Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Detroit
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-03-2011, 11:13 AM

491 posts, read 1,120,951 times

Advertisements

I don't think either of those areas is notably "diverse." Not saying you will feel uncomfortable...just that it's pretty white bread, unless things have changed radically in the last decade.

Schools should be very good in either area...

Really beyond the schools I don't know if Novi and Farmington Hills are markedly different. They are both big, relatively affluent suburbs. Novi has no downtown, Farmington Hills has basically one little street they call the 'downtown.'

If I was choosing between those two districts I would choose primarily based on the house in particular you want to live in and the schools.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-03-2011, 10:50 PM

3,199 posts, read 7,823,988 times
Though it may not be considered diverse it has become better where I don't think you would feel out of place. I grew up in near areas and I have seen a change from years ago with now more of a mixture of people and backgrounds.

Old 09-01-2011, 02:06 PM

3 posts, read 4,066 times
I live in Plymouth and am moving to Novi next month. I've only been in MI for the last year from CA. Don't let these people stray you from a certain area that you want to raise your kids in. The only differences I can see between the two is Novi having more traffic, but in turn, more shopping as well. Farmington Hills looks a little more rural. All I know of the two. Realtors tell me that Novi schools are among the best. Good luck!

BTW, BelleIsleRunner, she asked about differences btw Novi and FH, not Westland or Garden City. How can you compare Westland and Garden City to Novi and FH? Is there another reason why you are recommending her there? Just like people in Detroit trying to keep things a certain way.

Old 09-01-2011, 05:30 PM

8,411 posts, read 7,417,724 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kma2 View Post
I live in Plymouth and am moving to Novi next month. I've only been in MI for the last year from CA. Don't let these people stray you from a certain area that you want to raise your kids in. The only differences I can see between the two is Novi having more traffic, but in turn, more shopping as well. Farmington Hills looks a little more rural. All I know of the two. Realtors tell me that Novi schools are among the best. Good luck!

BTW, BelleIsleRunner, she asked about differences btw Novi and FH, not Westland or Garden City. How can you compare Westland and Garden City to Novi and FH? Is there another reason why you are recommending her there? Just like people in Detroit trying to keep things a certain way.
Thanks! My aunt has lived in Westland her whole life and I lived in Westland for a few years. I am not to thrill with Westland especially the schools. Most of the people I know in Westland are trying to get their kids into Plymouth/Canton schools.

I grew up in Taylor back in the 90's. It was not that diverse back when I was in school. I felt left out and different at times. When I moved to the other side of Taylor where it was more diverse it was better for me.

Old 09-03-2011, 02:44 PM

15 posts, read 47,801 times
We are relocating to MI from NC as well. We choose Northville Twp (Might even by a Novi address, but Northville schools) and are building a house therefore have to go into temp. furnished corporate housing for about 6 months. We choose Riverside Oaks West due to the proximity to my Children's schools as well as the community. Indoor Pool, Racquetball, Really nice fitness center and close to everything. We also rented there for a month in 2006 when we first relocated to MI (had since moved to NC and now going back) and it worked well for us. I noticed you had this community on your list for a potential residence, thought I would give my experience.

Old 09-04-2011, 12:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Megreg View Post
We are relocating to MI from NC as well. We choose Northville Twp (Might even by a Novi address, but Northville schools) and are building a house therefore have to go into temp. furnished corporate housing for about 6 months. We choose Riverside Oaks West due to the proximity to my Children's schools as well as the community. Indoor Pool, Racquetball, Really nice fitness center and close to everything. We also rented there for a month in 2006 when we first relocated to MI (had since moved to NC and now going back) and it worked well for us. I noticed you had this community on your list for a potential residence, thought I would give my experience.
I actually considered that complex but based on the apartmentratings.com it wasn't a good place to live. Maybe you can give me more feedback on Riverside Oaks. I didn't even go look while I was there. The ones I looked at were the best rated in that area on apartmentrating.com. I checked out Citation Club, Highline Club and Foxpointe townhouses. I really didn't care to much for Highline above the other 2 complexes. Highline Club did have the best prices. The townhouses were the biggest and Citation Club has covered carports which would be a big benefit.

Old 09-06-2011, 12:12 PM

30,708 posts, read 79,764,742 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by reconmark View Post
Exactly what trouble are you referring too, or is it that diversity and trouble are one in the same for you??..

Can we have some specifics or are we going to get, well my uncle on my nieces cousin's side said,etc..

Increasing incidents of weapons and drugs at schools (primarily high school). Increasing incidents of bullying. Lack of adequate counseling. General slide in student performance and discipline. Declining quality of incoming students (as far as parent involvement, emphasis on education and self-discipline). Class sizes getting to big. Inadequate out of class supervision due to school size and cutbacks. That sums up most of the complaints that I know of.

This comes from family members and friends who live in WB and have children; and two teachers.

Also their test scores and other statistical garbage have fallen off recently.

You want specifics like Joey smith brought a knife on Tuesday and threatened Billy Johnson with it? Sorry I do not write down each incident that is related to me.

Old 09-06-2011, 03:17 PM

How are the property taxes calculated in the FH and Novi area? Are they extremely high? I plan to buy a house in the next 2 years in the range of 170k-230k. How is the housing market there? Can I get a newer 2500 sq ft house for that range?

Old 09-08-2011, 11:12 AM

3,199 posts, read 7,823,988 times
I am not sure about taxes. That price range for a new home may be hard. You could find a foreclosure probably though or even an older home in one of those areas. Have you looked on realtor.com? I would just to give you some ideas. I am not familiar with the apts you listed. I do feel a car port or garage is important in MI. Between the ice and snow there are many days you will be happy you have it. Many apts do have them. Near Citation Club there are other apts and near Foxpointe too. I am not familiar first hand though these are nice and have carports Hillside Forest. Next to that is Village Green I heard mixed about. Spring Valley is near Foxpointe I think. Down the way but I think it is considered Commerce is Briarcliff they have garages but are more $.
I don't know about schools but like I said before I know a lot of people who attend Bloomfield Hills and Birmingham district how have been happy. Novi and FHs are supposed to be good too.

Old 09-08-2011, 12:05 PM

4,050 posts, read 3,958,313 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldjensens View Post
Increasing incidents of weapons and drugs at schools (primarily high school). Increasing incidents of bullying. Lack of adequate counseling. General slide in student performance and discipline. Declining quality of incoming students (as far as parent involvement, emphasis on education and self-discipline). Class sizes getting to big. Inadequate out of class supervision due to school size and cutbacks. That sums up most of the complaints that I know of.

This comes from family members and friends who live in WB and have children; and two teachers.

Also their test scores and other statistical garbage have fallen off recently.

You want specifics like Joey smith brought a knife on Tuesday and threatened Billy Johnson with it? Sorry I do not write down each incident that is related to me.
Over a paragraph of heresay and not one statistical, school administration, or journalistic article.

Thanks, you have said enough.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Detroit