Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Detroit
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-21-2011, 02:34 PM

90 posts, read 200,193 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DisneyGirlCindy View Post
We may be relocating from Chicago to Detroit Area. We use to live in the Detroit Area but had to move for a job and now may be moving back. My husband would be working at the Ren-Cen and would like to keep the commute to 30-40 minutes. We have a small child and so would like a city with a great school district.

Any help is appreciated!
Cindy
Grosse Pointe! Excellent schools (public & private), and a very short, easy commute for your husband. It will take about 15 minutes to get to the Ren Cen if you drive down Jefferson. No need to even get on 94.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-25-2011, 08:15 AM

16 posts, read 53,838 times
I guess it depends on schools, public services, social life, culture, accessibly and convenience. Are you in the suburbs of Chicago or in the City? Do you still want that "city" feeling?

Old 09-26-2011, 03:30 PM

3,120 posts, read 8,064,729 times
Farmington Hills/Novi might also be an option using the 696 to M10 route.

Old 09-27-2011, 08:54 PM

615 posts, read 1,391,747 times
I would say GPP would be the best choice for someone with children working at the RenCen.

These days, GPP and GP "City" are considered a safer bet than GPF or GPW (where schools are shared with Harper Woods).

I would also prefer GPP over places like Rochester Hills or Macomb Twp. because of the child-unfriendly HOAs in the newer burbs.

I think 50 minutes might be a "bad luck day" from Plymouth to downtown Detroit. On an average day, M14/Jeffries should whisk you down there in about 35, still something of a commute, and, oddly, it will take nearly an hour to get back home, especially if it rains.

Don't put too much weight on the quality of the public schools - they're being gutted throughout the state, and you'll likely be sending your kids to a private school, no matter where you live.

Two more things to know.
It is really a buyer's market throughout this area.
Metro Detroit does not have nearly the degree of suburban blight that Chicagoland has. Almost any burb is livable.

Old 10-11-2011, 08:25 AM

7,032 posts, read 14,483,506 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DisneyGirlCindy View Post
Anybody????

There were two cities I was thinking of, Troy and Rochester Hills. Do you think the commute would be ok? And family-friendly?
Most of Troy is liveable except maybe portions of the southeast corner..

There's no nightlife there but you shouldn't be too far from Royal Oak..

Old 10-11-2011, 05:43 PM

615 posts, read 1,391,747 times
The southeast corner of Troy not livable? Perhaps the very corner because it has been commercial since it was first developed and has no residences, but I do not know of any part of troy that is a bad neighborhood (FWIW, Troy is one of the least residential suburbs Detroit has, it has a lot of shopping, light manufacturing, and offices both single floor and high-rise).

Old 10-12-2011, 07:34 AM

30,708 posts, read 79,810,729 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 313 TUxedo View Post
I would say GPP would be the best choice for someone with children working at the RenCen.

These days, GPP and GP "City" are considered a safer bet than GPF or GPW (where schools are shared with Harper Woods).

I would also prefer GPP over places like Rochester Hills or Macomb Twp. because of the child-unfriendly HOAs in the newer burbs.

I think 50 minutes might be a "bad luck day" from Plymouth to downtown Detroit. On an average day, M14/Jeffries should whisk you down there in about 35, still something of a commute, and, oddly, it will take nearly an hour to get back home, especially if it rains.

Don't put too much weight on the quality of the public schools - they're being gutted throughout the state, and you'll likely be sending your kids to a private school, no matter where you live.

Two more things to know.
It is really a buyer's market throughout this area.
Metro Detroit does not have nearly the degree of suburban blight that Chicagoland has. Almost any burb is livable.
My brother lives in Plymouth. Worked downtown for five years. He said it took him 45-50 minutes. However, he does drive the speed limit. His car is not safe at 85 MPH.

Old 10-12-2011, 07:01 PM

2,674 posts, read 4,393,819 times
Royal Oak or Birmingham. Grosse Pointe is a whole different vibe.

Old 11-07-2011, 04:59 AM

11 posts, read 28,018 times
I agree that Troy and Rochester are great choices. Birmingham is upscale and prestigious, but the house pricing is through the roof (so-to-speak). The houses and lots are generally very small also. Location, location, location for Birmingham. Good luck finding an area. These forums are great for input. I wish you well.

Old 11-13-2011, 12:29 AM

2 posts, read 3,026 times
Basically anywhere but the city of detroit would be a decent place to live. every other cities surrounding detoit has its nice areas and bad areas. To the north of detroit, there are many nice affluent cities, esspecilly the northeast, with cities such as groise pointe of st clare shores. Also bloomfield hills or auburn hills have houses that are just mantions. Be aware that if your in order to get to downtown detoit you must drive through some of the worst areas of america. If you are not lookinf to spend millions of dollars for a house, then cities west of detroit, such as dearborn, canton or westland have some more reasonable houses that aren't cheap, but still are located in nice communities. If you are looing for a cheap house and looking to save some money before buying a nice house, then buying a house in detroit's south side could be benificial. Aside from cities such as Ecorse or river rouge, any of these cities would be a relatively decent community to settle in for a bit. One thing about living in this part of the city is that you are no more than 20 minutes away from downtown detroit. If you are looking for some farm land, then about 30 minutes south of detroit is small towns such as newport and rockwood. Many parts of these towns border lake erie. So any of these homes are also very nice.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Detroit