U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Detroit
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-10-2011, 03:28 PM

12 posts, read 36,113 times

Advertisements

I am a young woman in my mid-20s, from an extremely small town north of Rochester, and am currently house-hunting for my first home. I am seriously considering a move to Grosse Pointe Woods. I have visited the area a few times and have fallen in love with it. The other cities I'm looking at are Birmingham, Berkley, Huntington Woods, and parts of Royal Oak. My heart is telling me Grosse Pointe, but for whatever reason I'm afraid to take the plunge. The things I love about Grosse Pointe are the amazing housing stock, walkability, Lake St. Clair, amazing parks, and the smaller-town feel I get from it. Although I'm in my 20s, I'm a homebody and not a bar-hopping type at all, so I think I would feel more comfortable in a family-friendly area even though I don't plan on having children. My family is originally from Oakland County and are not familiar with the Pointes at all, which I think is making me nervous to move there. The small town I am from has almost zero crime, and issues like car thefts and robberies are completely unheard of. I realize that any of the suburbs I move to will have some of these issues, and I know that the Pointes' crime statistics are about the same as the Oakland County 'burbs I am looking at. However, the proximity to Detroit and Harper Woods is a little scary to me (the dividing lines between the Park and Detroit especially). Also, the crazy-low home prices are concerning to me as well because they seem a bit lower than the Oakland Country areas I'm looking at and I have to wonder why. I have read online that North High School is declining, and I am nervous about what will happen to the desirability of the area if the schools get worse. I suppose what my fears come down to is the question in my mind of whether or not Grosse Pointe will remain such a beautiful place. Is it possible it could experience the decline that surrounding cities have experienced, or is it impossible that could happen there? I am afraid that I will buy a house and the area will change completely. I truly love the Pointes more than any other area in southeast Michigan, so I hope my fears are irrational.
Quick reply to this message

Old 06-11-2011, 10:08 AM

1,497 posts, read 3,428,710 times
You are not going to have many, if any, problems in Grosse Pointe Woods. Crime is a non-issue based on people I know who live in the Woods. Also, if Grosse Pointe Woods ever deteriorates to the point that you are talking about, the entire Metro area is up for grabs. I don't expect GPW to deteriorate at all unless something catastrophic happens.

Old 06-12-2011, 11:09 AM

Location: Detroit's eastside, downtown Detroit in near future!
2,055 posts, read 4,300,670 times
Wow everytime someone mentions this "dividing line between Detroit and GP" I laugh! its hilarious to me. Are you all blind? Last I checked there only ONE section of the city on the border that has that extreme difference and that near Chalmers. Then there is EEV which is nice and directly across from GP, Corner Stone Village on the GP and Harper Woods border. Smh

Old 06-12-2011, 06:03 PM

385 posts, read 708,567 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by detroitlove View Post
Wow everytime someone mentions this "dividing line between Detroit and GP" I laugh! its hilarious to me. Are you all blind? Last I checked there only ONE section of the city on the border that has that extreme difference and that near Chalmers. Then there is EEV which is nice and directly across from GP, Corner Stone Village on the GP and Harper Woods border. Smh
so true but i think its cause of the road people take to downtown often so thats why its more noticed. chalmers is nice tho, backyards with docks. jeff may suck there but take a look at the backstreets so much potential.

Old 06-18-2011, 06:26 PM

1,742 posts, read 3,922,287 times
Chalmers doesn't go near Grosse Pointe. Not sure why Chalmers has been brought up.

Grosse Pointe Woods is roughly between Moross and 8 Mile, and goes from somewhere between 94 and Mack, to around Jefferson. There are different areas within Grosse Pointe Woods. I used to live in Harper Woods between Mack and 94. Great area. The crime in Harper Woods is mostly around Eastland Mall. There have been shootings and carjackings at the mall. The Eastland Village apartments have developed a reputation for drugs. My advice? Don't go to Eastland Mall. The actual neighborhood streets of Harper Woods are nice, especially the closer you get to Grosse Pointe. There is this Detroit phobia with Grosse Pointe, but just look at the statistics. Grosse Pointe over the last decade has had some of the lowest crime in the entire metro area over the past decade. If the Grosee Pointes were in northern Oakland county, everyone would say how safe and lovely they are. Grosse Pointe North is still a fine school. The reason people don't like it, is because there are a lot of black kids from Harper Woods who go there. Most of these black kids came from Detroit Public and are behind the other kids so it reflects in test scores. It's a perfectly fine school. A lot of black families are leaving Detroit for Harper Woods for the better services and Grosse Pointe schools. The quality of teaching hasn't declined.

