Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Detroit
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-02-2011, 03:55 PM

2,319 posts, read 4,781,870 times

Advertisements

We are not in a rush to buy a house as we are still the in the process of trying to sell our home in TN, but I have begun trying to research the school districts in Oakland County. My husband will have to commute to Auburn Hills for work so I would like to try to live within 30 minutes of AH. Currently, we are renting an apartment in Rochester Hills, and I believe that I read that it is a good school district. If we "stick" in MI, eventually my husband would like to own another farm, preferably in an all around good district.

My question is: could you tell us which school districts are considered to be "the best" or at least very good? Which districts within a commutable distance of AH are most desirable?

Thank you so much for all information.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-02-2011, 07:01 PM

915 posts, read 1,493,148 times
In general, a lot of people move to Troy, Rochester, Bloomfield Hills or Birmingham for the schools.

Personally, I'd avoid Avondale Schools (this district encompasses part of Troy, Rochester Hills and Auburn Hills) as they are on the State's watch list for the possibility of needing an Emergency Financial Manager in the near future.

Troy and Bloomfield Hills have nationally recognized "schools of excellence". Rochester and Birmingham don't have that type of recognition; however they are among the best in the State.

The city of Troy is trying to figure out how to keep its city's library - which is one of the best in the area.

Bloomfield Hills voters have voted twice against the consolidation of the high schools, but the school board is going through with a plan to do just that. So, there's a huge recall effort going on there.

In B'ham, there was the kid who was arrested for racial intimidation, but other than that, there isn't too much in the news about the school district.

Rochester, like most the districts in the area, is having budget problems.

You'll really need just need to research the districts because each has challenges that they are trying to overcome.

As for owning a farm, this area is just expensive if you want a house w/any significant acreage. I really have no idea where you'd buy a farm in this area. I'm sure others would know more about that than I do. A friend of mine looked around Clarkston/Lake Orion area for something similar, but they weren't looking specifically for a farm. They were just looking for a house that had more than a small plot of grass.

Hope that helps. Have a good 4th.

Old 07-02-2011, 08:21 PM

2,319 posts, read 4,781,870 times
It does help. Thank you very much. We are several years away from our farm hunt. We are trying to sell our small farm now (5+ acres with barn, etc.). It's a niche market and nothing moves quickly so I don't want to have to do this again for a long, long while.

Thanks for all your info about school districts. I just need a jumping off place to start my hunt.

Do you know anything about the Lake Orion school districts or that area?

Happy 4th to you!

Old 07-03-2011, 01:12 AM

3,199 posts, read 7,792,718 times
If I had kids I would want them to go to either Bloomfield Hills or Birmingham school district. I have personal experience plus also know others who have attended these districts. I also think these areas are very nice,upscale,safe family friendly areas to live.

Old 07-05-2011, 03:26 PM

70 posts, read 131,801 times
Your husband works in Auburn Hills? Easy, stay in Rochester Hills. It's a short commute, and the schools in the Rochester Hills district are fantastic.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Detroit