Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Detroit
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-21-2011, 03:05 AM

2 posts, read 4,073 times

Advertisements

I'm a coming student in UDM. I will be here in Aug 28. cos it is the first time for me to come to the State, I do not know anyone here, and I haven't find a apartment yet. Unforturnately the deadline of aplication for school dorm has pasted.
what should I do now?? help
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-21-2011, 08:00 AM

1,497 posts, read 3,490,640 times
Here's what you need to do, call UDM's student affairs office and tell them your situation. Ask them if they have any recommendations for off-campus housing. They might be able to point you towards some rentals in the neighborhood that are relatively safe and cater to students. I expect that you will have a car. If not, finding something across the street is going to be the best you can do.

I must inform you that the area of Detroit around UDM's McNichols campus is not a good area. Other than the homes in the "University District" neighborhood, the area is rough and I doubt you will want to live there. On top of that, there are not many rentals around campus. If you are going to live off-campus, you need look at areas outside of UDM's general vicinity.

If you have a car, there are 4 areas you should look at it:

1. Ferndale- this is a suburb directly north of Detroit. It is a safe area and many students who go to UDM and Wayne State live there and drive in daily. You will have about a 12 minute commute [MAP]. Most of the rentals in Fernadale are houses for rent as opposed to apartment buildings. You may need to find a roommate. The closer you get to 9 Mile Road and Woodward Ave, the nicer Ferndale is.

Here are some rental listings: detroit metro apts/housing for rent classifieds "Ferndale" - craigslist

2. Midtown (Detroit)- this is a district of Detroit located south of UDM's campus and has many housing options for students that attend UDM and Wayne State. The commute to UDM will be about 13 minutes [MAP]. You can find apartments to rent in houses or in a variety of buildings. Midtown is generally safe and has a lot of activities for young people.

Here are some housing options in Midtown: UCCA | University Cultural Center Association

3. Hamtramck- this is a small city located within Detroit proper, southeast of UDM's campus, and is about a 14 minute commute [MAP]. Hamtramck is a typical urban area with a diverse mix of ethnicities, but is becoming a more popular place for students to live. Houses in Hamtramck usually have "flats" for rent on either the upper or lower floors. Note that some parts of Hamtramck are less desirable than others, so be selective.

Here are some rentals: detroit metro apts/housing for rent classifieds "Hamtramck" - craigslist

4. Royal Oak- this is a northern suburb of Detroit. Many students and young people live there and it is known for its neat downtown area. The trip to UDM's campus will be about a 17 minute commute [MAP]. Royal Oak has both houses for rent and some apartment buildings, but rents can be on the expensive side if you are near downtown Royal Oak.

Here are some rentals: detroit metro apts/housing for rent classifieds "Royal Oak" - craigslist

This should get you started. Once you live in Metro Detroit for a while, you can spend some time doing your own research and find something that works better for you. I simply gave you the most typical student areas. Other places you could look at if you have the time would include downtown Detroit, and some of the other neighborhoods around it, like Woodbridge, where many students also live.

If you have questions, please post them. Good luck, and welcome to Detroit.

Old 07-21-2011, 07:33 PM

2 posts, read 4,073 times
Thank you very mouch,ForStarters. I'll contact the school first.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Detroit