U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Detroit
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-14-2011, 08:23 PM

29,388 posts, read 53,499,333 times

Advertisements

"Detroit has sort of been in the middle of an unfortunate perfect storm," said Howie Kahn, who wrote the GQ article "Destroying Detroit (in Order to Save It)." "Everything that basically could have gone wrong in Detroit over the last 50-60 years has."

The city was hit by an economic downturn, job loss, white flight and black flight, explained Kahn. Detroit is now a city with more than 70,000 abandoned homes and a population that has dropped from nearly 2 million people in 1950 to 900,000 today.

'Destroying Detroit': City to Demolish 10,000 Homes - ABC News
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-14-2011, 08:36 PM

385 posts, read 693,739 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by John1960 View Post
"Detroit has sort of been in the middle of an unfortunate perfect storm," said Howie Kahn, who wrote the GQ article "Destroying Detroit (in Order to Save It)." "Everything that basically could have gone wrong in Detroit over the last 50-60 years has."

The city was hit by an economic downturn, job loss, white flight and black flight, explained Kahn. Detroit is now a city with more than 70,000 abandoned homes and a population that has dropped from nearly 2 million people in 1950 to 900,000 today.

'Destroying Detroit': City to Demolish 10,000 Homes - ABC News
It makes sense to me, why are we wasting garbageman gas on going to streets with 1 house on it and it prolly doesnt pay city tax cause its a squatters house. we need to save the city from itself. need to restructor our tourist spots, i passed by brush park 30 mins ago to see it packed with cars cause of downtown, either having a ballgame or something else, this is the place people see, they dont want to see 4 burned down homes of what the city used to be, lets get more of those condos up!

Old 06-15-2011, 12:38 PM

10,084 posts, read 18,497,080 times
Wonder what they will rebuild in their place?

It will all look the same in 3-5 years, why bother!

Old 06-15-2011, 01:01 PM

5,918 posts, read 12,430,376 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaryleeII View Post
Wonder what they will rebuild in their place?

It will all look the same in 3-5 years, why bother!
Parks. Empty lots don't have to be ugly. Just mow the grass, lease out some plots as urban gardens/farms, add a few art objects, some walking paths, clean up woody debris, etc. Boom. Looks great, low maintainance, low cost.

In fact one of the reasons why Detroit can be great again, is that it does have some significant green space. After all isn't this what suburbs are? Except they were planned that way? Last time I was there I bought a small book titled "Reimagining Detroit" Its very good, and is written in a very realistic and practical way.

Its like why build on the most floodprone areas of New Orleans, that were impoverished, crime infested, and had really no cultural amenities before Katrina? They people that used to live there all moved somewhere else. Let those areas once again become the domain of snakes and alligators, and let them return back to the wetlands they once were.

Focusing on the areas of the city where the cultural amenities and the architectural marvels of downtown, midtown, mansion neighborhoods are what should be focused on. Not the neighborhoods that were composed of flimsy houses that weren't built to last surrounding the Packard Plant.

Old 06-15-2011, 02:47 PM

5,739 posts, read 6,618,132 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tex?Il? View Post
Parks. Empty lots don't have to be ugly. Just mow the grass, lease out some plots as urban gardens/farms, add a few art objects, some walking paths, clean up woody debris, etc. Boom. Looks great, low maintainance, low cost.
In fact one of the reasons why Detroit can be great again, is that it does have some significant green space. After all isn't this what suburbs are?
Focusing on the areas of the city where the cultural amenities and the architectural marvels of downtown, midtown, mansion neighborhoods are what should be focused on. Not the neighborhoods that were composed of flimsy houses that weren't built to last surrounding the Packard Plant.
Some good points here. I often quote my experiences in Berlin and my impressions of a city rebuilt from rubble in fairly short order.
*Rubble was piled, earthed over and made into parks.
*Local denizens tended to the flowerbeds and did minor upkeep (I assume this was voluntary, but I didn't ask).
*Both Detroit and suburbs were greenspace at one time (the disappearance lamented by some). Berlin itself might be considered "greenspace" after the bombings. Why not redesign the city better than before (more competent planning).
*Detroit might have its Central Park" or "Tiergarten" ala Berlin. Check it out - beautiful, and it adds to the quality of life.
*Europe uses more masonry in its structures rather than wood of the hastily-built dwellings designed to house workers in American factory towns.
*Some will say greenspace doesn't bring in tax dollars. True, but we have it anyway. Use it for farming, parks, open it up to businesses. Re-think zoning practices (which at one time forbade living downtown). Check out European models, such as Germany's (seems like hardship taught them a lesson).

