Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Detroit
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-09-2011, 06:35 PM

1,900 posts, read 5,903,387 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by alcapone View Post
The time frame would be 1962-1965 (that we hung around it). Across Gratiot was an E.J. Korvettes Department store.
Waay before my time. In '65 I was -13. I knew Korvette's was there from other people (and the Korvette Apartments a block away, probably the worst apartment complex in Roseville now) but I do remember the one in Madison Heights at 12/John R, later K Mart.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-10-2011, 01:24 PM

27 posts, read 112,678 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by us66 View Post
Waay before my time. In '65 I was -13. I knew Korvette's was there from other people (and the Korvette Apartments a block away, probably the worst apartment complex in Roseville now) but I do remember the one in Madison Heights at 12/John R, later K Mart.
Quite correct about that Apt. building . It has been long gone bad. The last time I was around it, there was a fence surrounding the buildings on 12 mile. There is now a Walmart in the shopping center. So many nice areas gone.

Old 11-10-2011, 01:46 PM

27 posts, read 112,678 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SCBaker View Post
I hope y'all don't mind if I hijack this thread for just a moment but I would like to make a comment to alcapone.

Alcapone, you have a fantastic memory. I always enjoyed reading your posts and sharing memories of our old neighborhood on the "Found my old house today.....". Too bad it turned into a racial confortation and turned real nasty.

Why don't you start a thread titled something like "memories of our old neighborhoods"? People could share their memories, ask questions, provide facts and possibly post old photos. Maybe, with that title it wouldn't turn nasty.

By the way, I lived near 12 mile & Gratiot when I was newly married in 1965. I remember the dept. store but it's name escaped me. So, thanks for mentioning Korvette's.
Hello S.C.
Thank you. I thought that the "found my old house" thread was one of the best I have participated in. Many many good memories were brought back from the the majority of the group that posted there. Yes, to bad it got confrontational. Some people tend to ignore the truth and want to re-write history to suit them selves. Seems like the same good bunch post a lot on these threads. My apology for getting off the orignal thread content here.

Last edited by alcapone; 11-10-2011 at 01:48 PM.. Reason: left out a word

Old 11-12-2011, 02:21 PM

518 posts, read 868,570 times
anybody remember Dunkenburger hamburger restaurant on 8 mile near Eastland shop center.i used to love them

Old 02-13-2012, 09:15 PM

1 posts, read 8,164 times
Wow, So many memories here.I remember when their was a farm house on the spot where EJ Korvettes was built.12 and Gratiot..........Carnivals were held their every summer with great rides.Us kids would build tree house's in the huge field,and the lady that lived there had a LOT of cats.Names I remember are Witkowski,Wytovitch,McClary,Morian,Wearings,Ruttan s,Komoroski,man were talking the 50s and 60s here.We all went to Pierce Elementary,Burton Jr High then Roseville on Martin Road.I loved that Top Hat on the corner too.Great jute box.

Old 12-21-2012, 01:38 PM

1 posts, read 7,932 times
There was a Top Hat at 8 mile & Ryan in the mid 60's. They cost 12 cents. I used to go there when I ditched class from Pershing High school which is located at 7 mile & Ryan.

Old 01-07-2013, 10:39 AM

518 posts, read 868,570 times
Default wrong at 8 mile gratiot

Quote:
Originally Posted by 313Weather View Post
Two former Top Hot locations that come to mind was the one at McClellan (or Van Dyke?) and Gratiot and 8 Mile and Gratiot, where ironically the White Castle sits now.

white castle is on the warren corner and top hat was at opposite Detroit corner of 8 and gratiot

Old 04-22-2013, 04:59 AM

2 posts, read 18,610 times
Default Top hat collage

there was a "top hat" on the corner of 12 mile & gratiot in the early 1960's - you are right about the one on 8 mile & gratiot next to white castle too! would get a bag full after shopping at eastland on 8 mile & harper - see attached photo collage - cadman
Attached Thumbnails
Top Hat Hamburgers.-tophat12milegratiot-copy.jpg  

Old 04-22-2013, 09:27 PM

475 posts, read 900,184 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cadman1957 View Post
there was a "top hat" on the corner of 12 mile & gratiot in the early 1960's - you are right about the one on 8 mile & gratiot next to white castle too! would get a bag full after shopping at eastland on 8 mile & harper - see attached photo collage - cadman
Great pics! The one on the right reminds me of my dad's favorite hamburger place. It looked just like that Top Hat but all it said was Hamburgers just as pictured there. I 'm pretty sure it was (and may still be) on Michigan av in Dearborn. Not to far from Greenfield Village and squeezed in next to a car dealership. After Top Hat left he said that was his fav because they used fresh (of at least thawed) beef that they would flatten out on the grill .

Old 04-25-2013, 11:05 AM

130 posts, read 240,708 times
Tellway...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Detroit