Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Detroit
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-12-2011, 07:39 PM

159 posts, read 556,321 times

Advertisements

I used to live in downtown Detroit, but never been to the place. I'm kind of embarrassed to admit that I do DVR the show.

Like most Tru TV shows, it's obvious a lot of the stuff is somewhat set up in advance (any particularly crazy person/object is sent to deal with one of the owners), and like most 'reality' TV shows, some of the participants are acting out because of the cameras.

Most people dealing with a pawn shop are probably not society's finest, and I hope everyone who watches the show understands that they're seeing a lot of trashy people who are at their worst, because they're desperate for $$.

But having said that, I still think the show puts Detroit in a bad light because so many of the customers come across as obese, stupid and vulgar people who have no problem using profanity and yelling out threats of violence, many times in front of their own children.

There's a huge dichotomy between 'Hardcore Pawn' & 'Pawn Wars.' Part of it simply has to do with the type of audience Tru TV seems to favor (white trash, IMHO) but a lot of it has to do with the massive cultural difference between Las Vegas & Detroit.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-15-2011, 05:23 PM

902 posts, read 1,918,824 times
I believe its one of tru TV's highest rated shows .

I wonder if Darren will be on the sales staff or there to bust people's chops

Darren McCarty Joins 'Hardcore Pawn' Store

DETROIT — Former Detroit Red Wings enforcer Darren McCarty has joined the team at American Jewelry and Loan, the store featured on the TV show "Hardcore Pawn."
McCarty will work in the family-owned business to learn the pawn store trade.
“Darren came in with a buddy to check out the store awhile back, and I could see his eyes light up as we talked about the business. When he said he was interested in learning more, we took him up on it,” said Seth Gold, manager of American Jewelry and Loan, in a news release Thursday.
Gold said the family is excited to make McCarty the latest addition to their staff.
"I’m learning from the Stevie Yzermans’ of the pawn business," McCarty said in the news release. "I guess you could call my first few weeks training camp! What better opportunity to start something fresh and to help the people of Detroit, too?”
The store is at 20450 Greenfield Rd., Detroit, MI 48235.

Old 09-16-2011, 08:39 PM

22,565 posts, read 24,357,783 times
Extreme Ghetto Pawn..........a cause for concern..........I luv that show.

But......like many SO CALLED reality shows........this one is very far from reality, just like Operation Repo.....or worse yet......Southern Fried Stings..........LOL.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Detroit