Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Detroit
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-16-2012, 06:38 AM

16,257 posts, read 43,168,834 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Retroit View Post
I enjoy "touring the ruins" in the city of Detroit and would encourage others to do so if that is what they are interested in. Rome, Greece, Mayans, Incas, and many other ruins sites are big tourist destinations. I think it is an educational experience and helps us to understand who we are as a people.

I would echo johnr83 not to go into these ruins as they can be dangerous and I have never done so. But I have driven through all areas of Detroit in the daytime and have frequently gotten out of my car to take pictures (not venturing far), and have never had a problem. (Not that it matters, but I am a middle-aged white male). If I have an uneasy feeling, I move on. If there are people around who I think might pose a problem, I move on. You will invariably be approached by people asking for money. That will happen just about everywhere you go in Detroit, even the nicer areas of downtown (actually more so). I've been solicited by some of the ugliest prostitutes known to man. Oh, and there was a crazy black lady with a huge Afro that followed me around downtown one day while I was taking pictures yelling at me to get the #$%@ out of her city.

There are ruins just about everywhere you turn. The houses and small businesses are so numerous, you really can't avoid them. Also many big buildings, apartment complexes, and factories. Some of the best known sites are:
  1. Michigan Central Station
  2. Packard Plant
  3. Brush Park, although this area was cleaned up a few years ago
You can also expect to be treated to an arson fire during your stay. These are quite common. I frequently see them during my journeys. They are easy to find with the smoke, and usually linger on for quite awhile due to the lack of firefighters & trucks, fire hydrants (fire plugs) that don't work, low water pressure, etc.

P.S. Please excuse fmax.
Funny about the old lady telling you to get out of her city That's the Detroit I remember from a kid (as a white kid).

I also agree about the driving around pretty much anywhere during the daytime. I never got out to walk around, I'd just look out the window, and occassionally take a few photos of some of the more interesting stuff around.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-16-2012, 07:30 AM

30,708 posts, read 79,764,742 times
There are riuns tours available. They try to keep you safe.

Going into ruins without training is like going spelunking or skydiving without learning how first. Crazy dangerous. These are not disney created psuedo ruis that are there fore tourists to look at, they are crumbling buildings. Crumbling buildings crumble and they do nto ask your permission or warn you first.

As far as crime, you might get into trouble if you encounter a really high homelss person who wants something, or come across a drug deal. However not too many drug deals are consumated in ruined buildings. They usually want heat or AC. The same is true of gang bangers, they do not hang out in ruined buildings a great deal (maybe an abandoned house). They like more comfortable locales.

I cannot recall ever heaing of a tourist getting killed in Detroit. It has probably happened. certainly some have been robbed, especially if they walk around displaying bling or leave fancy electronics in sight in their car. Idiots = victims. However nto all victims are idiots (but an awful lot of them are).

Old 01-16-2012, 04:45 PM

5,739 posts, read 6,931,116 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger Beer View Post
Funny about the old lady telling you to get out of her city That's the Detroit I remember from a kid (as a white kid).
------
Hate to be obvious, but many of the homeless have varying degrees of mental illness or untreated conditions, including one lady who would shout at you suddenly when walking by (Tourette's), thus making you jump out of your shoes. I also recall a street-corner preacher with a booming voice which echoed off the downtown buildings.

Old 01-16-2012, 04:55 PM

53 posts, read 301,330 times
nice! i just soo can't wait for the virtues of detroit ha. but how do like all the normal everyday average joe in detroit put up with all this? used to it i suppose?!
is there any record shops in detroit that sell house/techno?

Old 01-16-2012, 06:04 PM

4,647 posts, read 8,595,025 times
Actually, it's sort of the usual of large American cities to have that type of folk. Particularly, Los Angeles, but probably anywhere I suppose. The chances of seeing someone like that isn't low at all and there are even certain spots where they congregate.

I remember going to the McDonalds in Midtown and seeing a homeless guy eating. He was telling his story, ya know, to no one in particular, but occasionally he'd get loud and start dropping F-bombs. There was a security guy that kept telling him to quiet down and clean his language (ya know, kids around and stuff), or else he would have to kick him out. Unfortunately, I only had to pee and my parents were in the drive-thru. I didn't really see the rest of the situation before I left out.

