Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Detroit
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-01-2012, 02:13 PM

7,237 posts, read 12,741,554 times

Advertisements

And this is exactly why, with each passing day, it'll be harder and harder for Detroit to stage any sort of comeback...

Ron Dzwonkowski: Michigan showing more gray, no future in that | Detroit Free Press | freep.com

Quote:
According to demographer Kurt Metzger, director of Data Driven Detroit, 25% of the state population was over age 50 back in 1990. Twenty years later, it is more than 34% -- and nearly 14% of the state is 65 or older. That's a lot of "institutional knowledge," sure, but with few exceptions, not a lot of invention, innovation, entrepreneurial energy or eagerness to embrace change. While that's natural with aging, it also means that Michigan, in short, is growing more of what's holding us back.

Who cares how many people are here? Who they are is what matters.

Among the 50 states, census data show Michigan ranks 42nd in births per 1,000 residents but 16th in deaths per thousand. So we're doing better at longevity than reproductivity, and thus turning into a place that's top heavy with older people.

And compounding the slow birthrate, "we're just not attracting any young people," said Metzger.

Well, why would we when the dominant hair color young people see around here is Grecian Formula?

"The kinds of things Michigan is doing, things like reforming the business tax, that's not going to attract young people," Metzger said. "Manufacturing, the auto industry, those things are not the things that will be getting young people to come here."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-01-2012, 04:45 PM

21,131 posts, read 19,707,707 times
Quote:
Or we can start getting serious about chasing the future. We're going to have to chase it because it's not coming here. We in the 34% are going to have to start a) listening to what younger people want and accommodating them and b) getting out of their way.
They can vote if they want to.

Old 01-01-2012, 05:00 PM

4,647 posts, read 8,599,691 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Retroit View Post
They can vote if they want to.
Which then allows the other side (presumebly the Tea Partiers) to then point the finger at them for any mistakes or setbacks that occur with more young people oriented policies.

"See? I didn't vote for X, but now look at where we are because of it".

You can't say that Tea Party/Conservative/Republicans would agree to fund or invest in many things that would be proposed (Light Rail, Troy Transit Center, 2nd Bridge to Canada, etc.). Therefore, young people are less willing to put up a fight and just move to somewhere else where they don't have to deal with politics.

Especially, the young people who grew up here who are completely aware of the mentality of the older generation. Then again...some of them might not leave a put up a fight.

Old 01-01-2012, 05:13 PM

4,647 posts, read 8,599,691 times
Well, not saying that the 2nd bridge to Canada and the Troy Transit Center is young people oriented, but I would assume other initiatives would likely be more costly (like the Light Rail) and possibly even change the dynamics of the region over a certain time frame.

It's already apparent that the older generation is very much against this because of usually a) "if I can't use it in my lifetime, what's the point" and/or b) "too expensive, waste of spending, etc."

Old 01-01-2012, 09:44 PM

5,981 posts, read 13,121,497 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 313Weather View Post
And this is exactly why, with each passing day, it'll be harder and harder for Detroit to stage any sort of comeback...

Ron Dzwonkowski: Michigan showing more gray, no future in that | Detroit Free Press | freep.com
I certainly don't see it in Royal Oak, Ann Arbor, Downtown-Midtown Detroit, etc.

Michigan has a multitude of small towns, as well as resorty-retirement oriented areas.

I seriously don't see how this really affects specific urban areas in Michigan to attract young people.

Old 01-01-2012, 10:25 PM

1,497 posts, read 3,490,640 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tex?Il? View Post
I certainly don't see it in Royal Oak, Ann Arbor, Downtown-Midtown Detroit, etc.

Michigan has a multitude of small towns, as well as resorty-retirement oriented areas.

I seriously don't see how this really affects specific urban areas in Michigan to attract young people.
I have to disagree with you in part. Sure, there are a few colonies of young people in Metro Detroit, but the overall age of the region is very noticeable compared to other places in the country.

The affect of this imbalance is reflected in the lack of support for anything other than what the prior generation found to be desirable in 1950. Younger people who have a different vision of life have basically abandoned the region.

This issue is quite serious. Forget that we're talking about "young people." These people are consumers and taxpayers. When they leave, the value of everyone's homes goes down, businesses go under, and the tax base crumbles. If you need an example of what declining population does to a place, look no further than Detroit. Michigan will suffer similar consequences if it cannot start attracting/stemming the flow of young people from the state.

It really doesn't need to be an "us vs. them" situation. There simply must be an understanding between generations that a stable society needs both young and old citizens. Europeans are very aware of this issue as many countries are struggling with low birthrates and the out-migration of their younger citizens. It has put a huge burden on several national economies.

Michigan really, really needs to take stock of its assets and leverage them to attracting young, new residents. As Metro Detroit comprises an enormous part of Michigan, it needs to make similar adjustments. The old-aged now makes up the majority of the electorate, so they must be the ones to have the foresight to save this place. Right now, I am completely uninspired by the decision-making and attitude of our elected leaders. They are pushing more and more people away.

