Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Detroit
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-17-2007, 12:40 AM

2 posts, read 7,533 times

Advertisements

Lately I have been working hard to try and improve the city, in my own grassroots type of way. Anyway, I realize that Detroit has a long way to go before its even begins to reach its potential. I often visit Downtown because it keeps me feeling optimistic about change in the city.

The downtown area is the lone bright spot in the city. It is the only area where people are buying home/apartments and businesses are starting to spring up. While we still cant compare to Chicago, Boston, or New York, Downtown Detroit is starting to come into its own. I also realize that the neighborhoods are is desperate need of attention.

Anybody who cares about the city needs to help do something about the current situation. Im tired of hearing people complain, these same people are the ones that aren't doing anything to try and help improve our situation. Whether you live within the city limits or you live in the suburbs, realize that Detroit makes and breaks all of Michigan. Try to help in anyway you can, even if its small.

Below is a link to a youtube video I created in an attempt to show people from around the area (that havent been Downtown in a while) that the city is expieriencing some change for the better. Please watch and enjoy.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=gmtkCcORKhc
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-17-2007, 11:36 AM

7,357 posts, read 11,755,918 times
Simple things anyone can do: Go downtown and spend money in a Detroit-owned and -operated business, like King's Bookstore on Lafayette or El Xocolo on Bagley. Route your money away from big chain stores in the suburbs and send it towards people who make Detroit a better place to live.

If you live anywhere in the Metro area, VOTE, for crying out loud. You'll never get what you want if you don't ask for it.

Go to those meet-and-greet things and twist the candidates' arms until you know what they're really going to do for you. "What do you mean, Mr. Snodgrass, by bringing more business into the city? How will you do it? When will you start? What's the biggest obstacle to your plan working? Have you done anything like this before? Did it work? How many jobs will this actually create? For who? What plan do you have to cobble up some jobs for all the unemployed assembly-plant workers in [name the city]? How can you get the city's police force up to speed so they can actually solve some crimes?" Like that. Candidates have to respond to voters' concerns if they want any actual votes. They have to follow through on their promises to avoid recall or loss of the next election.

Volunteer for a neighborhood watch association, or talk with your neighbors about starting one. This is important all the time, not just on Devils' Night.

Start a sweat-equity home-improvement club if you live in a hideous neighborhood. Talk to the nearest housing office to find out how to get grant money to improve the living conditions of everyone who works and participates in improving the homes of others. It's like a potluck version of Habitat for Humanity.

Start a small business of your own; small business grants are also pretty easy to get. Try to get big enough to hire a couple people.

If you're a professional, consider going nonprofit so you can get your services to people who really need it. Trust me, you'll still get paid and it's gonna improve your karma a LOT.

Old 08-23-2007, 02:47 PM

106 posts, read 535,763 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeopto85 View Post
Lately I have been working hard to try and improve the city, in my own grassroots type of way. Anyway, I realize that Detroit has a long way to go before its even begins to reach its potential. I often visit Downtown because it keeps me feeling optimistic about change in the city.

The downtown area is the lone bright spot in the city. It is the only area where people are buying home/apartments and businesses are starting to spring up. While we still cant compare to Chicago, Boston, or New York, Downtown Detroit is starting to come into its own. I also realize that the neighborhoods are is desperate need of attention.

Anybody who cares about the city needs to help do something about the current situation. Im tired of hearing people complain, these same people are the ones that aren't doing anything to try and help improve our situation. Whether you live within the city limits or you live in the suburbs, realize that Detroit makes and breaks all of Michigan. Try to help in anyway you can, even if its small.

Below is a link to a youtube video I created in an attempt to show people from around the area (that havent been Downtown in a while) that the city is expieriencing some change for the better. Please watch and enjoy.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=gmtkCcORKhc
How can I be optimistic about Detroit when that corrupt loser Kilpatrick is still mayor?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Detroit