Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
2,500,000 members. Thank you!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Detroit
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-27-2012, 06:55 PM

3 posts, read 3,524 times

Advertisements

Long time lurker here - we are finally moving forward with a move to Detroit - got the offer tonight for husband's employment.

I've done research here and on Zillow/Trulia regarding various places to live and think the option that fits us best is one of the Grosse Pointes. As a bit of background we are in our early 40s, no kids (and its staying that way!), one dog and a love for older homes. We will probably be coming up this weekend to do our first house hunting trip (as we already have ours sold...)

Questions:
Husband's job is in Southfield - he'll be there 50-60% of the time and traveling the other 40-50% of the time (mostly by air). From comments on other posts and mapping it - looks like it might be 30-40 minute commute? He does an hour each way right now so this would be less - but I wanted to gut check my assumptions.

Our dog needs lots of exercise - looks like the closest dog parks are in GP Woods and St Clair Shores? It appears you can't use the GP Woods dog park unless you live in GP Woods but it looks like you can buy a non-resident pass to the St. Clair Shores one?

Silly question - but I'll ask it anyway. We currently live in Indianapolis and the summers here are killing me (getting old I guess). I know it will be somewhat cooler in Detroit in general (not much, I know, but some) but is there any advantage to the GPs weather wise - being near the water? (i.e. breezes or coolness?) I told you it was a silly question.

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-27-2012, 08:17 PM

4,647 posts, read 8,536,979 times
There's definitely a cooler breeze by the lake front. It's probably not really measurable by much but for someone not used to a lake front, it's definitely noticeable.

If it gets to 90 in the summer, it'll still feel like 90. Just 90 with a breeze that's as effective as a small fan and "smell" like water. (I guess more of a clean air smell).

But yea, other than that, there's not a dramatic difference in the weather in relation to the lake. Hope that helps, and good luck on finding a home!

Old 02-27-2012, 10:34 PM

5,739 posts, read 6,887,841 times
GP to Southfield in 40 minutes with no direct route? I don't see how. I grew up at Mack & Moross BTW (as did some people of relative notoriety ).
Ask the locals about fish-fly hatching season (July) - a minor annoyance but somewhat legendary. I've been away for 13 years but I did grow up 2 blocks off Mack Ave by GP Farms.
Prevailing winds are west to east but breezes on or at the lake seem to be a bit cooler. Lots of boating there.

Old 02-28-2012, 06:19 AM

102 posts, read 234,524 times
Depending on where you settle in Grosse Pointe - you can either take 94East to 696 West to Southfield or 94 West to M10 (Lodge Freeway) North to Southfield. The latter at first might seem longer - but you'll have no traffic heading north on the Lodge (M10) and is often much faster than the westbound I696 commute. Typical 30 minutes - some days a bit longer - all depends on timing of commute.

Old 02-29-2012, 07:30 AM

3 posts, read 3,524 times
Thanks to all of you for your responses! Still hoping someone with some dog park knowledge helps me out with my question about that.

Old 02-29-2012, 01:43 PM

1,733 posts, read 2,407,890 times
Have you thought about the Royal Oak area? There are lot's of older homes with charm in that area. I am assuming there are quite a few dog parks as well. It's only 15-20 minutes from Southfield so it's definitely closer. Price range should be pretty close to the same too. They also have a nice down town area with stuff going on all the time.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Detroit