Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Detroit
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-05-2011, 10:17 PM

7,237 posts, read 12,685,101 times

Advertisements

Inside the old Federal's building.

http://detroit.cbslocal.com/2011/01/03/long-vacant-detroit-store-finds-new-tenant/

This is great news, especially when there are retail establishments opening in the neighborhoods for a change. This would also be their first westside locations. Maybe we could get a downtown location next. It certainly beats another Family Dollar, Beauty Supply or Liquor Store

This is what I found interesting though...

[/quote]WWJ’s Florence Walton spoke with University of Detroit Mercy marketing analyst Ben Bernanke who said it’s good news anytime a retail outlet opens in the city.[/quote]

That's a very familiar name, is it not?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-06-2011, 09:49 AM

3,671 posts, read 5,840,373 times
Bout time someone did something with that building. Great news for that neighborhood. Hopefully they can continue to open up things in neighborhoods. I wonder how long it was vacant?
But it should work, I don't see why it wouldn't they have a store on East Warren across from Parkside. I could give them some advice for the westside... sell polo, true religion, meks, snapbacks, and Cartier's and I guarantee they will have people lining up down Grand River all the way back to Hubbell lol. But I wonder when there going to open up?

Old 11-06-2011, 10:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarvinStrong313 View Post
Bout time someone did something with that building. Great news for that neighborhood. Hopefully they can continue to open up things in neighborhoods. I wonder how long it was vacant?
But it should work, I don't see why it wouldn't they have a store on East Warren across from Parkside. I could give them some advice for the westside... sell polo, true religion, meks, snapbacks, and Cartier's and I guarantee they will have people lining up down Grand River all the way back to Hubbell lol. But I wonder when there going to open up?
It's likely going to be be a minute before they open this store up.

Remember their other locations, unlike this one, we're operating as retail establishment (Toys R' Us, Shopper World, etc.) not even a year before they purchased and renovated them. This location at Grand River/Greenfield has been vacant for over ten years, and I hear there's quite the mess inside of it.

Old 11-06-2011, 10:49 AM

1,900 posts, read 5,871,199 times
Is Forman Mills that big of a deal? I end up in the Bel-Air Center one every now and then and everything in there just looks cheap. Some of the slowest checkout lines I've ever seen, too.

Old 11-06-2011, 12:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by us66 View Post
Is Forman Mills that big of a deal? I end up in the Bel-Air Center one every now and then and everything in there just looks cheap. Some of the slowest checkout lines I've ever seen, too.
It's a national retail store that's actually wants to invest in Detroit, WITHOUT taxpayer dollars unlike Whole Foods, Kroger and Meijer.

Instead of asking whether or not it's that a big deal, lets appreciate their presence. If them being in Detroit means 4 less commercial structures vacant somewhere else besides downtown then I'm a happy camper. This store is probably also helping to dress thousands of people who otherwise wouldn't be able to wear nice clothes.

Old 11-06-2011, 02:50 PM

Location: Detroit's eastside, downtown Detroit in near future!
2,053 posts, read 4,371,304 times
Quote:
I absolutely hate forman mills!!!! lol do they even sale that stuff, well I know polo (I believe, I don't shop there)

Old 11-06-2011, 03:59 PM

3,671 posts, read 5,840,373 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by detroitlove View Post
I absolutely hate forman mills!!!! lol do they even sale that stuff, well I know polo (I believe, I don't shop there)
lol idek. I usually go to GLC, Somerset, Twelve Oaks, or Fairlane if I don't feel like going that far. I haven't been to Forman Mills in almost a year lol. As long as they not still sellin Fubu and Sean John im cool lol.

Old 11-06-2011, 06:34 PM

1,900 posts, read 5,871,199 times
Quote:
lol idek. I usually go to GLC, Somerset, Twelve Oaks, or Fairlane if I don't feel like going that far. I haven't been to Forman Mills in almost a year lol. As long as they not still sellin Fubu and Sean John im cool lol.
It's more like imitation Fubu and imitation Sean John. It's not my style, but they do have some good prices. Their blue jeans in particular are hideous. Last time I was there, they had Triple Fat Goose jackets.

Old 11-06-2011, 06:52 PM

The stuff Forman Mills sells is real. The only thing is the products are factory defects. However, the defects are so minor that the average person wouldn't even notice them unless they're really very picky and obsessed with what other people wear (which then they have personal issues). They're essentially a wholesaler, sort of like National Wholesale Liquidators which were also briefly in Detroit.

Bottom line, you can't beat the fact that you can get 3 polo shirts for $10 or two brands of designer jeans for $25, a very minor, hardly noticable defect notwithstanding. Even then, it's still better than the crap you find at Wal-Mart, Kmart, Meijer or Target. I mean really, they're clothes on your back that you're just going to end up giving away or trashing sooner or later anyway. It's not a big deal.

I've personally have had several people compliment me on the clothes I purchased from there. So yeah, if I can look good while only spending $100 to $150 tops on an entire wardrobe then i'm a happy camper as well. On the flip side, you go to the real designer stores and you'll be lucky to purchase one set of clothes for $100, or you can go to Wal-Mart and buy a wardrobe that will be ruined by the washing machine, shrunken in the dryer or burned by the iron within the week.

Old 04-04-2015, 09:44 AM

112 posts, read 498,125 times
Federals still looks like a dump. Nothing has gone on there for years.
Foreman Mills has relocated to other areas.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Detroit
View detailed profiles of: