Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Detroit
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-24-2011, 02:53 PM

1,996 posts, read 3,161,220 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by zthatzmanz28 View Post
Just wondering if you are thinking about visiting or moving? We loved living in Detroit (rented so taxes were not an issue) except having to go out at night and find a decent resturant or entertainment (besides the high priced venues like The Fox, Hockey Town, Comerica, etc.) that was open and affordable. In the evenings we generally went to Royal Oak or Ferndale. Shopping after work for groceries was done in Dearborn at the Super K at Ford and Southfield Fwy.
You may have need to go to Royal Oak or Ferndale 12-15 years ago when you lived in Detroit (you are dating yourself with the reference to the LONG-closed Super K-Mart at Ford/Sfld F-way), but the Midtown and Downtown areas have a ton of restaurants, affordable and not affordable, and more opening up monthly.

I'm probably the only Detroit resident who has answered this post, there are very, very few Detroit residents who post on here, maybe 4 or 5.

I live in the 'hood - Greenfield/Grand River. Was once the biggest shopping district on the west side. I don't here gunshots every night. I've heard gunshots 2 twice the 8 months I've lived here.

You really have to be street smart and vigilant and watch your back. The problem in Detroit is that there is a lack of the concept of "other people's property". There are just too many thieves around. Most thieves, however, don't want to confront you, like sticking you up and robbing you on the spot, although I've seen an instance of that recently. Most just want to break in, or steal your stuff when you're not around. That's why you gotta be very vigilant. I've had the outdoor electric meter stolen from my house! That's how much they steal!

You can see the effects of thievery all other. There are so many vacant and abandoned properties in the neighborhood, it's like the thieves do a daily search of foreclosures in the city, and pounce when they find a vacant property. One day a vacant house looks decent, next day you drive by, and see the front door stolen, the vinyl replacement windows stolen, the awning and porch railing stolen. Inside, the radiators, electric wiring, old cast iron tubs, old doorknobs, hot water tank, etc. have been stolen.

So another house becomes a blight on the community - which is another crazy aspect of the city - the amount of people who own property in Detroit that completely abandon the property. These banks who foreclose on some of these houses are the worst offenders. Some don't pay the property taxes and don't secure the house at all. There was a pretty all-brick house on my block that was foreclosed - the youth in the neighborhood broke in it, and it became there hang-out spot because the electricity was still on in the house. Then, a person who didn't like the youths in our block set the house on fire, and damaged it substantially. I boarded up the house after I got tired of looking at the charred out interior - and a couple days later somebody tore the boards off the doorways. And I later found out that house had been foreclosed on a couple years ago.

So this is just a little tidbit about living in a not-good neighborhood in Detroit. All these suburbanites who post don't have a clue. They cannot share in the pain that is happening in this city, even if the whole area has declined economically. What has happened to the city proper, this ENORMOUS decline and depopulation, is unique to the U.S, maybe even the world.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-25-2011, 07:05 AM

21,088 posts, read 29,223,196 times
It was 2004 (7 years ago) and the selection of afforadble eateries are limited. We did not think a $75 dinner for two at Mario"s was affordable. Even the Union cost $30+ for dinner. Univeristy Market is nice, but limited selection and again over priced on most items.
My friends did not live at Grand River & Greenfield--They lived at Military and Michigan Avenue which anyone who has been around Detroit knows is not the same neighborhood. It was always an adventure to spend the afternoon / evening there.

As for sharing the pain, there has been too many threads describing that, and rest assure my pain runs deep...

Old 11-25-2011, 09:49 AM

348 posts, read 638,551 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by usroute10 View Post

So this is just a little tidbit about living in a not-good neighborhood in Detroit. All these suburbanites who post don't have a clue. They cannot share in the pain that is happening in this city, even if the whole area has declined economically. What has happened to the city proper, this ENORMOUS decline and depopulation, is unique to the U.S, maybe even the world.
Do you suggest any solutions?
How do you avert-prevent this sort of destruction, crime and vandalism?

