Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Detroit
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-07-2013, 10:40 AM

2,063 posts, read 1,863,133 times

Advertisements

Heritage Park in Farmington Hills is on Farmington Rd., south of 11mi. It's large; 111 acres and so much to do and see! There is so much natural beauty in the Farmington area, as a whole, and many parks. I want to bring this up because no one seems to have mentioned it in the forums previously, and it might be valuable for new residents to know.

There are a lot of companies hiring out here! A lot of it is IT work. Great news, huh? I see a lot of cars from out of state driving around in the past couple of weeks, and I hope they are new-comers!

So sorry to hear of your dad's situation. I hope they plant something to block the new builds. There are new grocery stores going in soon, but it's nice to deal with people who are familiar and friendly. His property sounds beautiful.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-08-2013, 08:52 AM

30,708 posts, read 79,793,239 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DTWflyer View Post
New Hudson, or at the very least the corner of Grand River & Milford Rd. is a carry-over from a prior century. Grand River Ave was the main link from Detroit to Lansing pre-dating I-96 and even really pre-dating the automobile.

The rest of the township was nothing until about the 1990s.
The New Hudson inn was once a stop on the stage coach route. Now it is a good place to get into a fight.

Funny, from my viewpoint the township was really nice until about the 1990s. Now, there are still some parts that are pleasant, but much of it got McMansioned. Does anyone really prefer forests of McMansions to forests of trees and ponds and fields and the like? If Lyon Twp. was like it was before 1990, I would seriously consider living there. However given what it has become and is continuing to become, I would think seriously about the location first, or make sure I had 50-100 acres around me.

New Hudson suffered quite a bit when they built Wallmart complex not the Canfield farm. However New Hudson was never much of a town, just a crossroads really. Too much traffic on the main streets and the houses are very small. There are some really neat areas just outside the crossroads as you get back away from Grand River, Pontiac Trail and Milford Road.

The did make a really cool park out of the dump. Notwithstanding you are on a giant pile of trash, it is a neat park and the views are fantastic.

Old 02-08-2013, 08:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgkeith View Post
Heritage Park in Farmington Hills is on Farmington Rd., south of 11mi. It's large; 111 acres and so much to do and see! There is so much natural beauty in the Farmington area, as a whole, and many parks. I want to bring this up because no one seems to have mentioned it in the forums previously, and it might be valuable for new residents to know.

There are a lot of companies hiring out here! A lot of it is IT work. Great news, huh? I see a lot of cars from out of state driving around in the past couple of weeks, and I hope they are new-comers!

So sorry to hear of your dad's situation. I hope they plant something to block the new builds. There are new grocery stores going in soon, but it's nice to deal with people who are familiar and friendly. His property sounds beautiful.

I have never seen it, or more likely I saw it and did not really notice. Heritage Park in Taylor is also really neat (but Taylor is not so great). They moved their historic buildings into on place and made it a park. Then they put in some trails, ponds and the like. The library is there too. It is a neat place. Is Farmington's Heritage park similar?

It is a shame. They tore down my fort to put up a sewage processing facility for the big subdivision. Part of the woods remains (a few hundred acres), but you see the McMansions through the trees in the winter. It is a particularly hideous development. At least the golf course is not ugly and the Golf Course was built mostly in a cow pasture, so they did not take out much of the forest for the golf course, mostly for the homes. I wonder if they named it "Forest Estates" after they cut down the forests to build houses on big flat open lots?

Old 02-08-2013, 12:07 PM

I`ll post separate info info on Farmington's Heritage park, but just an overview...it's much larger, more playgrounds and three or four nature trails, as well as a Nature Center and cool old house with amazing gardens that now sponsors meetings. There is a new Splash Pad which is a riot for young and not so young families! There is an amphitheater for concerts and a wonderful day camp compound-- which introduced this new Michigander to this beautiful park. We have used it well! My mistake, it is larger than I originally described; 211 acres.

Shiawassee Park is smaller but amazingly beautiful, with an awesome play structure and sports field. There is a river, ducks, trees, abundant natural beauty! It's just off of Shiawassee Rd. near Farmington Rd.

Across the street is the best sledding hill ever. It is huge and well known around here, sometimes shown on TV--like it was today, on the grounds of the Farmington Public Schools main building. Also very well maintained.

Regarding the new subdivisions in S. Lyon; I certainly sympathize with your sadness about the changes, Coldjensens. It's gotta be painful when you have grown up in a lovely rural community, and then the developers come....

Old 02-09-2013, 06:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgkeith View Post

Regarding the new subdivisions in S. Lyon; I certainly sympathize with your sadness about the changes, Coldjensens. It's gotta be painful when you have grown up in a lovely rural community, and then the developers come....

It woudl not be so bad if they did not level everything and build the houses shoulder to shoulder and all essentially the same (and ugly with no real character). I have never understood why high end home buyers woudl go for something like that.

I have seen one subdivision where the developed nestled the pads in the trees, created a community layout and required house design with some architectural merit. If is in Beaufort South Carolina called New point. It is really expensive for Beaufort., but not a lot of for sale/vacancy. Apparently people do actually have good taste, prefer something decent, and will pay for it. Developers just don't get that.

Old 02-09-2013, 11:37 AM

Default expensive new subdivisions

[quote=Coldjensens;28164010]It woudl not be so bad if they did not level everything and build the houses shoulder to shoulder and all essentially the same (and ugly with no real character). I have never understood why high end home buyers woudl go for something like that.

My husband and I did notice this about the new subdivisions, and we are puzzled. To us, where you live isn't just about the house itself, it's about the surroundings and how they make you feel. I would take a smaller (older) home in an area that looked beautiful to me over a huge place in an unattractive subdivision any day. I realize that other people may have different priorities, and it depends on where you are in your life, too.

Old 11-07-2016, 07:00 AM

3 posts, read 2,193 times
Default $500k houses in Novi is it worth?

All the new houses in Novi are more than $500K and few more starting next year which starts at 600K, are the houses being over priced? will the market retain its price?

Old 11-07-2016, 07:31 AM

2,210 posts, read 3,495,176 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnvk1234 View Post
All the new houses in Novi are more than $500K and few more starting next year which starts at 600K, are the houses being over priced? will the market retain its price?
Supply and demand. There are far more people who want new builds in Novi than there is space to build it on.

Old 11-07-2016, 08:02 AM

3 posts, read 2,193 times
Any comments on the new subdivision that is being build by Pulte group at Grandriver and wixom they are saying around 500k?

Old 11-07-2016, 08:17 AM

2,210 posts, read 3,495,176 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnvk1234 View Post
Any comments on the new subdivision that is being build by Pulte group at Grandriver and wixom they are saying around 500k?
I'm not familiar with it. Depending on the size, 500K is actually pretty good value for a new build in Novi.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Detroit