U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Detroit
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-29-2011, 01:16 AM

3 posts, read 13,311 times

Advertisements

Hey,

I'm moving to the Detroit area soon for a job with Ford in Dearborn. I am a single 22 yr old male freshly graduating college and looking for a place to live. I have read about Royal Oaks, Ferndale, and some other suburbs/towns that seem real nice. It seems as though for my situation that Royal Oaks would be the route to go, but I figured I would see what peoples' thoughts were on it. I am from a small town in Wisconsin, but have lived in a relatively large city the past few years for college (Madison, WI). I would also not have to drive anything over an hour to work (including traffic).
Any help/comments would be much appreciated.. Thanks!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-29-2011, 04:26 AM

21,090 posts, read 27,671,735 times
There are days when Royal Oak can be an hour or more commute. Coming from Madison (GO BUCKY!) will be a change to say the least. Hard to compare big city Madison, Wisconsin with URBAN Metro Detroit, Michigan. The Southfield is NOT commuter friendly during rush hour. Why Royal Oak? Is it the "best" comparison to Madison? RO ain't all that, and if you are looking for big time night life entertainment, like walking down State STreet, you might be disappointed.
Dearborn is in that pocket where there is no easy way to get in or out during rush hour unless you are within 10-15 miles. I might look at some cities west of Dearborn like Canton, or even Livonia.

Old 11-29-2011, 05:15 AM

4,855 posts, read 8,813,894 times
Actually, Dearborn itself has some very nice areas that seem to attract a younger demographic. The Michigan Avenue corridor between roughly Telegraph and the Southfield Fwy. has developed into a nice area with a bit of a hipster vibe; cigar bars, Mongolian BBQ, Starbucks, Panera Bread, etc., and there are some very nice, newer condos and apartments in that immediate vicinity which would make your commute to Ford a matter of literally a couple of minutes. Canton, Plymouth, Northville, and Novi are all nice, safe, areas, but Canton might be a bit boring for a young guy who's new in town, it's a subdivision, strip mall kind of place. Safe, family-oriented, but not really "young".

If you can visit the area at all and drive around on both a weekday and a weekend, both during the day and in the evening, that would help you to get the vibe of various areas. ITA with the PP, Royal Oak could be a hairy commute some days, and even though it is considered kind of trendy for the younger crowd, it is a bit expensive and not convenient to a job in Dearborn. Not that it isn't doable, just that there are other options. Even Ann Arbor, the mother of all hipster, intellectual college towns, wouldn't be too bad of a commute to Dearborn most of the time. I drive to Dearborn from a town roughly 20 minutes south of Ann Arbor once a week during rush hour. I go straight up 23 to 94 and take 94 from AA to Dearborn. Never is that portion of the trip more than 25-30 minutes, unless something out of the ordinary, such as a bad accident, occurs.

Old 11-29-2011, 08:53 AM

30,327 posts, read 75,323,905 times
Dearborn is hard to get in and out of. The only freeway access is the Southfield and it is a terrible freeway. It is always jammed and the speed limit is 55. part of the Southfield is not a freeway (just a surface street running through Allen Park). You do not want to be very far from Dearborn. You commute can take anywhere from 150% to 300% with weather and we have lots and lots of weather.

Look at Dearborn first. Dearborn has a lot going on and some pretty neat areas. It is home to two colleges and the Henry Ford/Greenfield Villiage often has some neat things going on. They have a great community theater group, orchestra, etc. There is decent shopping and some neat bars/clubs. The middle eastern areas provide a neat multinational experience. There is a sort of downtown. It is not very walkable, but there are some areas where you could park and walk to several places.

Consider Wyandotte. It is a lively little town. There is a bit of life in the downtown along Jefferson and the Riverfront. They have bad schools but you do not care about that. It is not a bad commute to Dearborn. Downtown is very walkable. The riverfront is nice.

Consider downtown or mid-town Detroit. You need to be active and get to know people so you can learn where the fun is, where is safe, where to stay away from. If I were you age I would give downtown a serious look. There is a lot going on, especially in the summer and fall. Since you woudl be opposite traffic, the commute would usually be tolerable.

Livonia is a nice bedroom community near Dearborn. Pretty boring, but nice and safe enough. Not too expensive.

Allen Park is close to Dearborn reasonably clean and safe and cheap. It is not a raucous place, but they have a neat second run movie theater for $1.50 a show and several music stores.

Royal Oak is lively and a good nightspot for your age group, however the commute is not worth the return. Live closer to work and your life will be better. Go to Royal Oak on weekends if you want to, but you will eventually find plenty of fun places closer to home.

Those are really your best choices, and personally if I were you I would choose Dearborn, Wyandotte, or Downtown Detroit (maybe mid-town, but I like downtown better). just remember shorter commute = better life.

Regardless of where you choose to live, buy a membership at the Henry Ford and keep informed about their events. It is a fun place with loads of cool things going on. They also have a very nice IMAX movie theater. Fairlane mall is in Dearborn also. This was once the largest mall in the country (for about a month). It is not a thing of grace and beauty, but if you need a mall, there it is. I have been told do not go there at night, but I never tested that warning, so I do not know whether that is real or just a bunch of cr@p.

Old 11-29-2011, 08:55 AM

915 posts, read 1,389,339 times
I was going to say the same thing as canudigit. The Dearborn area has some really neat areas. I wouldn't discount it. As a young guy, you want to do more than just sit in a car and go to work. Living close to where you work matters.

Old 11-29-2011, 08:55 AM

30,327 posts, read 75,323,905 times
And don't forget to eat a hamburger at Millers Bar

Old 11-29-2011, 10:59 PM

3,188 posts, read 7,504,245 times
I had a friend who did that commute from RO to Dearborn when she worked at Ford. I am not sure how she felt about the drive. I would factor in winters adding a lot of time and stress on the roads plus summers with construction.
What is your price range? Do you know anyone in these areas? If so you may want to think of moving near them. Always nice to know someone close by.

Old 11-29-2011, 11:50 PM

3 posts, read 13,311 times
Thanks for the feedback everyone. I have read other posts on here and none of them have talked about the commute at all. So, I really appreciate the feedback about the commute. I will definitely consider living somewhere a little closer. Anyone have suggestions on apartments for the area? I guess my ideal price range would be around $650/month, but paying as high as $1000/month really wouldn't be a big deal either. I don't know anyone from the area, so a good place to meet people is ideal.

Old 11-30-2011, 10:36 PM

3,188 posts, read 7,504,245 times
Moderator cut: orphaned - the post you were quoting was deleted
There are many people who are happy in MI and the OP has a major positive a job at Ford. To the OP I have lived in a few states and though am not in MI now I feel in many areas it is nice place to live.
I can't give feedback on Dearborn. Are you going to be able to see for yourself though what city you may like? If you can stay in an extended stay hotel for a week at least and go to different near cities to see what you like. For under 1000 you will be able to get a nice place in safe/upscale area. 650 is a little low.

Last edited by Yac; 12-01-2011 at 02:49 AM..

Old 12-02-2011, 12:17 PM

5 posts, read 12,854 times
I'd pick Dearborn as well. Royal Oak and Ferndale are also good. But Dearborn has a lot to offer. Like one person stated. Come on down, stay a while and have a good look around. I think you'll like them all... depends on your budget at that point.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Detroit