But something like that isn't unusual in urban America and it just varies by how often you might see it in a particular town. In fact, there's a good chance that you'll see a few homeless folk walking around and dancing near the DEMF. They congregate under Hart Plaza but I presume that they're forced to move during events and whatnot but are allowed back after the event is over. It's sort of sad, but just the realities of problems in America.

Old 01-16-2012, 07:06 PM

16,257 posts, read 43,168,834 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by deckhead View Post
nice! i just soo can't wait for the virtues of detroit ha. but how do like all the normal everyday average joe in detroit put up with all this? used to it i suppose?!
is there any record shops in detroit that sell house/techno?
Not many 'normal everyday joe' people just walking around Detroit. It's generally a car-oriented city. So people just park, get out of their car, than get back in the car.

4,296,250 for Metro Detroit population and only 713,777 are within the city limits. Even those in the city limits need cars, as public transportation is fairly abysmal.

Much of the wide streets of Detroit feel fairly empty of cars as well, as there isn't a whole lot in the city limits. There is a nice desolate feel to it though.

Granted you'll probably be in downtown Detroit which will have a bit more life to it than the general city limits.

This will all make perfect sense once you actually visit. Definitely 100% rent a car, it's really the only way to get a feel for the city.

Old 01-16-2012, 10:44 PM

3,671 posts, read 5,883,465 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger Beer View Post
Not many 'normal everyday joe' people just walking around Detroit. It's generally a car-oriented city. So people just park, get out of their car, than get back in the car.

4,296,250 for Metro Detroit population and only 713,777 are within the city limits. Even those in the city limits need cars, as public transportation is fairly abysmal.

Much of the wide streets of Detroit feel fairly empty of cars as well, as there isn't a whole lot in the city limits. There is a nice desolate feel to it though.

Granted you'll probably be in downtown Detroit which will have a bit more life to it than the general city limits.

This will all make perfect sense once you actually visit. Definitely 100% rent a car, it's really the only way to get a feel for the city.
Your talking about the winter time right??? Because when it's nice out it is always people outside. Unless of course your talking about an empty neighborhood. Because even in the most crime infested neighborhoods there are a decent amount of people walking around.

These videos were talking around 12:00 in the afternoon according to them which is pretty early and it's still quite a few people walking around. (Ignore their convo, just hit the mute button.)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FShfq...7&feature=plcp
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aTpRy...9&feature=plcp

Last edited by MS313; 01-16-2012 at 11:07 PM..

Old 01-16-2012, 10:49 PM

Location: Detroit's eastside, downtown Detroit in near future!
2,053 posts, read 4,391,825 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarvinStrong313 View Post
Your talking about the winter time right??? Because when it's nice out it is always people outside.

ssssshhhhh don't tell the suburbanites that secret! lol let them think there is absolutely no activity in neighborhoods outside of midtown. I'll just continue to complain, esp in the summer, of why I can't get to sleep because people in my neighborhood act as if they can't go in the house at 5am

Old 01-16-2012, 11:13 PM

3,671 posts, read 5,883,465 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by detroitlove View Post
ssssshhhhh don't tell the suburbanites that secret! lol let them think there is absolutely no activity in neighborhoods outside of midtown. I'll just continue to complain, esp in the summer, of why I can't get to sleep because people in my neighborhood act as if they can't go in the house at 5am
lmao oops. I guess I shouldn't have posted those video's I found on youtube huh?

And what do you mean people in your neighborhood? ghost towns are quiet and empty with hardly any people living in them.

Old 01-17-2012, 01:43 AM

1,395 posts, read 2,523,901 times
Detroit ‑ The Murder City, a documentary featuring Seven the General.

Joy Road beatdown. This is a bunch of young women fighting. The popping of a pistol around the one minute mark is particularly charming. Note that the young women don't really stop when the gunfire rings out.

Detroit ambulance crew breaks down in a neighborhood where gunfire rings out all around them to ring in the New Year. This was just a couple of weeks ago.

Yeah, deckhead, Detroit is a rough town.

Last edited by maclock; 01-17-2012 at 02:33 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Detroit