Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Detroit
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-28-2011, 08:15 AM

42 posts, read 99,027 times

Advertisements

I am looking for neighborhood recommendations between Farmington Hills and Dearborn. My boyfriend currently lives in an apartment in Dearborn near where he works, but he is looking to buy a house and I am trying to research places he could look that would make our commutes more even as I work in Farmington Hills. Our primary concerns are crime and ease of commute. Up until recently he lived in Novi and I liked that area, but he didn’t… not sure why other than that he didn’t like having to drive that far to work. He likes where he lives in Dearborn and mentioned Allen Park, but those are too far away from my work and I don’t like the crime situation there. Any suggestions of places we could look into?

I've heard there are nicer parts of Livonia, might that be a possibility? That's something I'd like to hear more about if anybody knows anything.

Last edited by TwistedxKiss; 11-28-2011 at 09:30 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-28-2011, 09:55 AM

21,088 posts, read 29,057,776 times
Redford in the area between Beech Daly / Inkster / 5 mile / Schoolcraft...houses are probably $150K-$250K?

Old 11-28-2011, 12:09 PM

4,647 posts, read 8,547,334 times
Livonia and Redford are really the only places the seem equidistant from either location. Somewhere between Middlebelt and Telegraph might be a good place for you to look.

Old 11-28-2011, 03:35 PM

30,702 posts, read 79,379,373 times
Northern Livonia is reasonably nice. Parts of Redford township are fairly nice. (Not old redford, that is in Detroit and it is very not nice).

Westland is not bad.

Northville is wonderful, but it is a bit out of the way. However if you were considering Novi, Northville should not be out of the question.

Old 11-29-2011, 08:53 AM

I liked Novi, but I don't think he'd move back there, too far from his work. I'd also like Northville, but I think he'd still think that's too far. We really need to be as close to Dearborn as possible while not being wildly unfair to me considering that I need to get to Farmington. I grew up in Canton and was comfortable there up until recently, I am hoping for a neighborhood with a similar feel in terms of crime-- at least, how Canton was a while back, not loving it as much right now.

Where do prices range in the decent areas of Livonia and Redford? I don't know what his target price is yet to offer that for consideration, he hasn't told me. I don't think we need to be living in the nicest houses in town but crime is a consideration and I know he'll want something well kept.

Old 12-03-2011, 09:33 PM

68 posts, read 161,206 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zthatzmanz28 View Post
Redford in the area between Beech Daly / Inkster / 5 mile / Schoolcraft...houses are probably $150K-$250K?
Almost all the homes in Redford are going for under 80k now. But I must say the area around the golf course is very nice. You'll still find a few homes 100k+.

Old 12-15-2011, 12:32 PM

We've talked some more about this, and he said he was thinking around 150k and it sounds like he might like Livonia if we can find something good there for that price.

Old 12-20-2011, 06:54 AM

3,199 posts, read 7,793,268 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TwistedxKiss View Post
We've talked some more about this, and he said he was thinking around 150k and it sounds like he might like Livonia if we can find something good there for that price.
Since you both are unsure and coming back to the area which may have changed why not rent first that way you are not locked in. You could try an area that you feel you would like and if the commute was too much then you could just move. I think by Laurel Park mall which is sort of bordering Northville is ok?

Old 12-21-2011, 03:30 PM

He just moved to Dearborn from Novi a month ago, so he's done the Novi to Dearborn commute quite a bit. I'm aware that he hated it and I don't think he wants to live that far out again, but he is willing to compromise as I don't want to live all the way in Dearborn any more than he wants to live in Novi. :P I grew up in Canton and currently live there, I went to school in Livonia, and I work in Farmington Hills. So between the two of us we know the area pretty well-- Laurel Park was only a few minutes away from his last apartment. I loved that area, he thought it was too far.

Old 01-16-2012, 09:48 AM

Might anybody have some apartment recommendations in these vicinities? We are thinking ahead to if we don't find a house in time when his lease is up.. he is concerned that we won't and I don't want him to renew the lease in Dearborn. He won't live anywhere that doesn't have a garage and central air, I want a washer and dryer in unit... just the connections might be okay. 1000-1200/mo. He thinks these apartments don't exist in the area unless you go to Novi and he refuses to live that far from Dearborn. >.> This is what he has in Dearborn but I just hate the crime here. Any ideas?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Detroit