Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Detroit
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-14-2012, 12:50 PM

1,742 posts, read 3,984,350 times

Advertisements

MDOT spent 230 million to build ramps to have traffic flow directly from the bridge to 75/96. As part of the agreement, Moroun would then connect the MDOT ramps to the bridge. He did not do that. It's pretty simple. MDOT spent 230 million on ramps that lead nowhere. Who cares what Stamper claims they spent? Most of that was on his duty free shop that he's making 50 cents a gallon off of. The project was suppose to take traffic off residential roads and increase traffic flow. It does neither because Moroun didn't complete his end.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-14-2012, 03:41 PM

348 posts, read 635,386 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scolls View Post
MDOT spent 230 million to build ramps to have traffic flow directly from the bridge to 75/96. As part of the agreement, Moroun would then connect the MDOT ramps to the bridge. He did not do that. It's pretty simple. MDOT spent 230 million on ramps that lead nowhere. Who cares what Stamper claims they spent? Most of that was on his duty free shop that he's making 50 cents a gallon off of. The project was suppose to take traffic off residential roads and increase traffic flow. It does neither because Moroun didn't complete his end.
"Dare we hope for that, now that Matty Moroun has been in jail? — Windsor is going to be a construction hot spot."

Read more: Vander Doelen: 2012, the year Windsor rebuilds (http://www.windsorstar.com/Vander+Doelen+2012+year+Windsor+rebuilds/5994182/story.html#ixzz1jTGg2POz - broken link)

Old 01-14-2012, 03:42 PM

183 posts, read 321,323 times
Just when I thought my faith in the American judicial system had been restored, 'ol Matty Maroun gets his team of lawyers to get him out of jail. I think most peoples beef with the guy is that they think he is a bad corporate citizen who only does what is best for his bottom line because God knows having just a billion dollars or so laying around just 'aint enough to get by these days.

Just because you can milk the legal system for all it's worth while thumbing your nose at the rest of the population doesn't make it right in my eyes. The government spends millions of dollars on a project designed to funnel people to your own personal cash cow and you pay them back by intentionally defaulting on your end of the bargain. How utterly immoral can you possibly get.

Add this to the long list of why the rest of the country and world are laughing in our faces at what a goofball set up we have in Detroit. The old joke of if you believe that I have a bridge to sell you doesn't apply here because I'll be damned if the government won't sell it to you. But hey, look at the bright side, at least Kwame wasn't able to sell the tunnel like he wanted to - that money would be long gone by now and we wouldn't have that either.

Old 01-15-2012, 02:50 PM

20,900 posts, read 19,372,836 times
Just out of curiosity (since the schematics mislead me to believe the ramp was opened and that I don't disagree that it should have been, and still could be, opened if it wasn't), how is the traffic flow by the inbound trucks different now than before construction started? Did they always drive west on Fort, then up Grand Blvd, then west on Lafayette to the highway entrance ramp?

...'cause I've heard residents complain about the truck traffic on their street, and I'm just wondering whether this truck traffic started before or after they moved there.

Old 01-15-2012, 02:56 PM

The traffic flow isn't different now. That's the problem.

Old 01-15-2012, 03:37 PM

Quote:
The traffic flow isn't different now. That's the problem.
Okay, I didn't think so. Which makes me wonder why would people move to that street/neighborhood if they didn't want to be near that traffic. It's not like it is a "hidden danger". They make it seem like this traffic just popped up because a ramp wasn't built.

Old 01-15-2012, 03:47 PM

Using that logic the city should just stop bothering to fight crime. People shouldn't move to Detroit if they don't want to be near crime. It's not like it's a hidden danger. The crime just didn't pop up.

I'm puzzled why you go to great lengths to defend a man who wasted 230 million tax dollars and is clearly in the wrong.

Old 01-15-2012, 03:50 PM

256 posts, read 206,329 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Retroit View Post
Just out of curiosity (since the schematics mislead me to believe the ramp was opened and that I don't disagree that it should have been, and still could be, opened if it wasn't), how is the traffic flow by the inbound trucks different now than before construction started? Did they always drive west on Fort, then up Grand Blvd, then west on Lafayette to the highway entrance ramp?

...'cause I've heard residents complain about the truck traffic on their street, and I'm just wondering whether this truck traffic started before or after they moved there.
Bing maps of Detroit are very out of date and show the set up before the gateway projected started. Before all trucks exited on to Fort. Northbound trucks would go down to Clark. Southbound trucks would use Fort, Grand Blvd and Layfayette

Bing Maps - Driving Directions, Traffic and Road Conditions

In the birds eye view shows the problems perfectly with the large number of trucks waiting to turn at Clark and Grand Blvd

http://binged.it/ykOEH (broken link)

Last edited by Spartanguy; 01-15-2012 at 04:41 PM..

Old 01-15-2012, 04:09 PM

Quote:
...People shouldn't move to Detroit if they don't want to be near crime. It's not like it's a hidden danger. The crime just didn't pop up...
I agree with this part. A person shouldn't move to a high crime city and then get upset because a police program didn't bring crime below levels that existed before that plan was implemented. You should base decisions on existing conditions, not what "could be".

Old 01-15-2012, 04:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spartanguy View Post
Bing maps of Detroit are very out of date and show the set up before the gateway projected started. Before all trucks exited on to Fort. Northbound trucks would go down to Clark. Southbound trucks would use Fort, Grand Blvd and Layfayette

[url]http://binged.it/z7pyJn[ /url]

In the birds eye view shows the problems perfectly with the large number of trucks waiting to turn at Clark and Grand Blvd

http://binged.it/ykOEHE
Okay, thanks, and welcome to the forum. I knew that BingMaps was out of date. I think Google's is current. It shows that ramp partially completed. I didn't realize this when I made my initial remarks as I was basing my opinion on the schematics that animatedmartian posted. Unfortunately, it looks like I will never be forgiven for this, even though I admitted I wasn't aware that this ramp had not been completed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Detroit