U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Detroit
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 08-10-2011, 03:39 PM
 
1,111 posts, read 1,126,732 times
Reputation: 1320

Advertisements

7045 west vernor, Detroit MI, 48209 (Springwells)

Following a Cragslist add, there is a sweet deal for a car. I asked if they could meet me 1/2 way (I'm in Toledo) they said no ins. and plates for the car anymore so they can't drive it. I'm not too familiar with Detroit but I'm getting the impression this might not be the best part of town? They don't want to communicate via phone calls but text, and I don't want to show up with a fist full of cash ... I might be paranoid, but I'm looking for a little insight please?

Last edited by Jabronie; 08-10-2011 at 03:53 PM..
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 08-10-2011, 04:01 PM
 
491 posts, read 1,074,363 times
Reputation: 254
That's in the Mexican part of town. I don't think it's relatively speaking all that bad but I would say if you show up there with a fistful of cash, and this person knows you are bringing cash, you are a moron. It is still Detroit.

I would insist he meets you at a busy location somewhere in Lincoln Park or Melvindale and tell him you are bringing a check.

But that's just me.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-10-2011, 04:17 PM
 
1,111 posts, read 1,126,732 times
Reputation: 1320
Quote:
Originally Posted by RingWalk View Post
That's in the Mexican part of town. I don't think it's relatively speaking all that bad but I would say if you show up there with a fistful of cash, and this person knows you are bringing cash, you are a moron. It is still Detroit.

I would insist he meets you at a busy location somewhere in Lincoln Park or Melvindale and tell him you are bringing a check.

But that's just me.
Pretty much my thoughts. I noticed upon some googling only about 50% speak english, and something like 45% 'other' which I assumed was Spanish speaking. Seeing the texts have included, "my man" and lots of "bros", and insist on not talking in person - I'm going to be inclined to pass. Just a few things with this have given me an off feeling so to speak. It's a GD great deal, which worries me more, and he is under a theoretical time crunch; So I'm sure a check (or Money Order / Certified check) won't cut it for them.

It's when I recommended we meet half way or 3/4 for me, he said no ins. no plates etc. Saying stuff like "its a deal bro, guarantee a deal" about me coming to him. Ugh, hate to pass on a sweet deal, but it almost is too sweet which is telling. Some parts of me are saying it's the whiteboy suburbia in me, getting the best of me; But like you said it's Detroit. I would like to live to see the weekend with all my $$ in my own pocket

Thanks for the heads up.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-10-2011, 04:36 PM
 
4,855 posts, read 8,801,278 times
Reputation: 7718
Yeah, the thought of driving to Detroit to meet a stranger who will only communicate with you by text message and wants to sell you a car that is sooo cheap that it is almost certainly stolen doesn't sound like a really great idea, if you ask me. In all likelihood, you would end up minus your cash AND minus the car, and possibly even minus the car that you drove up there to get it in. Please don't do it. No deal, no matter how sweet, is worth taking a chance like that.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-10-2011, 04:41 PM
 
1,111 posts, read 1,126,732 times
Reputation: 1320
Quote:
Originally Posted by canudigit View Post
Yeah, the thought of driving to Detroit to meet a stranger who will only communicate with you by text message and wants to sell you a car that is sooo cheap that it is almost certainly stolen doesn't sound like a really great idea, if you ask me. In all likelihood, you would end up minus your cash AND minus the car, and possibly even minus the car that you drove up there to get it in. Please don't do it. No deal, no matter how sweet, is worth taking a chance like that.
I told them I'm not comfortable with it. They said name a PD and we can meet there. They are willing to drive the vehicle to the Lincoln Park PD on 1427 Cleophus Parkway. I just called him and we talked, sounds like a youngish kid; So I can put a voice to the words. The deal is sweet, but not so sweet that it would be unheard of.

Would it be poor form to call the PD and ask them to be there?

Well I called, they where not happy, and I basically had to force an answer...But we can go do the transaction inside the PD; Given the car will be there, I'm feeling better; Should this location and actually talking to the kid, help shell up concerns?

Last edited by Jabronie; 08-10-2011 at 04:56 PM..
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-10-2011, 04:45 PM
 
Location: west mich
5,739 posts, read 6,607,694 times
Reputation: 2129
I lived there. It's a fairly tight Mexican catholic district - lower class blue collar. Crime was not a great problem - but your deal sounds fishy. Don't know if the cops would be interested, but wouldn't hurt to call - like what could they do besides tell you they're not interested (or insult you)...
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-10-2011, 05:20 PM
 
1,111 posts, read 1,126,732 times
Reputation: 1320
Quote:
Originally Posted by detwahDJ View Post
I lived there. It's a fairly tight Mexican catholic district - lower class blue collar. Crime was not a great problem - but your deal sounds fishy. Don't know if the cops would be interested, but wouldn't hurt to call - like what could they do besides tell you they're not interested (or insult you)...
His English sounded a little rough, shortish answers, he sounded younger, my guess is it's an easier way to cross the language barrier. He did not refuse to chat, just strongly preferred texts; Answered right away when I called a bit ago.

Yeah, it took me to ask "So you're saying no?" to the PD to get him to say it's ok. He wanted to say no, with out saying no. Figure we meeting there, police knows we are coming, he knows the police know, it was his idea to select a PD; I'm feeling better.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-10-2011, 05:32 PM
 
Location: Downtown Detroit
1,497 posts, read 3,354,218 times
Reputation: 927
I think you'll be fine at a PD, but bring someone with you. IIRC, there were a few incidents where people got robbed during test drives in the Detroit area. The scam is to get you in the car and out in a remote area, then rob you and leave you stranded. I don't trust anyone online anymore including sites like Craigslist. Some dude got killed a few months back buying a TV from someone he found online. Also, if the car is ridiculously cheap, keep in mind that it might be stolen. Things are sketchy out there these days.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-10-2011, 05:47 PM
 
1,111 posts, read 1,126,732 times
Reputation: 1320
Quote:
Originally Posted by ForStarters View Post
I think you'll be fine at a PD, but bring someone with you. IIRC, there were a few incidents where people got robbed during test drives in the Detroit area. The scam is to get you in the car and out in a remote area, then rob you and leave you stranded. I don't trust anyone online anymore including sites like Craigslist. Some dude got killed a few months back buying a TV from someone he found online. Also, if the car is ridiculously cheap, keep in mind that it might be stolen. Things are sketchy out there these days.
Aye, I have 2 friends going up with me. I'm not sure how I'll handle the test drive. TBH I might just zip it in the parking lot and go from there, it's a newish (lower mileage) car, and is CLEAN; I've also owned this exact same model year and trim car for 3 years in the past, so I know how it should sound / feel. Like I said, it's a good deal, but not insane; Just a little below blue book, but usually not a car that gets listed just a tad below.

Thanks all for the help
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-10-2011, 06:11 PM
 
530 posts, read 1,499,933 times
Reputation: 215
Jb,

For good or for bad, please keep us posted.... I'm root'in for ya.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Detroit

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2023, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top