In the end, those who are left here will suffer unless they happen to work in healthcare or own a Bob Evans.

Old 01-01-2012, 10:56 PM

5,981 posts, read 13,121,497 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ForStarters View Post
I have to disagree with you in part. Sure, there are a few colonies of young people in Metro Detroit, but the overall age of the region is very noticeable compared to other places in the country.

The affect of this imbalance is reflected in the lack of support for anything other than what the prior generation found to be desirable in 1950. Younger people who have a different vision of life have basically abandoned the region.

This issue is quite serious. Forget that we're talking about "young people." These people are consumers and taxpayers. When they leave, the value of everyone's homes goes down, businesses go under, and the tax base crumbles. If you need an example of what declining population does to a place, look no further than Detroit. Michigan will suffer similar consequences if it cannot start attracting/stemming the flow of young people from the state.

It really doesn't need to be an "us vs. them" situation. There simply must be an understanding between generations that a stable society needs both young and old citizens. Europeans are very aware of this issue as many countries are struggling with low birthrates and the out-migration of their younger citizens. It has put a huge burden on several national economies.

Michigan really, really needs to take stock of its assets and leverage them to attracting young, new residents. As Metro Detroit comprises an enormous part of Michigan, it needs to make similar adjustments. The old-aged now makes up the majority of the electorate, so they must be the ones to have the foresight to save this place. Right now, I am completely uninspired by the decision-making and attitude of our elected leaders. They are pushing more and more people away.

In the end, those who are left here will suffer unless they happen to work in healthcare or own a Bob Evans.
I read a few of your lasts posts. I see you are really upset about the light rail not making it.

I can tell you are really dissappointed. You have been one of the most upbeat people on this forum about Detroit. I'm sorry. I hope it hasn't ruined your passion for promoting the city.

I do understand the importance of public transportation. I know personally, for me, its kind of icing on the cake. (LA is my favorite city in the whole wide world, I just moved there! And while it does have a subway, you can tell that if LA is my personal emerald city, public transit is not the most important thing for me).

But I do realize its important to so many, and important for the revitalization of a city.

All I can say is, don't give up. I'm sure the plans will get resurrected.

Old 01-02-2012, 04:43 AM

348 posts, read 638,519 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by animatedmartian View Post
Which then allows the other side (presumebly the Tea Partiers) to then point the finger at them for any mistakes or setbacks that occur with more young people oriented policies.

"See? I didn't vote for X, but now look at where we are because of it".

You can't say that Tea Party/Conservative/Republicans would agree to fund or invest in many things that would be proposed (Light Rail, Troy Transit Center, 2nd Bridge to Canada, etc.). Therefore, young people are less willing to put up a fight and just move to somewhere else where they don't have to deal with politics.

Especially, the young people who grew up here who are completely aware of the mentality of the older generation. Then again...some of them might not leave a put up a fight.
Isn't it weird how them Texans (Houston) have no problem with electing a gay-female mayor,
are making major plans for the expansion of public transit,
and are looking to increase population density in the downtown core.....
and Detroit gets left behind....decaying....depopulated.....still struggling with its ghosts from the past....

In fact, Houston is one of the most multicultural cities in North America. It's got huge Mexican, SouthEast Asian, Vietnamese, AAmerican communities.

Texans have become flexible, adaptable, tolerant.
Georgians too. Even the governors of South Carolina and Louisiana are of Indian origin.

Everything and anything for survival, growth and progress.
The old South is a new south.
And Detroit is stuck with its cars.

Old 01-02-2012, 07:15 AM

13,806 posts, read 9,705,888 times
This is a symptom of Michigans job losses. Young couples needs JOBS. Michigan lost nearly a million jobs the past decade. Many had to leave the state to find work. If the Jobs come back to Michigan then the young will come back to Michigan. Also, the state, due to jobs, did not attract a large number of immigrants, which is where much of the growth of the young population comes from.

Michigan is a recreational paradise. Michigan has what it takes, more than most states, to attract and keep people....IF IT WERE NOT FOR THE JOB CRISIS. If Michigan fixes its jobs problem, then it fixes all its other problems (relative to other states).

Old 01-02-2012, 07:22 AM

7,237 posts, read 12,741,554 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Indentured Servant View Post
This is a symptom of Michigans job losses. Young couples needs JOBS. Michigan lost nearly a million jobs the past decade. Many had to leave the state to find work. If the Jobs come back to Michigan then the young will come back to Michigan. Also, the state, due to jobs, did not attract a large number of immigrants, which is where much of the growth of the young population comes from.

Michigan is a recreational paradise. Michigan has what it takes, more than most states, to attract and keep people....IF IT WERE NOT FOR THE JOB CRISIS. If Michigan fixes its jobs problem, then it fixes all its other problems (relative to other states).
If you have some time, try reading this article to understand things from an outsider's perspective (a business owner BTW)...

Michigan CEO: Soul-Crushing Sprawl Killing Business | Rust Wire
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Detroit