Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Detroit
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-06-2011, 09:07 PM

57 posts, read 171,152 times

Advertisements

Hi!!

I am moving to the Detroit area next month and wanted to start looking for apartments. I will be working in Troy and want to be around other young professionals. I was thinking the Royal Oak area? Does anyone have any other suggestions? Also, any specifics on apartments? I am looking to spend around $650-$700 on a one bedroom or studio. Thank you!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-07-2011, 06:53 AM

30,708 posts, read 79,820,680 times
The more exciting places for 20 - 30 s with no kids: Royal Oak, Ferndale, Downtown, Midtown, Corktown, Ann Arbor, maybe Wyandotte.

Lots of young uns live all over the place, Plymouth, Ann Arbor, Livonia, Dearborn, Grosse Pointes, heck we have even started allowing people under 40 to live in Grosse Ile.

If you are wealthy and like people to know it go live in Birmingham.

Old 06-07-2011, 10:58 AM

1,497 posts, read 3,491,264 times
If you will be working in Troy, Royal Oak is your best bet for purposes of having a tolerable commute. There are lots of young professionals in Royal Oak, especially in and around downtown Royal Oak. There are some generic apartment complexes in Royal Oak, but the best housing (in my opinion) is older houses converted into flats or rental units. Ideally, you probably want to live within walking distance of RO's downtown area. There are quite a few bars, clubs, restaurants, coffee shops, and little retailers there, as well as a pretty active street scene. You are also not too far from downtown Detroit, where the region's major entertainment venues are located.

My biggest qualm with Royal Oak is that it is too yuppie, a little pretentious, and sometimes resembles a frat party more than a diverse urban environment. It is also relatively small, but there's enough stuff there to keep most people occupied for a while. They also just opened up a really cool movie theater/bowling alley right downtown. Personally, I prefer downtown Detroit over Royal Oak, but honestly, your commute time/distance should probably be the most important factor.

Looking for housing in Royal Oak is not super easy. At one time, I was doing some research, and I realized that it's hard to find houses for rent without actually driving the neighborhoods. I would try Craigslist if you're looking for a flat within walking distance of downtown. You shouldn't have a problem finding something in your price range, though. I have a few friends who rent for $600-800 in that area. However, if you want to live right at the center of downtown, it's mostly condos and they are usually very expensive, like $250k+.

Outside of Royal Oak, there really isn't much close to Troy that fits your description, except maybe Birmingham, which is like Royal Oak's uber rich cousin. While Birmingham has a small, upscale downtown area like Royal Oak, you may have trouble finding something within your price range. Birmingham can also seem a little snobbish, which will be for pretty obvious reasons if go there. Bars and restaurants in Birmingham can also be equally pricey. Birmingham is a community that doesn't attempt to mask its wealth, and unlike the rest of Metro Detroit, BMW, Mercedes, and Audis are just as common as Chevys, Fords and Chryslers. But, you will find some better-off-than-thou young professionals living there.

Good luck on your move, and welcome to Metro Detroit!

Old 06-07-2011, 11:39 AM

7,032 posts, read 14,485,551 times
Downtown Rochester or Birmingham.. if you want something more affordable, Royal Oak.

Old 06-09-2011, 08:06 AM

57 posts, read 171,152 times
Thanks everyone! Looks like I am leaning towards Royal Oak!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Detroit