I have since moved to Huntington Woods. I moved because I work in Auburn Hills and my wife works in Royal Oak. I was also able to double my money in less than three years on my house in Harper Woods. Huntington Woods isn't talked about much on these forums. It's one of the best kept secrets in the Detroit area. The housing stock is similar to Grosse Pointe, it has private parks and private recreation facilities and a private pool. The city has no busy streets running through it. You can walk from one end of the city to the other without crossing a busy street. Lots of families and terrific schools. Housing prices have held up through the decline. In fact, Huntington Woods is the only city in southern Oakland county to have gained population this past decade. You are also within walking distance of downtown Royal Oak. In fact, i'm closer to downtown Royal Oak than a lot of people in Royal Oak. Also situated near the 696/75 interchange so you have easy access to Detroit and other areas. Of course it isn't cheap. House prices are high. Grosse Pointe is still cheaper. I liked the location of Huntington Woods in relation to my work and being near Dowtown Royal Oak. Grosse Pointe Woods has a nice range of housing stock with smaller bungalows in the west, some 1950's ranches, and large colonials. I would recommend either area. Hell I would recommend Harper Woods. You can live on the same street, same neighborhood, same schools as Grosee Pointe Woods and pay less taxes and get a nice house for well under 100k.

Old 06-19-2011, 05:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scolls View Post
Chalmers doesn't go near Grosse Pointe. Not sure why Chalmers has been brought up.

Grosse Pointe Woods is roughly between Moross and 8 Mile, and goes from somewhere between 94 and Mack, to around Jefferson. There are different areas within Grosse Pointe Woods. I used to live in Harper Woods between Mack and 94. Great area. The crime in Harper Woods is mostly around Eastland Mall. There have been shootings and carjackings at the mall. The Eastland Village apartments have developed a reputation for drugs. My advice? Don't go to Eastland Mall. The actual neighborhood streets of Harper Woods are nice, especially the closer you get to Grosse Pointe. There is this Detroit phobia with Grosse Pointe, but just look at the statistics. Grosse Pointe over the last decade has had some of the lowest crime in the entire metro area over the past decade. If the Grosee Pointes were in northern Oakland county, everyone would say how safe and lovely they are. Grosse Pointe North is still a fine school. The reason people don't like it, is because there are a lot of black kids from Harper Woods who go there. Most of these black kids came from Detroit Public and are behind the other kids so it reflects in test scores. It's a perfectly fine school. A lot of black families are leaving Detroit for Harper Woods for the better services and Grosse Pointe schools. The quality of teaching hasn't declined.

I have since moved to Huntington Woods. I moved because I work in Auburn Hills and my wife works in Royal Oak. I was also able to double my money in less than three years on my house in Harper Woods. Huntington Woods isn't talked about much on these forums. It's one of the best kept secrets in the Detroit area. The housing stock is similar to Grosse Pointe, it has private parks and private recreation facilities and a private pool. The city has no busy streets running through it. You can walk from one end of the city to the other without crossing a busy street. Lots of families and terrific schools. Housing prices have held up through the decline. In fact, Huntington Woods is the only city in southern Oakland county to have gained population this past decade. You are also within walking distance of downtown Royal Oak. In fact, i'm closer to downtown Royal Oak than a lot of people in Royal Oak. Also situated near the 696/75 interchange so you have easy access to Detroit and other areas. Of course it isn't cheap. House prices are high. Grosse Pointe is still cheaper. I liked the location of Huntington Woods in relation to my work and being near Dowtown Royal Oak. Grosse Pointe Woods has a nice range of housing stock with smaller bungalows in the west, some 1950's ranches, and large colonials. I would recommend either area. Hell I would recommend Harper Woods. You can live on the same street, same neighborhood, same schools as Grosee Pointe Woods and pay less taxes and get a nice house for well under 100k.

what are you talking about? Chalmers borders GP all the way to Jefferson in the morningside/east english village neighborhood

Old 06-19-2011, 07:51 PM

1,742 posts, read 3,922,287 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by detroitlove View Post
what are you talking about? Chalmers borders GP all the way to Jefferson in the morningside/east english village neighborhood
You must be thinking Mack. Chalmers is entirely in Detroit. Chalmers isn't even in the East English neighborhood. Hell Chalmers is past Warren, 94, Kelly and Hayes before it turns back towards Jefferson.

