Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Detroit
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-14-2011, 05:03 PM

16 posts, read 53,838 times

Advertisements

Today, my Parent's and I attended the march "Against Wall St." from the City County Building to Grand Circus Park, to say the least it was interesting. Walking down Woodward Ave was like being at a sporting event being filled with: adrenaline, hope, shouts, chants in hope a winning victory.

However, there were a lot of causes to march for, there is so much going at once with the angst in Detroit with the economic, housing, political and job crisis, etc. - there were several causes to protest against. My question is (while standing in the midst of unification) what do you think will be the result of this protest today?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-14-2011, 11:08 PM

21,137 posts, read 19,714,475 times
The result will be a bunch of scruffy looking and unbathed people making Grand Circus park look like a refugee camp.

I don't see the point. The reason that rich people are able to make a lot of money is because the "poor" people are willing to give them the money. How many of these people have the latest smart phone, wide-screen plasma TVs with cable, drink over-prices coffee, buy the latest fashion in clothing, etc.?

Old 10-15-2011, 04:44 AM

1,900 posts, read 5,906,480 times
Nothing much will happen. Most (though there are exceptions) of these protesters are not looking at the true sources of their misery, such as the Fed, Helicopter Ben, and lousy fiscal policies, NAFTA, and also the industrialist scum who shipped off all the jobs to red China, such as Apple, and the corporations who make a billion a year and pay no tax...I'm talking about you, General Electric. (I know it's bad form to speak ill of the dead, but I'm sure Steve Jobs didn't make some of his billions by providing a living wage...hope the protesters don't all have iPods and iPhones in their pockets.)

The protesters need to realize they're being played by George Soros (who has been reported by numerous sources as having a hand in this) and the billionaire left, because they talk more about how they want such pie in the sky things as single-payer insurance, which they will not see in their lifetime, rather than meaningful things, from which they are being steered away. I like the movement, although I disagree with most of the official platform, but I don't see anything good coming from it.

Old 10-15-2011, 05:51 AM

1,497 posts, read 3,490,917 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by us66 View Post
Nothing much will happen. Most (though there are exceptions) of these protesters are not looking at the true sources of their misery, such as the Fed, Helicopter Ben, and lousy fiscal policies, NAFTA, and also the industrialist scum who shipped off all the jobs to red China, such as Apple, and the corporations who make a billion a year and pay no tax...I'm talking about you, General Electric. (I know it's bad form to speak ill of the dead, but I'm sure Steve Jobs didn't make some of his billions by providing a living wage...hope the protesters don't all have iPods and iPhones in their pockets.)

The protesters need to realize they're being played by George Soros (who has been reported by numerous sources as having a hand in this) and the billionaire left, because they talk more about how they want such pie in the sky things as single-payer insurance, which they will not see in their lifetime, rather than meaningful things, from which they are being steered away. I like the movement, although I disagree with most of the official platform, but I don't see anything good coming from it.
I disagree with some of platform. OTOH, some of it is hard to disagree with. That said, I get the feeling that some of these protesters have animosity towards me- a working class stiff. Just for the record, I am in the 99%, too.

If all of their misdirected rage does put pressure on the higher-ups to stem corruption and limited moneyed-interests, more power to them. I was out and about downtown last night and it was pretty crazy with all of the protesters. I talked to a few people on the street who said they are camping out in Grand Circus Park.

Old 10-15-2011, 11:37 AM

348 posts, read 638,551 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Retroit View Post
The result will be a bunch of scruffy looking and unbathed people making Grand Circus park look like a refugee camp.

I don't see the point. The reason that rich people are able to make a lot of money is because the "poor" people are willing to give them the money. How many of these people have the latest smart phone, wide-screen plasma TVs with cable, drink over-prices coffee, buy the latest fashion in clothing, etc.?
Everything you said makes absolute sense,
but the big BEEF all around the world
is BIG BUSINESS's black mailing of sovereign governments:

"If you don't give me that bail out, it's gonna get worse".

