Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Detroit
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-11-2011, 04:05 PM

655 posts, read 2,202,708 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 313Weather View Post
You should follow in your buddy detroitlove's footsteps and leave the forum as well, with all due respect.
With all due respect....I will stay. Feel free to block me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-16-2011, 05:42 PM

348 posts, read 638,452 times
New initiatives, entrepreneurs reviving Motor City (http://www.windsorstar.com/business/initiatives+entrepreneurs+reviving+Motor+City/5110539/story.html - broken link)

Old 07-17-2011, 08:23 AM

1,497 posts, read 3,490,369 times
Companies head back downtown - Fortune Management

Old 07-19-2011, 04:24 PM

1,497 posts, read 3,490,369 times
CBS News: Young energy bringing back Detroit - CBS News Video

Old 07-20-2011, 10:30 AM

348 posts, read 638,452 times
Richard Florida Explains "The Geography of How We Get to Work" | Planetizen

Old 01-17-2012, 07:04 AM

4 posts, read 3,636 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RingWalk View Post
The problem with articles like that though is they really are taken out of context. As I've posted before, for most people who have never been to Detroit, a simple drive down Jefferson or Woodward would be shocking. Huge swaths of the city do not even look like it is in America, and not in a good way. They are only now getting the first grocery stores in the entire city. That is mind boggling to think about.

There seems to be a lot of exciting projects going on though, and I know Dan Gilbert is buying up real estate like crazy, so it definitely seems to be moving in a positive direction.

But this is all in the context of that on a scale of 1-10, it's at a 2, maybe.

You also have to understand that people who have lived in the area have been hearing this exact same song and dance for more than 30 years, since the 80s at least.

However Bing and Snyder seem to be on the right page, they are making the city much more business friendly apparently, and I have little doubt that downtown Detroit will look much better in 20 years than it does now.

First grocery store in the city...Moderator cut: please calm down. First Whole foods in the city yes, first national chain yes. 9regional chains exist everywhere). First grocery store not even close.

Last edited by Yac; 01-18-2012 at 01:56 AM..

Old 01-17-2012, 08:51 AM

16,258 posts, read 43,185,236 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SadieMirsade View Post
@For Starters

Your post is truly moving and inspirational.

Just a couple of days ago I was talking to a friend whose family hails from Detroit and who's planning to invest in Detroit as soon as his actual business in Canada takes off.
He also mentioned, that he'd like to make money, that he sees long-term opportunities in Detroit, but along the way, he'd like to MAKE A DIFFERENCE as well.
I just wonder what kind of a difference all those fine young people (flocking to Detroit)....could make in Washington (where it REALLY COUNTS).
Or have they just given up on affecting the system from the top?
To get to the top of the system, you'd need a good ivy league degree, and years and years of experience. Additionally starting out in DC you'd need to pay alot of rent and immediately looking for good work, just so you could struggle to pay your rent.

There's something wonderful to be said where a young person without all the perfect degrees, without alot of prior wealth, can move to a city and go for dreams they'd never be able to afford to try elsewhere.

Old 01-17-2012, 01:38 PM

117 posts, read 189,383 times
You know, it's weird, when I was in Detroit one of my neighborhoods asked why me and my roommate didn't want to go into politics, seeing as we're both very privileged and actively care about social issues. The thought isn't even on the table, we were shocked, though we are both near (in may) to having ivy league degrees (from Columbia, alma mater to President Obama). But it's like the deal with the Occupy movement: top-down approaches make you relish that you're at the top and then you slowly forget the bottom, you slowly become incapable of even knowing it. Partisanship is so all-devouring that each candidate is just about a proxy for each other, but with sharper teeth, and the inertia of the political system here prevents any singular candidate from achievement. So it doesn't seem so appealing to a young person, particularly as so many of my generation have done the very fundamentally American thing that we were told to (work hard, get a degree), and are still graduating with very limited employment opportunities (a quick aside - anyone interested in giving me a job????)

And that's exactly why the people ForStarter wrote about come to Detroit: bottom up change, which unlike the opposite, can actually produce change, even if it might just be local.

Old 01-17-2012, 04:52 PM

179 posts, read 273,717 times
Detroit's been trying a bottom-up approach for decades - it doesn't work. When you get a bunch of poor people together you get... a bunch of poor people. You're either working all the time to make ends meet - in which case your lack of time, money and high level of stress all impede you from being able to be active in your community, or you are unemployed, which adversely effects the community. There's nothing positive that can be done about that situation from within. Detroit refuses any outside help or guidance and then blames everyone else for its own problems.

Old 01-17-2012, 07:25 PM

3,671 posts, read 5,886,018 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaytheory View Post
First grocery store in the city...Moderator cut: please calm down. First Whole foods in the city yes, first national chain yes. 9regional chains exist everywhere). First grocery store not even close.
THANK YOU
Someone has CLEARLY not spent too much time in the city and read too many news articles.

Last edited by Yac; 01-18-2012 at 01:56 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Detroit