how it looks currently on YouTube. What I saw was quite depressing to say the least.

YouTube - ‪Talkin' Warrendale Blues‬‏
Boring or not, THANK YOU!

Old 06-19-2011, 08:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by alamosakid View Post
Exactly what I was thinking lol. Sure, it's ghetto, just like it was when I was there. But would I hesitate to walk around alone probably even at night (even with the "your street gets street lights every other week" policy they had back then)? Nahhhh!
and this is exactly what I was thinking. My friends streets is actually "nice". Most of the homes taken care of, nice lawns etc. Like other parts of the city, go a few streets down and its some empty bored up homes on some blocks. But if you think Warrendale is anywhere near as bad as brightmoore, you obviously don't know what you're talking about. I live far east, almost as north you can go in city limits so I'm not wasting my gas to drive to Warrendale (or Brightmoore) to know every single street looks like. But like you said, I feel very unsafe in Brightmoore (since this punk tried to carjack me smh) I've never felt that way in Warrendale

Old 06-19-2011, 08:28 PM

655 posts, read 2,202,639 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alamosakid View Post
Ghetto? Just say it "******" hood and be done with it. It's an unremarkable neighborhood with some vacancies in a city that has less than half the amount of people it should. Foreclosure aren't just a Detroit thing or hadn't you noticed. Did roving gangs show up in the last half of the video and I missed it. Ghetto? What ghetto?

Walking the streets at night? Why would you be walking there at night if you don't have business there in the first place? I live in this city and I don't just randomly walk residential neighborhoods for kicks. This is how people find problems, because they are ****ing idiots! That or they are looking for something so they can say "See! I told ya" while in reality they were looking for drugs or a hooker in the city.

And you're in Colorado but you are jumping into a Detroit thread to throw dirt on the city? Why? I don't make a habit of going to CO or anywhere else just for kicks. Where is the appeal if you don't actually care about the area. Were you thinking of moving to the city? Were you thinking of visiting so you can take pictures of decay to get your rocks off? Oh yeah, throwing dirt. Easy pickings.

Get the **** outta here. I don't mean that quite literally but come on dude. It's like driving across town to beat and **** on a dead horse because everybody cool is doing it. How were you people raised? Did you Ma and Pa teach you to point and laugh at everything that didn't look like you and yours?

I'd never want to be the type to say "Stay out and shut up." but it's an epidemic with outsiders with an axe to grind or a chubby for some ruins or just a hatred for a city of "those people". Maybe the old "Stop complaining and do something." is true in this case.

I ***** and complain about my city but I'm living in it. I don't have some seedy issue that informs my views on it. It's about what it is and not about getting all my information from talking heads on TV while staying far away so I can't have that narrative derailed.

There are plenty of decent homes,neighborhoods and people in this city. The city is suffering because it's missing around half of it's tax base. There is of course corruption as with any city but that huge chunk of missing money drags everything down. It's not just race but it plays a significant part both good and bad. Anyone who thinks differently probably has some issues far beyond Detroit.

Maybe I should run over to LA's forum or Boulder's and just spit poorly informed and worthless vitriol all over there. Oh yeah, I won't because it's worthless. Besides, those places aren't the whipping boys that Detroit has and will seemingly forever be unless someone comes in and sweeps anyone with enough melanin and small pockets off into someone else's gutter. Gentrification, ya know?

Apologizes for the ramble. I no doubt have typos coming out of the ying yang but I really don't wish to edit at this time. This will only probably be read enough to be picked apart for fun anyway.

As I have said on many forums (not boards), I am not racist. I am if anything a classist. Why? Because it's sickening how the wealthy elite have brainwashed people below them to hate people of another color or of a lesser back account while allowing them to take more of your money and rights while pushing you closer together and them farther away from you. Wake the **** up people!

And one more thing, even though I quoted you, I'm not claiming it's all about you. I don't know you. I will never meet you. So I don't know what goes spinning around in your melon. I don't know what you say about Detroit or people of other races/religions weather they be Black, Hispanics, Jews, Pols or whatever. I don't even know if you're Black, White, Purple or Green and in the end of the day, I don't really care one way or another.

Take care of home base and stopping ****ting on another city and it's people to make yourself feel somehow superior. You go to church, right? Is this the way of your teachings? Never mind, don't answer that.

So ends my ramble. And no..I'm not mad. I wouldn't spit on your or anyone else who thinks differently no matter how vile the reasoning. I'd just smh and carry on worrying about doing something positive if the fat cats would only let me.

The end....

