Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Detroit
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-14-2016, 03:42 PM

6 posts, read 6,378 times

Advertisements

Hello! My family and I are moving to Michigan in the next month or so. My SO will be working for a remodeling company and I hope to find a teaching job.

My question is what is the best "neighborhood" or community for a young family with progessive views. I.e. we like to shop and eat local, recycle, all things green. I also prefer a diverse neighborhood with ethnic food, grocery stores and bakeries.

We are looking to rent short term before purchasing a home. I have looked at Novi (good schools) as well as Walled Lake. It's just hard to get a sense of the community with only staying in a hotel in Novi for a short visit.

Any and all suggestions welcome! Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-14-2016, 03:59 PM

1,786 posts, read 2,667,209 times
Royal Oak, Berkley or Clawson (they're all right by each other). I say this because you sound like me, that's where I live, and I absolutely love it here. Ferndale would also fit the bill, as would Midtown, if you're not against living in Detroit proper - though you mentioned schools. Detroit Public Schools are a pretty big barrier for keeping any professional family out of the city. Ferndale also has meh schools. Royal Oak, Berkley and Clawson ones are good though. Typically in the 7-9 range on Great Schools.

Old 02-14-2016, 05:25 PM

6 posts, read 6,378 times
Thanks for the suggestions! I forgot to mention, walkability would be great too. Is this something that I could find in a particular neighborhood? Thanks!

Old 02-14-2016, 05:43 PM

1,786 posts, read 2,667,209 times
Hmm, Downtown Royal Oak, Downtown Berkley or Downtown Clawson? All 3 have quaint walkable downtown districts, Royal Oak is certainly the largest of the three. Plymouth and Rochester also have quaint walkable downtown areas.

Old 02-14-2016, 08:11 PM

3,671 posts, read 5,886,018 times
Dps is terrible, don't know about the rest. But if schools weren't a factor, for walkable and diverse I would suggest downtown, midtown, corktown, some of the east riverfront neighborhoods, Hamtramck, Ann Arbor, Dearborn, some areas of southwest Detroit, Ferndale, and Royal Oak.

Old 02-14-2016, 08:17 PM

1,996 posts, read 3,159,952 times
Ann Arbor or Ypsilanti, if your job location is on the western side of the metro area. Ypsilanti schools are not that great, but Ann Arbor's are fantastic.

Maybe the city of Farmington would work for you if you can find a place within walking distance to (the tiny) downtown Farmington. Farmington and neighboring West Bloomfield have a good bit of diversity with African-Americans, Jews, Asians (Pacific Islanders and Indians), and Chaldeans (Middle-Eastern people of Catholic tradition) but for the most part Farmington/Farmington Hills and West Bloomfield is mass-produced, unwalkable suburbia.

Novi is not as diverse as Farmington, but the schools are top-notch. Walkability is nil.

Ferndale seems progressive, but is not very diverse. The schools are not top-of-the-line, but are improving a little because some of the hipster families are deciding to stay in Ferndale and make the public schools work for them.

So after confusing you with all of these random cities and suburbs, my conclusion would be to try to get into Ann Arbor, or a good part of Ypsilanti. It is very expensive to live (relative to the state of Michigan), but it checks off all of your wants - diverse, progressive, walkability, great schools.

Old 02-15-2016, 04:56 AM

2,222 posts, read 2,248,808 times
Add me to the Ann Arbor list. On the southeast side rent is relatively affordable and their are numerous ethnic food stores along Packard Road. Schools are good for the most part but there are a couple elementary schools and a middle school that score miserably on state standardized measurements. Unfortunately those schools are on the southeast side. Overall the city is very liberal. Numerous parks and as far as all things "green" you would be hard pressed to find a place "greener" in Michigan.

If you have school age kids and worry at all about the neighborhood public schools they might go to here is a link to state rankings. I realize these scores can be controversial but they can be a small window as well.

http://www.michigan.gov/documents/md...s_465183_7.pdf

Old 02-15-2016, 05:43 AM

1,648 posts, read 3,272,749 times
Grosse Pointe Park has all of that plus running along Lake St. Clair (Lake Huron). All of the Grosse Pointe's in fact.

Ferndale would be the second option, followed by Royal Oak, Midtown/Downtown Detroit or Wyandotte.

Old 02-15-2016, 09:54 AM

944 posts, read 1,210,207 times
Ypsilanti is affordable even relative to the metro area as a whole in its nicer parts, but schools are a concern. Ann Arbor would be perfect for you. I'd also suggest Ferndale/RO/Clawson if those two are too far out for you.

Old 02-15-2016, 02:04 PM

915 posts, read 1,504,984 times
Ann Arbor.

I hope that you've been warned that there are a lot more teachers than there are teaching jobs in Michigan.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Detroit