Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Detroit
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-16-2012, 12:51 PM

30,707 posts, read 79,524,394 times

Advertisements

RIght around Dearborn there are plenty of decent areas with good rental opportunities:

Southgate, Woodhaven, Riverview, Wyandotte (if you do nto care about schools), Brownstown. All are reasonably nice, just plain suburbia. I like Woodhaven the best of these. However they are on the other side of Dearborn from Farmington.

Allen Park is inexpensive and not awful.

Westland and Garden City on the other side are not bad. Dearborn heights is mostly nice.

Trenton is quite nice but now you are really far from farmington.

Then Northern Livonia is a good option for you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-16-2012, 01:02 PM

179 posts, read 272,534 times
Along Telegraph between Ford and Michigan Avenue is nice and in the 100-200k's price range.

It's 5-10 minutes from Ford HQ, if that's where your boyfriend works, and about 25-30 minutes from the NW Hwy in Farmington Hills.

What crime are you talking about in Dearborn? Dearborn Police seem to do a good job keeping the riff raff out of the neighborhoods.

Old 01-17-2012, 02:16 PM

42 posts, read 99,106 times
He doesn't work at the Ford HQ, but you're thinking of the right part of town. I like where he lives now in general and am not terribly uncomfortable with the crime, but I don't like that you only need to go a few blocks in the wrong direction to end up in a neighborhood where most of the houses have bars over the windows... that's just way outside my comfort zone, and I wouldn't want to be out at night by myself. Maybe it's not unsafe, but it's ugly. I don't mind renting there now but I wouldn't want to buy a house and have kids there. I mean, for comparison's sake, I loved where he lived in Novi and was comfortable there-- I'm looking to be more on that side of the spectrum, though it doesn't need to be QUITE that nice.

Maybe I'm just really misjudging Dearborn, my boyfriend seems to think so, but I am struggling with it. In the last three months there have been two car thefts in his nice, gated neighborhood. Up until quite recently, the worst crimes I ever had to worry about where I live were the local juvenile delinquent stealing my change from the cupholder if I left my car unlocked. This is a reality check for me.

I think he was originally planning on going downriver, I don't think he wants to buy in Dearborn proper either, but that's headed further away from Farmington and I'm not really a fan anyway... so that's how we ended up looking toward Livonia. I'm really only familiar with Trenton when it comes to downriver, which is far, but I guess if I could stay within 20-30 minutes of Farmington I wouldn't be opposed to looking in that direction. Not sure if that's feasible, I'm not as familiar with the geography on that side. And schools are definitely a consideration. No kids yet, but this is the house we'll be having them in.

It sounds like maybe I'm too picky and we don't have a lot of options! We'll just have to look and see what we can find.

Old 01-17-2012, 04:02 PM

If you are going to extend your commute and go downriver you could save save save for a few years and come to Grosse Ile. However your commute owuld be an hour and his 45 minutes. On the other hand you wil not find a nicer, safer, quieter and more pleasnt community with super execellent schools anywhere that he will apparently consider.

Realistically it makes more sense ot stick with towns adjoining or very near dearborn and close to the 94 and Southfield. Otherwise your commute will be intolerable.

How much to you love your job? Maybe you cna change jobs and get closer to Dearborn?

Old 01-18-2012, 10:10 AM

I probably will change jobs eventually in the VERY distant future, whereas he has every intention of retiring where he is, which is definitely something we have considered. I wouldn't be opposed to looking closer to Dearborn, but in this market you go wherever the jobs are, I could also end up even further away-- part of why I like Livonia/Novi is because anywhere I'd consider working is a reasonable commute for me. I'm a little more flexible about my commute than my boyfriend is, however. I'd probably go up to an hour for the perfect housing situation, though I'd really be happiest at 45 minutes and under. Boyfriend lives two minutes from work and whines about anything further, but at least to some degree he's going to have to get over that.

Is the commute from Novi to Dearborn that much worse than Livonia? I'm inclined to think he's being at least as unreasonable about commuting as I am about crime. I'm new to freeway driving and have never been on I-96, which is presumably the route he took, so I don't know how much of his whining is warranted. He is very willing to look in Livonia, that's where most of his coworkers live, so I am having a hard time understanding why he's drawing such a hard line there. Livonia is okay, but Novi is "WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY too far."

Old 01-18-2012, 11:31 AM

Depends on where in Novi and where in Livona. The drive time differnce can range from a bit longer to a lot longer. From ome parts of Livonia it is very quick. From some parts of Novi, it can be a very long drive.

I agree with him. A shorter commute means a better live. I lived a mile from work for 11 years and I worked from home for almost 3 years. It was really wonderful. I swore that I wodl never have a long commute again, but stuff happens and tings do nto always work out as you contemplate. Now I have a commute of almost 40 minutes which is awful to me.

Old 01-18-2012, 12:58 PM

Well, if a shorter commute means a better life even if it means losing your girlfriend because you were too selfish to come to a fair compromise so BOTH people can enjoy a relatively short commute, she's better off single anyway! Thankfully, I don't think that's how he feels about the matter at all. He is just taking time to warm up to the idea of looking outside allen park, he expected to be single when he made this decision and he doesn't adjust to anything quickly. He's said he's very willing to look around and find something that will work for both of us and he doesn't seem nearly as worried about it as I do. I think once we start actually visiting prospective houses, we are both going to have to make some major concessions to come to a compromise. Until we get to that point it's all just talk.

Last edited by TwistedxKiss; 01-18-2012 at 01:07 PM..

Old 01-18-2012, 02:39 PM

Wher you live now, where you live when your have babies and where you live when you have children are three very different issues. IT does not make a lot os sense to chose the house to raise children in and base the location on your current job. By the time schools are a concern, you may well have changed jobs four times.

Old 01-19-2012, 01:28 AM

3,199 posts, read 7,804,776 times
I think you and your bf need to sit down and compromise because there is not going to be a perfect. You will have to look at what is best in the situation.
Another thought I had was what about downtown Farmington or living in Farmington Hills?

Old 04-17-2012, 02:53 PM

Funny story... That's exactly what we've ended up doing, DaniellaG. Originally boyfriend thought that was too far and absolutely out of the question, but once we started actually driving around neighborhoods and checking things out, we agreed we want Farmington Hills. I've lived in the apartment in Dearborn since January and I think now that I've actually lived there he is taking my concerns about safety a little more seriously. We did drive through the areas he liked in Dearborn Heights and we agreed we liked the houses but the surrounding area just wasn't what I wanted and neither were the schools... and it turns out neither of us liked Allen Park after all. He didn't want what he thought he wanted once we started looking.

There's still a pretty good chance it'll end up being Livonia, since our 150k budget seems a little low for the Farmington Hills area-- especially since boyfriend wants to be as close to Northwestern Hwy as possible-- but it does seem like houses pop up on the market in that price range from time to time. So it will just depend on what our realtor can dig up for us.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Detroit