Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Detroit
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-27-2012, 10:27 AM

30,708 posts, read 79,793,239 times

Advertisements

I keep discovering additioanl neat parts of Detroit (North Roasedale Park is the most recent). It there a list somewhere of all of the parts of Detroit that are still reasonably nice?

These I know of:

Downtown
Midtown
University
Indian Villiage
Marina _____ (whatever it is called)
Palmer Park/Woods
Rosedale PArk (or at least North Rosedale Park)

I would like to include Corktown, Mexican town, Boston Edison, and Brush Park becuase they have some streets that are phenominal, but I am not sure they can be included as still a reasoanbly nice place to live. While I love all four areas, I would have some reservations about living there.

I am not talking about places to live with kids. As far as I am concerened there are no places that are "nice" to live with kids. Some places are accetpable or offer things to balance out the terrible schools, no place to play or ride a bike and safety concerns, but I woudl not call them "nice" places to raise kids.

To me nice means walkable, great architecture, nice neighbors, reasonable distance from really nasty/decaying areas, well maintained properties, no coke/gang parties . . .
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-27-2012, 10:56 AM

117 posts, read 189,383 times
What about Woodbridge??

Old 01-27-2012, 11:01 AM

5,696 posts, read 19,141,697 times
The last time I drove through Indian Village, quite a few homes had barbed wire on top of the fences. Has that changed? The homes were stunning.

Old 01-27-2012, 11:04 AM

30,708 posts, read 79,793,239 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyveker View Post
What about Woodbridge??
I ahve not been in there in almost 30 years. Is it nice now? It was not then.

Old 01-27-2012, 12:06 PM

21,096 posts, read 19,703,590 times
A few others further down the list:
  1. East English Village, where I believe our dear friend detroitlove lives. And the area to the east around Chandler Park
  2. Regent Park & Mohican Regent (the area just south of 8 Mile Road bordering Eastpointe) is still intact and fairly well kept. But once you get south of State Fair (7 1/2 Mile Road) it deteriorates drastically.
  3. There are some new housing developments on the far east side. Can't remember the name off the top of my head (Victoria Park?).
  4. The exclusive gated street that Bing lives on (Keelson Drive?).
  5. Some areas of the far northwest are okay.
  6. Harbortown
  7. Virginia Park is a secluded little neighborhood with newer, fairly well-kept homes.
  8. Oakman Blvd has nice, fairly well-kept homes. (Not really a neighborhood, though)
  9. Lafayette Park, if you like that Modernist architecture.
This may help identifying locations: Cityscape Detroit > Detroit NeighborhoodsAnd: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Neighborhoods_in_Detroit

Last edited by Retroit; 01-27-2012 at 12:45 PM.. Reason: additions, verifications, and editions

Old 01-27-2012, 12:26 PM

30 posts, read 79,205 times
- Old Redford & (sorta) Riverdale
- The neighborhoods west of River Rouge Park

Old 01-27-2012, 12:39 PM

21,088 posts, read 29,216,093 times
My favorite stomping grounds---Brightmoor.

Old 01-27-2012, 12:43 PM

117 posts, read 189,383 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldjensens View Post
I ahve not been in there in almost 30 years. Is it nice now? It was not then.
Yeah it's gotten really nice. A ton of wayne state kids have moved in, in the north part, but it's still a very diverse neighborhood. I lived in the southern block on commonwealth, near grand river, and my block was half families, a couple of wayne staters, and then a couple of single people. There were block meetings every two weeks. There's very little abandonment. Many homes - and the apartment buildings - have been renovated, quite a few by this guy:

Live in Woodbridge

His houses are easy to spot because they all have trendy looking bike racks installed.

Plus there's Woodbridge Pub and there's something called the mulberry project opening up. There's also Trumbullplex, an anarchist collective that's been around twenty years. And there's an the contemporary art institute of detroit, a gallery and show space on rosa parks. A couple of blocks west (not really in Woodbridge, but on its perimeter) there's the Kunsthalle Detroit, a video and light museum that opened up last year.

It's a great neighborhood, close to midtown and downtown, nice small streets with big trees, and everyone is mega friendly (which is a quality that I see in most Detroiters, actually!). You can walk around at night and feel totally safe, although, of course, as in many Detroit neighborhoods, there's been some car thefts et al.

It definitely deserves to be on the list.

Just our of curiosity, what was it like when it wasn't so good? I became friends with some of my neighbors who said they had been there for forty years!

Old 01-27-2012, 12:51 PM

30 posts, read 79,205 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zthatzmanz28 View Post
My favorite stomping grounds---Brightmoor.
Either I didn't catch the sarcasm there or you haven't been to Brightmoor in a while haha.

Old 01-27-2012, 01:14 PM

4,647 posts, read 8,598,154 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maslanka View Post
Either I didn't catch the sarcasm there or you haven't been to Brightmoor in a while haha.
Actually, there's a tiny corner of Brightmoor that has some decent brick homes. But of course assuming he meant the majority of the neighborhood, then it probably was sarcasm.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Detroit