Even if you GIVE AWAY them houses,
who is going to want to live in such unsafe environments,
with bad policing, bad education, ageing infrastructure?

Old 11-28-2011, 04:57 PM

21,139 posts, read 19,714,475 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SadieMirsade View Post
Do you suggest any solutions?
What good would that do? Do you think anyone will listen?

Quote:
How do you avert-prevent this sort of destruction, crime and vandalism?
You can't. The people who cause the problems have to want to change themselves.

Old 11-28-2011, 06:48 PM

348 posts, read 638,551 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Retroit View Post
What good would that do? Do you think anyone will listen?

You can't. The people who cause the problems have to want to change themselves.
To some degree I can agree with you, but then I also disagree.

Yes, we have our own WILL,
we have our our personal CHARACTERS,
our inherited, as well as acquired TRAITS,

but we're also products of a system, family, and society.

The problem with Detroit is also SYSTEMIC.

We don't just pop up out of nowhere.

Where there is no drugs, there is no addicts.
Where there is no addicts, there is less crime.

Where there is less corruption, there is more trust and efficiency.
And so on, and so on......

Old 11-28-2011, 08:57 PM

21,139 posts, read 19,714,475 times
That's all true, but if it is going to change, it has to start from within. Drugs can be brought anywhere, but some areas have more addicts than others. Addicts can be found everywhere, but crime rates vary. Corruption exists in just about every organization, but trust and efficiency are more prevalent in some.

People make all kinds of excuses for why they can't succeed, but they should be making excuses for why they can't fail.

Old 11-29-2011, 07:56 AM

30,708 posts, read 79,810,729 times
Yes. It is terrifying.

If you are a rabbit.

Old 12-01-2011, 06:11 AM

530 posts, read 1,551,423 times
This guy was robbed at gun point on his front lawn in 'upscale' Rosedale Park.

"Scary"?

Rosedale Park Man Robbed at Gunpoint Outside His Home

Detroiter Says Police Took Too Long to Respond

A Detroiter says he has had enough of the violence. He's packing up and leaving the city. Bad guys with guns ordered him to the ground in his own front yard and it wasn't easy to get the police to respond. He says he had to do some hefty name dropping in order to get them to come.

A few weeks ago Kevin Early was raking leaves near his Rosedale Park property when he noticed some shady characters and within seconds all three of them were up in his face.

"They ordered me to the ground, forced me to the ground, and had guns to my mouth, to my eyes, to the back of my head," he said. "They took my money, my wristwatch, my cell phone, my car keys, my house keys and they attempted to gain access into my home."

Rosedale Park Man Robbed at Gunpoint Outside His Home (http://www.myfoxdetroit.com/dpp/news/local/rosedale-park-man-robbed-at-gunpoint-outside-his-home-20111130-ms - broken link)

Old 12-01-2011, 07:21 AM

30,708 posts, read 79,810,729 times
They are not going to catch anyone with a 25 minute response time. Neighbors need to look out for each other. If you live in a city, you really need to stay aware of what is going on around your house. Hiding inside ahd hoping nothing will happen is not a solution.

Old 12-01-2011, 09:03 AM

21,088 posts, read 29,223,196 times
So why didn't Mr. early run inside his house? Why couldn't the robbers get inside his house? Does he lock the house when outside raking leaves? I never have my keys in my pocket when outside working in the yard...why didn't his neighbors come out and stop this crime?

How much does he want for his house? Think he will take 60% market value?

Well Mr. Early is mistaken if this doesn't happen in the suburbs. Once while visiting my parents in Taylor-tucky I caught a guy in the back yard trying ti get unto their shed and held him at gun point, with him lying face down. Called the police and told them I had a gun on the tresspasser and NO ONE SHOWED..after 30 minutes I told the guy to stand up...it was then that I noticed he had peed his pants..I started laughing so hard I just told him to get out...the thought of him going down the street in wet pants was enough "punishment." 45 minutes later a patrol car drove slowly past the house but didn't stop.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Detroit