U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Detroit
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-26-2011, 10:27 AM

5,958 posts, read 5,973,986 times

Advertisements

Looking for an inexpensive but safe community east of Ann Arbor and west of Detroit. Plan to buy a small, inexpensive one-family house (one to two bedroom is okay) in a low-cost area. Resident is self-employed, can drive, will have a car. School district not an issue. A location within easy reach of Ann Arbor and the airport in Detroit would be ideal, looking for a low priced home and low taxes/overall cost of living.

Any advice on which areas to explore?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-26-2011, 10:51 AM

30,253 posts, read 74,372,956 times
Look at a map. Start at Dearborn draw a line as far south as you want to go, but stay outside Detroit, draw lines up to Ann Arbor. These are the places that fit your parameters. Some ar nicer, some less nice. Less nice is less expensive. Cities in this area to avoid are easier to idntify than nice cities. Most are nice.

Not Nice:

Inkster.
Parts of Wayne.
Parts of Lincoln Park
Ecorse
River Rouge.
Parts of Taylor (Only a couple of places. Taylor is not a "nice" place, it is kind of blue collar and hicky, but there is nothing wrong with it. Just more low end sprawl).
Much of Romulus. (Get away from the Airport and it is not bad.)

Other places have a few bad areas tucked in here and there. Most are fine. Nothing special, nothing awful. Canton might be too expensive for you. Plymouth possibly, but you should be able to find something that you can afford there. Every other place is pertty much fine.

Old 07-26-2011, 11:52 AM

5,739 posts, read 6,555,322 times
I am looking at Belleville and Canton/Westland. They are further away from Detroit than I like. Belleville is more rural and possibly cheaper, more scenic. If you don't need the big city, this looks good. Romulus is very close to the airport and probably noisy (I can't confirm this).
Bing Maps - driving directions, routes, and traffic

Old 07-26-2011, 11:55 AM

491 posts, read 1,065,938 times
There's parts of Plymouth that are still affordable.

Old 07-26-2011, 03:27 PM

5,958 posts, read 5,973,986 times
okay, now I'm getting oriented. We're looking for a place east of Ann Arbor, within striking distance of the airport, which I see is west of Detroit. So, we're looking for an inexpensive, small house, east of Ann Arbor, schools don't matter, safe area, low taxes. Does that narrow it at all?

Old 07-26-2011, 04:08 PM

3,750 posts, read 3,855,170 times
There are only 2 things between Ann Arbor and DTW: Belleville and Ypsi.

Belleville could be nice, I've lived in Ypsi, but I wouldn't buy in either.
NE of Ann Arbor there are some nice little communities between there and Plymouth. My family has had a place in Dixboro for 150 years.
Otherwise, there's Milan and other tiny communities south of 94 between 23 and 275

Old 07-26-2011, 04:23 PM

491 posts, read 1,065,938 times
Depending on what you want this house for you may want to broaden your "search terms." For instance, from Plymouth, which is a really nice place to live, you can be at the airport in 25 minutes and in downtown Ann Arbor in 20 minutes. Even, if it's more your speed, Canton Twp., might be worth looking into.

Salem/Superior Twp. used to be pretty nice but very, very rural, not still if that's still the case.

I can't say I've ever been to Belville.

Ypsi....no.

Anyway, depending on your situation and what you're looking for, I'm not sure I would limit myself to cities on the direct axis of A2-Detroit Metro for the sake of shaving 10 minutes off my commute, even if it is every day.

Even from downtown A2 you could be at the airport in half an hour. It's probably not very affordable and I wouldn't necessarily want to live in Ann Arbor, but I'd rather live, personally, in Ann Arbor than Ypsi and eat the extra 10 minutes to the airprot.

Old 07-27-2011, 04:30 PM

30,253 posts, read 74,372,956 times
Plymouth downtown is really neat if you can find an affordable place. I am not ertain why soeone said that it is not between Ann Arbor and the airport. It is a bti to the north, but still between Ann Arbor and DTW. So are Livonia, Westland, Canton, Garden City. Any of these places are in a reasonable commute of Ann Arbor and the Airport. The OP did nto say that they are unwilling to go a little north or south, just that they want a place between Ann Arbor and DTW.

Livonia may be one of your better options.

Romulus has some nice areas away from the airport. There are pretty rural areas.

Also you can add Willow and Huron Township. No real towns there, but they are nice places and Willow metropark is right there.

Old 07-28-2011, 09:29 AM

5,739 posts, read 6,555,322 times
^Yeah, the metroparks extend all the way to Lake Erie. I also like the Edward Hines area. Canton is pretty sterile, but as a place to "hang one's hat" it has a good location.
I'm thinking the OP wants info which is really current and specific - like from someone who lives in these places right now. Good luck with that...
There is real estate and other info on the web, but posting links would violate the TOS.
Belleville looks pretty "sleepy" but it's close to 94.

Old 08-04-2011, 10:40 AM

5 posts, read 17,996 times
Belleville, Canton, and Romulus. Stay out of Taylor and Inkster. They are terrible. Belleville would probably be a median with very easy highway access. My parents recently moved from Romulus to Belleville. Lots of houses in foreclosure in Romulus.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Detroit