Old 06-15-2011, 07:50 PM
Status: "Let's Get Biden To Quit Immediately, America. Amen." (set 18 days ago)

18,612 posts, read 16,646,269 times
Maybe Detroit needs a Marshall Plan. What we could do with $13 Billion in 1940's money adjusted for inflation...that would be $116 Billion in todays money. We might even have some left over for Rueben's Water Park.

We could name it the Clinton Plan after Hillary Clinton since the Marshal Plan was named after the Secretary of State at the time.

Old 06-15-2011, 08:47 PM

10,084 posts, read 18,497,080 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Retroit View Post
Maybe Detroit needs a Marshall Plan. What we could do with $13 Billion in 1940's money adjusted for inflation...that would be $116 Billion in todays money. We might even have some left over for Rueben's Water Park.

We could name it the Clinton Plan after Hillary Clinton since the Marshal Plan was named after the Secretary of State at the time.

Naaaaaahh.....really you think it could work? Tear down all the blighted areas, pump govt money into fixing it up nice, and.....people will want to live there again? Really........

there's only one way Detroit will ever come back, and that's by getting rid of the crime. I fled Detroit years ago, am even afraid to visit my parents' graves. Now that's saying something! Many cities in this country have problems, crime, blight, etc, but Detroit is the only city that simply died! RIP!

Old 06-15-2011, 09:47 PM

655 posts, read 2,127,279 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaryleeII View Post
Naaaaaahh.....really you think it could work? Tear down all the blighted areas, pump govt money into fixing it up nice, and.....people will want to live there again? Really........

there's only one way Detroit will ever come back, and that's by getting rid of the crime. I fled Detroit years ago, am even afraid to visit my parents' graves. Now that's saying something! Many cities in this country have problems, crime, blight, etc, but Detroit is the only city that simply died! RIP!
It says you are ridiculous is what it says. It's a friggin' graveyard!

Old 06-16-2011, 09:16 AM

30,338 posts, read 75,378,718 times
I just hope they get the right ones. Sometimes Detroit demolishes the wrong homes, takes down a nice house, leaves the ruin sitting there next door or across the street. "Oops someone got the address wrong." (An I left all of my Common sense at home today). Be a shame if they end up demolishing 10,000 occupied homes by mistake.

They will create empty lots full of weeds that are 4 feet high. The city does nto have enough such fields and desperately needs more.

Detroit loves to tear things down. Sometimes they need to be torn down, sometimes it is a foolish mistake, but there is no satisfying their seemingly insatiable desire for destruction.

Old 06-16-2011, 09:50 AM

6,088 posts, read 10,056,103 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldjensens View Post
I just hope they get the right ones. Sometimes Detroit demolishes the wrong homes, takes down a nice house, leaves the ruin sitting there next door or across the street. "Oops someone got the address wrong." (An I left all of my Common sense at home today). Be a shame if they end up demolishing 10,000 occupied homes by mistake.

They will create empty lots full of weeds that are 4 feet high. The city does nto have enough such fields and desperately needs more.

Detroit loves to tear things down. Sometimes they need to be torn down, sometimes it is a foolish mistake, but there is no satisfying their seemingly insatiable desire for destruction.
I agree, its just crazy from a perspective far away. I admit to never having been to Detroit but to me it looks like it has some of the nicest classic housing stock of any city in america- beautiful Craftsman bungalows, Tudors and Colonial Revivals, it is sad to see so many of them rotting away. The in-town areas that still have some decent housing stock should be saved as much as possible. It is such a rich architectural city; that is Detroit's greatest value and it should be celebrated.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Detroit
View detailed profiles of: