Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Detroit
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-18-2011, 05:49 PM

632 posts, read 1,071,003 times

Advertisements

Hey all...

Well, its that time. I'm leaving the Detroit area, and heading out west (San DIego) for a better job opportunity.

I'm 22 years old, grew up in the area for the past 12 years, graduated from Oakland, and have lived and worked in Royal Oak for the past two years. I've seen most of it all; been to the cultural sites, museums...eaten at all the well known places, both small and large...been up north through the UP and back.

What I'm asking you is...

If you were in my shoes...two weeks left in the D and aside from packing, what should I do?!?! I'm trying to assemble a bucket list of sorts. So in short...what would you do with your last remaining time here? I won't be back until December or so, so lets make it good!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-18-2011, 05:58 PM

21,122 posts, read 19,707,707 times
Look for a job locally?

Old 07-18-2011, 07:36 PM

530 posts, read 1,551,321 times
"Bucket List", eh.

So many options...

Turn a trick on Cass.

Old 07-18-2011, 07:37 PM

1,996 posts, read 3,160,711 times
Have you been to the Motown Museum?

Have you been to the Arab American Museum?

Have you been to the Museum of African-American History?

Have you been to Eastern Market on Saturday Morning?

Have you cruised around Belle Isle? or walked the Riverwalk?

Have you driven/walked/biked through the magnificent neighborhoods of Palmer Woods, Sherwood Forest, the University District, Boston-Edison, Indian Village, and West Village? Or driven down Lakeshore Drive in the Grosse Pointes?

Have you walked around the quaint downtowns of Plymouth, Wyandotte, etc. Try downtown Hamtramck?

Have you spent time at the larger parks in the Metro Area like Kensington and Stoneybrook?

Have you gone to the Holocaust Museum?

Have you taken any tours of Preservation Wayne - they give guided tours of Downtown, Midtown, Eastern Market, the Cultural Center, and if your interested in Detroit's auto history, a Auto Heritage tour of the first auto factories in Detroit?

Have you gone to acclaimed restaurants around the area, like Union Street, Slows BBQ, Cuisine, etc.

Have you gone to see a play or performance at the Fisher Theatre, Fox Theatre?

Old 07-18-2011, 08:15 PM

632 posts, read 1,071,003 times
Retroit - Yes; looked for and found jobs locally following my recent fallout with my employer. Just nothing that piqued my interest as much as what is happening out west with regards to my career in terms of advancement.

Fmax - I already did the 6 mile stretch between Woodward and Cass...had my fill

usroute - Thanks for the suggestions. I've done many of these things over the past few years, with the exception of the preservation tours. Most of my trips were solo or with friends who have grown up around here. I might have to check one out. Thank you!

Old 07-18-2011, 11:40 PM

18 posts, read 39,581 times
Have you been to downtown Detroit? :-P

Old 07-20-2011, 12:19 AM

3,199 posts, read 7,826,851 times
I am from MI and lived in CA for awhile. I hope the new job is good and the move. It is very different in CA from MI and also a lot more expensive. Great weather though in CA.
Anyhow when I moved I missed the small things like favorite restaurants in MI
Some other ideas
Going to the lake or boating
Any shopping or stores they may not have in CA
People you want to see

Old 07-20-2011, 05:53 AM

1,452 posts, read 2,992,422 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dtrtrggr13 View Post
Hey all...

Well, its that time. I'm leaving the Detroit area, and heading out west (San DIego) for a better job opportunity.

If you were in my shoes...two weeks left in the D and aside from packing, what should I do?!?!
Save every penny. San Diego is an outrageously expensive area to live, probably more than double the cost of living in Detroit. Hopefully your salary doubled too.

That being said, I absolutely love the SD area and go there 4 times a year for business. If you like craft beer, it is the capital of the US IMO.

I would catch a Tigers game, watching the Padres at PetCo park just doesn't compare. Pretty much any sports other than the Chargers for that matter.

Old 07-20-2011, 06:05 AM

1,138 posts, read 3,346,453 times
You know we left Detroit nearly 3 years ago for Florida.
We chose a as a finale a trip to Niagara Falls, Canadian, which for me is a sentimental place. It's about 4 hours away and we are sooo glad we went!
Other places we revisiteasily on trips "home" and find they are just a part of life there. Like Comerica Park for a Tiger game. It's easy to fit those places in any trip back. Maybe your sentimental place is Mackinac Island or Traverse Bay Mission Point, Sleeping Bear Dunes?

Have fun and Good Luck with your move!

Old 07-20-2011, 06:10 AM

1,996 posts, read 3,160,711 times
Go to Windsor Ontario. Unlike the border town next to San Diego, which is a mess, Windsor is pretty cool with a nice Downtown and Riverfront. and since you're in Canada already, go to Pelee Point. It's majestic.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Detroit