Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Detroit
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-27-2007, 09:20 AM

11 posts, read 75,578 times

Advertisements

I plan to buy a house in Detroit, not much to spend, but still looking for a reasonable area to raise kids and places to definitely avoid regardless of how cheap the prices are.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-08-2007, 06:22 PM

362 posts, read 1,502,366 times
First of all, why do you want to buy IN Detroit?

The only reasonable areas to buy in, that I would call "safe" are Indian Village and the Boston-Edison district, and those houses don't come "cheap". Even if you could afford one of those, you would not want to send your children to Detroit Public Schools. Not even the MAYOR sends his kids to DPS.

Old 09-08-2007, 08:27 PM

999 posts, read 4,526,781 times
There's no such place in the City of Detroit. An inexpensive house in a reasonable neighborhood to raise kids? Nope.

Old 09-08-2007, 09:59 PM

79 posts, read 370,017 times
Don't move to Detroit. It's not what I'd call a "family-friendly" city. Crack friendly maybe. Gang friendly maybe. Weed-house friendly maybe.

Old 09-09-2007, 12:53 PM

60 posts, read 273,965 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wfmelamin View Post
I plan to buy a house in Detroit, not much to spend, but still looking for a reasonable area to raise kids and places to definitely avoid regardless of how cheap the prices are.
Have you thought about Hamtramck? It's in Detroit, but maintains a separate government, including fire and police. There are children everywhere. It is possible to find $60,000 single-family dwellings, and 2-units for around $100,000. There are also several commercial properties for sale with attached residential.

The Detroit neighborhood just East of Conant and North of Caniff isn't bad if you have your heart set on Detroit proper.

Old 09-13-2007, 06:42 PM

2 posts, read 13,424 times
You've got to be kidding me. Why wouldn't someone buy in Detroit? There are many beautiful and safe neighborhoods within the Detroit proper, that's affordable. Solid homes that were built when construction companies knew how to build quality homes. It surprises me that people have such bad opinions of the City of Detroit. yes, it has problems but please tell me what major city doesn't?

Old 09-13-2007, 07:49 PM

999 posts, read 4,526,781 times
Quote:
You've got to be kidding me. Why wouldn't someone buy in Detroit? There are many beautiful and safe neighborhoods within the Detroit proper, that's affordable.
I notice you haven't mentioned the location of any of these beautiful, affordable and safe neighborhoods in the City of Detroit for the Original Poster's benefit.......................

Old 10-13-2007, 07:29 PM

41 posts, read 183,501 times
I will give you some places to raise a family you can try Corktown. Its one of the oldest neighborhoods in the city. There are beautiful single family homes with children. Also the area is near the old tiger stadium and down the street they have one of the best BBQ restuarants in the city and thats Slows. I have a website you can check out corktowndetroit.com, woodbridgedevelopment.org,and detroitmidtown.org. Welcome to our City.

Old 10-21-2007, 11:45 AM

4,180 posts, read 14,591,613 times
Raising kids in Detroit? private school

Old 10-21-2007, 06:08 PM

7 posts, read 41,350 times
Berrymist has the only realistic post on this topic. Sheesh. There a still good neighborhooods in Detroit where you can raise your children without moving into a historical District. It just has it's issues like any other inner city neighborhood. Don't bother and stand out to anyone and they won't bother you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Detroit