Old 06-19-2011, 08:39 PM

Quote:
You must be thinking Mack. Chalmers is entirely in Detroit. Chalmers isn't even in the East English neighborhood. Hell Chalmers is past Warren, 94, Kelly and Hayes before it turns back towards Jefferson.
it is mack but its not far from GPP in the (right before) Morningside/East English Village area. thats the area everyone always talking about the "stark difference"

I should've been more specific when I said Chalmers. I meant from Chalmers to Alter is the area

Old 06-19-2011, 09:03 PM

655 posts, read 2,168,989 times
Quote:

Rec'ing posts should be overhauled in here.

Old 06-20-2011, 07:41 PM

28 posts, read 154,582 times
Come join us =) To understand the different GP cities all you need to do is a little research.

Grosse Pointe Woods is the most modest of the Pointes and a lot of houses resemble what you would see in Royal Oak. Small average 'starter homes' for a couple or a small family (4 kids or less). Their park is located in St. Clair Shores and is called Lakefront Park.

Grosse Pointe Shores is what most people seem to think of as 'Grosse Pointe'. The giant mansions that line the streets a long Jefferson along with the Grosse Pointe Yacht Club. The shores is very small and has modest sized homes behind the large estates on the lake.

Grosse Pointe Farms is where Jefferson Ave. changes into 'Lake Shore Dr.', the beautiful Pier Park is (although all Grosse Pointe have their own private lakefront parks), The Hill on Kercheval is (north of The Village of Grosse Pointe), St. Paul on the lake Catholic Church, Grosse Pointe South High School, and has a very different layout than most of the pointes. Grosse Pointe Farms has several subdivisions and a more, I'd like to say modern street layout. GPF has curved streets, courts, ect. The older pointes such as The City and The Park have more of a grid like system of streets due to the presence of the Ribbon Farms before.

Grosse Pointe City or The City is recognized by its downtown area called The Village of Grosse Pointe. The City along with The Park have most of the oldest homes. The City's main attraction is The Village and a lot of the older homes.

Grosse Pointe Park or The Park is the southern most of the Grosse Pointes and has the oldest homes in the area. A lot of the homes along Windmill pointe, Essex, and Three Mile Drive are extremely old and have a lot of large Estates and Manor like houses that were built during the 1920s for a lot of extremely wealthy Detroit citizens. Grosse Pointe Park has a beautiful Farmers market, a nice shopping area along Kercheval, and the traditional Grid like layout I was talking about that is similar to Grosse Pointe City. You will see a lot of houses next to large mansions on many streets due to the Depression and people not being able to afford to build such a large house or construction stopping.

The Grosse Pointes as a whole community. All of the Grosse Pointes work together to make the area a beautiful place. Each city does not have its own police or fire department but rather a 'Public Safety Department' which condenses EMS, Police, and Fire response personnel into one segment. There any many 'clubs' and 'groups' that operate between all cities. The Neighborhood Club welcomes new residents to the area, hosts a bunch of activities for seniors and children, and always has something going on. There is the Lochmoor Country Club, Grosse Pointe Yacht Club, [SIZE=2]Crescent[/SIZE][SIZE=2][/SIZE]Sail Yacht Club, Detroit Golf Club, Garden Clubs, ect. All of the Grosse Pointes have their own private parks which are free to access by citizens of that city (guest passes can be annoying to obtain for family members and friends) and host a lot of sports and activities for families and your children. There is a church for practically every religion, three award winning major hospitals, nationally recognized schools, and much more. All of the cities pick up your garbage, leaves, and plow the streets clear of snow very promptly.

The Schools are very excellent. You mentioned GPNHS being a little down the hole lately. This is mainly due to the fact that a lot of residents from Harper Woods go to Grosse Pointe North as well. This can be an explanation for the decline, however, North is not as crowded as South. Grosse Pointe South is located in The Farms and is a beautiful structure. South is the more desired High School to go to simply because it is a beautiful school and very well decorated, designed, and sought after.

Do a little research and check out the Grosse Pointe Chamber of Commerce and Grosse Pointe Neighborhood Club websites and gather a little more information. We hope to see you soon =)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Detroit