Then they want bailouts, (CORPORATE WELFARE or what?),
then they preach "Free Markets" to the common folk,
but have no interest in abiding by their own sermons.

Between Oil lobbies, Wall Street lobbies, Israel-Firsters' AIPAC and Insurance-Medical lobbies,
what power and influence can your common man have? (to change the system),
if REAL candidates for change are vetted out before the election game even begins.

This is really not just about wealth, and accumulation of wealth,
it's about a RIGGED, corrupt system,
a "supposed", Free-Market that's starting to resemble a Globalized Financial Plutocracy.

btw. German corporate management's compensation vs workers' salaries are much lower than in the US, yet they've MANAGED this downturn much better than the American CEOs.

What does that say about the co-relation between innovation, business talent and compensation?

Or should I make it short and sweet?
Steve Jobs, and Henry Ford would have still been DRIVEN to create and innovate, even if they hadn't known the enormity of the eventual fruits of their labour.

Instead of facilitating and rewarding creation and innovation, compensating REAL growers of change and progress, we're being held hostage by game players, Wall Street MBAs and CEOs.

Like France's right wing president Sarkozy said recently:
"Laissez Faire, C'est Fini".
(Free Market economics is DONE-dead).

The biggest economic successes of the last 2 decades were nations that never really practiced Free Market capitalism (as we in North America define the term).

Every one of today's economic success stories (Brazil, Turkey, Singapore, Malaysia, China, Korea, Taiwan) has a history of long-term economic planning, coordinated and directed from the TOP (governments acting as agents of common good).

Even Germany's development in the 19th century resembled this model. And even today, German capitalism is beholden to the interests of the nation as a whole and common good.

Germany is investing "big time" in the EU, bailing out all the losers, and it's obvious that their model of "managed capitalism" will be implemented throughout Europe.

As far as they're concerned, the $$$$ interests of the nation as a whole, come BEFORE my right to do as I please.

They are paying dearly for their neighbours' follies and irresponsibilities, and they EXPECT accountability. That's always been the "German way".

In Japan, when you f-up,
you commit suicide.

In the US, you give yourself an undeserved bonus (from bailout money you got from the American people).
.....and then call it Free Market Capitalism....

Last edited by SadieMirsade; 10-15-2011 at 11:53 AM..

Old 10-15-2011, 12:17 PM

7,237 posts, read 12,742,631 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SadieMirsade View Post
Everything you said makes absolute sense,
but the big BEEF all around the world
is BIG BUSINESS's black mailing of sovereign governments:

"If you don't give me that bail out, it's gonna get worse".

Then they want bailouts, (CORPORATE WELFARE or what?),
then they preach "Free Markets" to the common folk,
but have no interest in abiding by their own sermons.

Between Oil lobbies, Wall Street lobbies, Israel-Firsters' AIPAC and Insurance-Medical lobbies,
what power and influence can your common man have? (to change the system),
if REAL candidates for change are vetted out before the election game even begins.

This is really not just about wealth, and accumulation of wealth,
it's about a RIGGED, corrupt system,
a "supposed", Free-Market that's starting to resemble a Globalized Financial Plutocracy.

btw. German corporate management's compensation vs workers' salaries are much lower than in the US, yet they've MANAGED this downturn much better than the American CEOs.

What does that say about the co-relation between innovation, business talent and compensation?

Or should I make it short and sweet?
Steve Jobs, and Henry Ford would have still been DRIVEN to create and innovate, even if they hadn't known the enormity of the eventual fruits of their labour.

Instead of facilitating and rewarding creation and innovation, compensating REAL growers of change and progress, we're being held hostage by game players, Wall Street MBAs and CEOs.

Like France's right wing president Sarkozy said recently:
"Laissez Faire, C'est Fini".
(Free Market economics is DONE-dead).

The biggest economic successes of the last 2 decades were nations that never really practiced Free Market capitalism (as we in North America define the term).

