Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Detroit
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Do u think this is a good idea?
YES 12 75.00%
NO 3 18.75%
MAYBE 1 6.25%
Voters: 16. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-22-2011, 03:12 PM

3,671 posts, read 5,881,517 times

Advertisements

Im new here and idk if anyone did a thread about this already but for the people that don't know. Somerset Collection will bring mini versions of several of its stores — including Neiman Marcus, Michael Kors, Saks Fifth Avenue, Coach, Lego, the Gap and a HA¤agen-Dazs ice cream cart — to downtown Detroit later this month. Moderator cut: link removed, please read the tos
Good Idea?

Last edited by Yac; 07-25-2011 at 05:27 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-22-2011, 03:30 PM

21,097 posts, read 19,686,516 times
Quote:
"CityLoft will be open the last Thursday, Friday and Saturday of every month..."
I don't get it. They're only going to be opened 3 days a month?

Old 07-22-2011, 03:58 PM

1,497 posts, read 3,489,120 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Retroit View Post
I don't get it. They're only going to be opened 3 days a month?
It seems to me like Somerset is "testing the water" before potentially opening up something on a much larger scale. Consider the possible dominant position Somerset would be in if it were the first in line to control Detroit's future retail market. It could be huge for them. It's also good PR with so many folks pulling for a Detroit comeback these days.

I doubt Somerset plans for CityLoft to be wildly profitable considering the limited schedule. I think it's more a way to gauge interest, measure demand, and scope out the neighborhood and its residents. I will definitely be stopping in to see what they're about. Any company that offers to satisfy an unmet need in the city has my business.

Old 07-22-2011, 05:00 PM

491 posts, read 1,120,610 times
I think For Starters makes a very valid point. At the risk of offending people, it hasn't been hipsters that have had much impact on Detroit. What did have an impact on downtown was building Ford Field and Comerica Park smack dab in the middle of Grand Circus Park next to each other. That was smart. Those two things were game changers. That whole area began to resemble a more normal downtown whereas in the 90s there was almost NOTHING to do down there.

My point is I think it was criminal to move the Pistons out of Detroit and if shopping centers like Somerst hadn't moved, you would still have a better downtown.

That being said, the city of Detroit was so incompetent, corrupt and outright awful for so long, you can't blame people for not building Somerset in Detroit.

But here's hoping they build a Somerset branch in Detroit.

Old 07-22-2011, 06:23 PM

5,973 posts, read 13,107,913 times
I think this is a great idea. Like it or not, especially in this generation, cities ar more and more judged by their core. And downtown Detroit needs some nice retail. You can tell people not familiar with metro Detroit about all the great shopping at Somerset, Birmingham, and the rest of Oakland County all one wants, but their whole image of SE MIchigan is based on downtown Detroit.

Old 07-22-2011, 07:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tex?Il? View Post
I think this is a great idea. Like it or not, especially in this generation, cities ar more and more judged by their core. And downtown Detroit needs some nice retail. You can tell people not familiar with metro Detroit about all the great shopping at Somerset, Birmingham, and the rest of Oakland County all one wants, but their whole image of SE MIchigan is based on downtown Detroit.
THAT is a 100% true statement. Chicago for example: Alot of people visiting Chicago have only been downtown. Especially the ones that don't know anyone there. And I bet the average New York tourist is spending the majority of their time in Manhattan. But I personally believe cities and landmarks number of visitors is sort of determined by how interesting it LOOKS on TV or whatever. South Beach, Hollywood, Broadway, 5th Ave, ect.

Old 07-24-2011, 10:58 AM

491 posts, read 1,120,610 times
It's not just perception it's cultivating a tax base, for one.

Old 07-24-2011, 12:30 PM

21,088 posts, read 29,197,267 times
And who will be the customer base? Is there really that kind of money in the area to support a Somerset Collection?

Maybe some of my friends over in the Cass and and Willis neighborhood will have their limo stop for lunch? IF not lunch, may be for employment?

Old 07-24-2011, 01:57 PM

4,511 posts, read 5,085,262 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarvinStrong313 View Post
THAT is a 100% true statement. Chicago for example: Alot of people visiting Chicago have only been downtown. Especially the ones that don't know anyone there. And I bet the average New York tourist is spending the majority of their time in Manhattan. But I personally believe cities and landmarks number of visitors is sort of determined by how interesting it LOOKS on TV or whatever. South Beach, Hollywood, Broadway, 5th Ave, ect.
Not just Manhattan, but a very small square of Manhattan: from about lower Central Park (north), Broadway or 7th Ave. (west), 5th Ave (east) and 34th Street (south); at least according to NYC travel experts I've read, as being where 80+% of NYC visitors confine themselves to. Of course, being New York this includes Times Square (the single greatest, non-stop human carnival on earth), the Theatre District, Lincoln Center, shopping (Macy's @ 34th), Empire State Building, including Radio City & the Rockettes, and of course, New York's finest restaurants ... and more... That's enough to fill anyone's agenda; heck, Times Sq, alone, would be enough...

Retail, esp along lower Woodward would be a major jump start for downtown Detroit, and if Somerset could get in front of this...

I just wish Cleveland's fancy suburban stores, ... ie Beachwood Place, would try something like that for Downtown Cleveland here....

Old 07-24-2011, 09:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheProf View Post
Not just Manhattan, but a very small square of Manhattan: from about lower Central Park (north), Broadway or 7th Ave. (west), 5th Ave (east) and 34th Street (south); at least according to NYC travel experts I've read, as being where 80+% of NYC visitors confine themselves to. Of course, being New York this includes Times Square (the single greatest, non-stop human carnival on earth), the Theatre District, Lincoln Center, shopping (Macy's @ 34th), Empire State Building, including Radio City & the Rockettes, and of course, New York's finest restaurants ... and more... That's enough to fill anyone's agenda; heck, Times Sq, alone, would be enough...

Retail, esp along lower Woodward would be a major jump start for downtown Detroit, and if Somerset could get in front of this...

I just wish Cleveland's fancy suburban stores, ... ie Beachwood Place, would try something like that for Downtown Cleveland here....
Wow. I thought those things were spread out all over Manhattan. And yes it could be, I mean downtown Detroit has things that many cities does not and they should really take advantage of that. It could be one of the greatest places to be in a perfect world. And someone from Cleveland will probably try something like that eventually, if it works for Detroit, probably sooner.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Detroit