Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Detroit
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-03-2011, 06:56 AM

2,674 posts, read 4,392,947 times

Advertisements

Going to a prep school in GPW the 90's, I remember the drive down lakeshore drive, the real homes with 200 ft lawns looking out onto the lake, usually with an American flag flying. My thoughts ran to, "this really is the American dream". It was a different time and a different feel, but I will agree with many of you in that at it's peak- nothing came close to a drive down lakeshore, especially on a rare sunny, cloudless day.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-04-2011, 05:08 PM

12,823 posts, read 24,397,340 times
The only thing that would prevent a downhill slide would be foreign money moving in due to the prestige factor. Barring that, the outcome will not be good.

Old 11-04-2011, 05:50 PM

Location: Detroit's eastside, downtown Detroit in near future!
2,053 posts, read 4,393,656 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ForStarters View Post
I'm not disagreeing entirely, but I see nothing special about any of Oakland County's suburbs, even the elite ones. Aside from large homes built in post-1970s construction, they are the definition of disposable suburbs with no sense of place or history. I don't think anyone has a keen attachment to "Bloomfield" or "Birmingham."

The Pointes are unique. Most of the housing stock is unrivaled and cannot be easily replicated in terms of quality, character, or history. Even the street layout gives the Pointes a sense of grandeur and importance. Nowhere in West Bloomfield does one walk away with the same impression as that when one first drives into the Pointes.

My impression is that while OC may have some elite neighborhoods today, pound for pound, they simply cannot match the grandeur of the Pointes. As an example, consider how much Detroit has deteriorated, yet neighborhoods like Indian Village still remain solid because of their unique characteristics and housing stocks. It would be unimaginable that the Pointes would ever go the way of Detroit, but even if they did, the housing stock alone would prevent them from deteriorating. There will always be something desirable about the Pointes because quality features were built into those communities from the start. The Pointes are not throw away communities like their counterparts in OC.
Honestly, I work in "Oakland County" and it VERY overhyped smh

Old 11-04-2011, 06:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by detroitlove View Post
Honestly, I work in "Oakland County" and it VERY overhyped smh
Really?

Compared to where?

Old 11-04-2011, 07:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreyDay View Post
Really?

Compared to where?
Oakland County is very overhyped. and who said I was comparing it to another city? The way people in Metro Detroit talk about "oakland county" you'd think every city within OC was like GP when its not.

Old 11-05-2011, 01:43 AM

Quote:
Oakland County is very overhyped. and who said I was comparing it to another city? The way people in Metro Detroit talk about "oakland county" you'd think every city within OC was like GP when its not.
Read between the lines. Huntington Woods...uh no.

Beverly Hills, Birmingham and Bloomfield. That's it.

It's like when you say New York, no one's thinking Staten Island?

Old 11-05-2011, 12:21 PM

Quote:
Read between the lines. Huntington Woods...uh no.

Beverly Hills, Birmingham and Bloomfield. That's it.

It's like when you say New York, no one's thinking Staten Island?
dude what are you talking about

Old 11-05-2011, 12:54 PM

Quote:
dude what are you talking about
When I think of Oakland County, I don't really include cities like Southfield in it.

You comparison of GP and OC is invalid. A City (or cities) vs. a county.

Now compare Wayne to Oakland and that's a whole different story.

That's what I'm talking about Willis.

Old 11-05-2011, 01:25 PM

Quote:
When I think of Oakland County, I don't really include cities like Southfield in it.

You comparison of GP and OC is invalid. A City (or cities) vs. a county.

Now compare Wayne to Oakland and that's a whole different story.

That's what I'm talking about Willis.
obviously you didn't understand my post. Last I checked btw Southfield is in OC so why not include it? I didn't compare a whole county to GP. I said people in Metrot Detroit act as if every single city in OC is like GP. Which you all do. Like I said before, OC is very overhyped and yes I mean Birmingham, Beverly Hills etc are included

Old 11-05-2011, 02:07 PM

Quote:
obviously you didn't understand my post. Last I checked btw Southfield is in OC so why not include it? I didn't compare a whole county to GP. I said people in Metrot Detroit act as if every single city in OC is like GP. Which you all do. Like I said before, OC is very overhyped and yes I mean Birmingham, Beverly Hills etc are included
Overhyped in general or overhyped compared to GP?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Detroit