Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Detroit
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-12-2012, 07:27 PM

1,742 posts, read 4,002,850 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Retroit View Post
Where would the duty free shop have been located in the MDOT plan?

Mouron can locate wherever he wants after the roadways are built. He built it after they agreed to a plan and designed the traffic flow to funnel people to his duty free shop and took over an MDOT road.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-12-2012, 07:28 PM

21,137 posts, read 19,714,475 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnr83 View Post
And he knew MDOT would have never thrown the money into the Gateway Project if they knew what he was planning, so he agreed to build a ramp he had no intentions of building. Do you like having your money thrown away as a taxpayer?
So MDOT gave him money to build this with no oversight? When I drive by simple road construction projects, I see more supervisors standing around with clipboards than I see workers. You're telling me that MDOT was not monitoring construction along the way? How does one build a truck stop and a duty-free shop without anyone knowing until construction is complete?

Old 01-12-2012, 07:31 PM

Quote:
So MDOT gave him money to build this with no oversight? When I drive by simple road construction projects, I see more supervisors standing around with clipboards than I see workers. You're telling me that MDOT was not monitoring construction along the way? How does one build a truck stop and a duty-free shop without anyone knowing until construction is complete?

As mentioned before the state brought legal action against Mouron and tried to halt construction of the project. Your anecdotal evidence of seeing construction workers holding clipboards is quite humorous though.

Old 01-12-2012, 07:32 PM

179 posts, read 273,755 times
MDOT sued immediately when he deviated from the contract. The court ordered him to follow the contract. He didn't, and now he's in jail. That's the oversight. MDOT doesn't have unlimited power, which is why we have the legal system and courts - to enforce contracts. Protecting property and enforcing contracts are the two most important functions of government in a market economy. When the state stops enforcing contracts is when corruption becomes institutionalized. This isn't just about Matty Moroun, decisions have consequences, that's the point.

Old 01-12-2012, 07:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scolls View Post
Mouron can locate wherever he wants after the roadways are built. He built it after they agreed to a plan and designed the traffic flow to funnel people to his duty free shop and took over an MDOT road.
If he can locate it wherever he wants, then what is the problem? Where was the provision for a duty-free shop in the MDOT plan? And how would it be possible to not funnel people to a duty-free shop? By definition, access to a duty-free shop must be restricted, yet available to all vehicles entering the bridge. The duty-free shops for the tunnel are similarly positioned.

Old 01-12-2012, 07:37 PM

179 posts, read 273,755 times
The Duty Free shop is the MOST IMPORTANT part of the it!!!!!! HOW can we have a bridge without one??????????????!!

Old 01-12-2012, 07:38 PM

Okay, this isn't getting anywhere. I was hoping to be educated on why the MDOT plan is superior, but I guess if you are looking at it from the standpoint of sticking with the original plan, no matter how defective it is, you both have a point.

I admit I haven't been following this closely. It seems odd to me that the rebuilding of the expressway and tollways was complete a couple years ago, yet is taking till now to resolve it.

Old 01-12-2012, 07:39 PM

Quote:
If he can locate it wherever he wants, then what is the problem? Where was the provision for a duty-free shop in the MDOT plan? And how would it be possible to not funnel people to a duty-free shop? By definition, access to a duty-free shop must be restricted, yet available to all vehicles entering the bridge. The duty-free shops for the tunnel are similarly positioned.

I said after the road was built. The duty free shop was not part of the plans. Walmart can't just open a store in the middle of Gratiot and then tell MDOT they are going to reroute traffic around the store. The problem is, he built it right in the middle of the roadway he agreed to build and then rerouted traffic without MDOT approval.

Old 01-12-2012, 07:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnr83 View Post
The Duty Free shop is the MOST IMPORTANT part of the it!!!!!! HOW can we have a bridge without one??????????????!!
Can you? Please enlighten me.

Old 01-12-2012, 07:40 PM

Quote:
Okay, this isn't getting anywhere. I was hoping to be educated on why the MDOT plan is superior, but I guess if you are looking at it from the standpoint of sticking with the original plan, no matter how defective it is, you both have a point.

I admit I haven't been following this closely. It seems odd to me that the rebuilding of the expressway and tollways was complete a couple years ago, yet is taking till now to resolve it.

I was hoping to be educated on why Mouron's plan is more logical and why it is ok to willingly break laws. This has been ongoing for years. It still isn't resolved.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Detroit