EDIT: Again, this rambling post is not just a response to the quoted post. It's to this post, others by the same individual as well as hundreds of others. I probably did not make that clear in my initial writings. Don't worry, I know I should do a thorough edit to make this clear. I should cite/quote what I'm talking about. I heard it all from my Journalism teacher to my English teacher, my Honors English teacher, my Creative Writing teacher and on and on and on. I'm not getting graded though and no one is required to read it. It won't fit the narrative most push. It's best bet is to be nodded at by the few folks living in the city or torn apart by those who'd rather criticize my poor writing skill.

In the words of Big Mike... "That's Life"

Last edited by Slappy san; 06-19-2011 at 08:47 PM.. Reason: Added an edit..

Old 06-20-2011, 04:37 AM

72 posts, read 150,492 times
Nice: A neighborhood of almost all occupant-owned houses (except for apartments) where the houses AND property are well-maintained. That means broken things get fixed and garbage gets picked up and people don't wait for the government to remove the debris form the storm drain so the whole block doesn't flood....

Decent. Some rentals but the houses are still maintained. Maybe some vacant houses that haven't been stripped of HVAC and copper plumbing, public schools that are still acceptable, grass is still cut, you're not afraid to walk to the corner store after dark.

Ghetto: Many rentals, front doors on several houses on each block (with no storm doors) are left open all day, living room furniture on the front porch, a dope house that everyone knows is a dope house, people walk down the middle of the street, trees growing through cracks in sidewalks and driveways, gang graffiti, garage doors reversed on their hinges or falling down altogether, every store in the area advertises that they accept Bridge Cards, every store in the area accepts Bridge Cards for every item in the store including non-food items, burned out buildings that have been torched by the landlord, boarded-up, burned-out buildings that are not secure and have been plundered by copper thieves and left open, public schools that are unacceptable, parochial schools that have closed, gun shots at night, every night. You're afraid to let your wife or kids out of the house after dark on foot. Grass more than 8 inches high at more than one house on each block, streets don't get plowed in the winter and a 10+ minute police response time for major crimes in progress. More residents make a living with a "hustle" as opposed to a job where they pay taxes.

I could go on, but Warrendale is not nice and it's not decent anymore.

Old 06-20-2011, 02:10 PM

7,237 posts, read 12,739,473 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jackson Belle Grande View Post
Nice: A neighborhood of almost all occupant-owned houses (except for apartments) where the houses AND property are well-maintained. That means broken things get fixed and garbage gets picked up and people don't wait for the government to remove the debris form the storm drain so the whole block doesn't flood....

Decent. Some rentals but the houses are still maintained. Maybe some vacant houses that haven't been stripped of HVAC and copper plumbing, public schools that are still acceptable, grass is still cut, you're not afraid to walk to the corner store after dark.

Ghetto: Many rentals, front doors on several houses on each block (with no storm doors) are left open all day, living room furniture on the front porch, a dope house that everyone knows is a dope house, people walk down the middle of the street, trees growing through cracks in sidewalks and driveways, gang graffiti, garage doors reversed on their hinges or falling down altogether, every store in the area advertises that they accept Bridge Cards, every store in the area accepts Bridge Cards for every item in the store including non-food items, burned out buildings that have been torched by the landlord, boarded-up, burned-out buildings that are not secure and have been plundered by copper thieves and left open, public schools that are unacceptable, parochial schools that have closed, gun shots at night, every night. You're afraid to let your wife or kids out of the house after dark on foot. Grass more than 8 inches high at more than one house on each block, streets don't get plowed in the winter and a 10+ minute police response time for major crimes in progress. More residents make a living with a "hustle" as opposed to a job where they pay taxes.

I could go on, but Warrendale is not nice and it's not decent anymore.
Yes, this about sums it up.

Again, Warrendale is nice for Detroit's standards. Perhaps the problem is Detroiters are so used to sub-par aesthetics (with all the blight and dysfunctional city government) that they can't actualy recognize the difference between a good or bad thing.

Old 06-20-2011, 02:13 PM

7,237 posts, read 12,739,473 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slappy san View Post
I ***** and complain about my city but I'm living in it.
So do I. But that doesn't give you or me a right to police what other people think or say about anything.

Old 06-20-2011, 04:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 313Weather View Post
Yes, this about sums it up.

Again, Warrendale is nice for Detroit's standards. Perhaps the problem is Detroiters are so used to sub-par aesthetics (with all the blight and dysfunctional city government) that they can't actualy recognize the difference between a good or bad thing.
I really wish your Anti-Detroit self would move smh
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Detroit