Every one of today's economic success stories (Brazil, Turkey, Singapore, Malaysia, China, Korea, Taiwan) has a history of long-term economic planning, coordinated and directed from the TOP (governments acting as agents of common good).

Even Germany's development in the 19th century resembled this model. And even today, German capitalism is beholden to the interests of the nation as a whole and common good.

Germany is investing "big time" in the EU, bailing out all the losers, and it's obvious that their model of "managed capitalism" will be implemented throughout Europe.

As far as they're concerned, the $$$$ interests of the nation as a whole, come BEFORE my right to do as I please.

They are paying dearly for their neighbours' follies and irresponsibilities, and they EXPECT accountability. That's always been the "German way".

In Japan, when you f-up,
you commit suicide.

In the US, you give yourself an undeserved bonus (from bailout money you got from the American people).
.....and then call it Free Market Capitalism....
In a twisted, crazy way, you're 100% correct.

The protesters' anger are directed at the right people.

Remeber it's corporate donations (which should be illegal) that led to policies such as NAFTA. Capitalism quite frankly leads to Fascism. If we had laws in effect that made it illegal for politicians to accept huge donations or corporate donations in the first place, most of the problems we have now would be non-existant.

That's why I don't understand the logic of those who always want to fiscally blame big government for their woes. Yet they're perfectly fine when Big Government interferes in the social lives of people (who they should marry, what they should smoke, how they choose to feed their kids, what they should do with their bodies, etc.)

Old 10-15-2011, 06:33 PM

I am very much a free-thinking, independent kind of individual, who doesn't fit in well with bureaucracies, corporate or government.

That's why I really love the idea of "Free Enterprise".
I always liked the idea of doing my own thing, running my own business. It's in my blood.
I always wanted to be my own boss.

But that expression, "Free Enterprise", has become a euphemism for
I don't Moderator cut: care

Or "too bad for you, you lazy, sore loser".....like Mr. Herman Cain implied....a couple of days ago, in his rude judgement of events on Wall Street.

The system is corrupt, rotten and the "game" is rigged, and he (like most politicians) refuses to address the major reasons for the demonstrators' complaints.

Last edited by Yac; 10-17-2011 at 02:37 AM..

Old 10-16-2011, 01:50 AM

5,739 posts, read 6,934,715 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SadieMirsade View Post
I am very much a free-thinking...
Or "too bad for you, you lazy, sore loser".....like Mr. Herman Cain implied....a couple of days ago, in his rude judgement of events on Wall Street.
The system is corrupt, rotten and the "game" is rigged, and he (like most politicians) refuses to address the major reasons for the demonstrators' complaints.
Such statements may not be judgments at all - could be just kissing up to possible wealthy benefactors. He lays out an opinion of the lower classes (not rich? - then lazy or unmotivated) which sounds good to plutocratic ears. May not even be sincere, but he sounded like it...

Old 10-16-2011, 07:17 AM

21,088 posts, read 29,223,196 times
Seems we have finally identified the source of the troubles...

Last edited by zthatzmanz28; 10-15-2017 at 09:54 AM..

Old 10-16-2011, 11:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by detwahDJ View Post
Such statements may not be judgments at all - could be just kissing up to possible wealthy benefactors. He lays out an opinion of the lower classes (not rich? - then lazy or unmotivated) which sounds good to plutocratic ears. May not even be sincere, but he sounded like it...
I don't Moderator cut: care who Cain was sucking up to.

He is running for presidency of USA,
not Wall Street.

His primary audience should not be his "benefactors".
His primary audience should be America's electorate.

And THAT is exactly why people are in the streets.

Millions of people just lost their jobs, another bunch of millions are underemployed, and he is calling them lazy asses and sore losers.

Even if I want to make and sell something on my own,
just to keep busy,
where am I gonna sell it,
if you can buy the same stuff at Walmart for a dollar,
made in China, of course.

Last edited by Yac; 10-17-2011 at 02:36 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Detroit
View detailed profiles of: