Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Detroit
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-26-2012, 07:23 PM

3,671 posts, read 5,883,465 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Retroit View Post
People move to Miami for the weather. Inside the intercoastal, it's a slum.

***Mod: Not Detroit related. Should be posted in the City vs. City forum.***
That is exactly what surprised me about the city. I came to realize that Miami is just another major city, just a lil more glitter which makes it special to some people.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-26-2012, 10:08 PM

Location: Detroit's eastside, downtown Detroit in near future!
2,053 posts, read 4,392,054 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarvinStrong313 View Post
See Chicago is a prime example of why downtown's (or a hot tourist spot) is so important. If Detroit's downtown/Midtown/Corktown area was like downtown Chicago or Manhattan, it would naturally have many investments running threw revitalizing places like Jefferson Ave (which is already happening), eventually, the national media would have less to talk about and many people would start completely ignoring the fact that it still has many bad areas and go off saying "aww Detroit is so beautiful, it's so nice ect." (Some of the worst projects in the nation was right next to downtown Chicago). A better example is Miami. South Beach has successfully hid the other side of Miami from everybody. Single handily. I could not believe that Miami had so many run down areas the way people talk about Miami like it's paradise. See when the entire nation thinks that a city is run down or very dangerous, it's not going to be as many people coming to visit and spend money there or invest. But put a hot tourist spot in the city and ut oh, the blinders are on. Tourism and investments are threw the roof.
so true. I honestly believe that the media doesn't tell the whole story when it comes to most cities. Thats why I've always had more of interest in cities like Baltimore, New Orleans, Philly etc. Because I know exactly how Detroit's rep has hurt us in so many ways and is exaggerated at times

Old 01-28-2012, 01:33 AM

2,982 posts, read 4,098,763 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarvinStrong313 View Post
Even though this may be true. Just because it's the top 3 most dangerous doesn't mean you will be shot at on sight just for driving through. THAT is what we mean by "over dramatization".
That was not at all what the comment I replied to said at all. It implied that Detroit really was no different from any other city, and that the reputation it has for being rough was due in part to sensationalism. I stand by my statement that when your city consistantly makes the top 5 most violent cities list on a yearly basis, it reputation is deserved and for good reason. That being said, I concur you are not very likely to be shot dead while driving your car through Detroit at 1:00 in the afternoon, however I don't think that would be likely scenario for any city in the U.S.

Quote:
And also Detroit is a big place, and even though it may be true that Detroit has neighborhoods that look worse than any neighborhood in Vegas or Chicago. The southside of Chicago is also a big place, the part you were in might not have looked that bad but I been all over the Chi and can tell you they have some neighborhoods that come very close to Detroit's worst ghetto's. Try going all the way down the "Magnificent Mile" (Michigan Ave) and once your around 47th or 55th street and it wont be nothing "magnificent" about it. Large vacant apartment complexes and large open spaces with garbage everywhere. Matterfact there are many neighborhoods on the southside east of the dan ryan comparable to the worse Detroit neighborhoods as far as condition goes, and when the projects was all over there it was even worse. And then there is the westside of Chicago which looks worse than the southside. Especially in the Lawndale area.
One of the top 10 worst neighbourhoods in America is within Harlem, but you don't hear Manhattan being touted as one of the most violent cities in the nation. The reason being is because overall, Manhattan enjoys a relatively low crime rate. Unfortunately, this is not the case for Detroit (although the arguement could be made that because of depopulation trends, the "low crime" neighbourhoods are depleting while the higher-crime areas are expanding).

I agree that there are parts of Chicago's South Side that I was in that were in a worse state of decay than many parts of Detroit. However, when you compare the rate of violent crime between cities on a per capita basis, it tends to paint a fairly accurate picture of how well deserved a reputation is for any given city. That being the case, the fact Detroit consistantly makes the top five year after year means exactly that; it is one of the most violent cities in America. That is not undeserved sensationalism, it is a fact.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Detroit