Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Detroit
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-07-2012, 09:09 PM

1 posts, read 2,470 times

Advertisements

I will be graduating very soon with a bachelors degree and I may have a job lined up in Redford Township right off 96. Question I have is where to live?!?! I will want to rent and prefer to be in a nice area and close to the excitement. I really hope to hear some feedback in where I should focus on. Thanks!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-08-2012, 09:27 AM

809 posts, read 2,409,657 times
Downtown seems to be where the action is.

Old 04-08-2012, 12:39 PM

Location: Detroit's eastside, downtown Detroit in near future!
2,053 posts, read 4,393,656 times
whatever you do, I wouldn't suggest Redford

Old 04-08-2012, 12:44 PM

3,671 posts, read 5,886,018 times
I agree with DetroitLove. If your looking for excitement, redford is not the first thing that comes to mind. I would suggest the Downtown or Midtown area or somewhere in the greater downtown area.

Old 04-08-2012, 08:01 PM

1,497 posts, read 3,490,369 times
Downtown is an excellent choice. Dearborn may also be a desirable option, though, it is not as exciting as downtown/Midtown Detroit.

Old 04-09-2012, 06:03 AM

1,648 posts, read 3,272,749 times
Downtown Detroit is largely viewed as "scary" or a "third-world country" by people born prior to 1976. Since you don't fall into that age range - you'll find most people under 30 actually enjoy living in Downtown/Midtown (and it's only 15-20 minutes reverse commute) - especially given your desire to live close to the excitement. Royal Oak or Ferndale are the other two options. Plymouth is favored by the same crowd that was born prior to 1976 for its plethora of vanilla extract type living.

Old 04-09-2012, 07:07 AM

This place was one of my favorite's downtown. Look at the rooftop amenities - with attached/covered parking garage. Detroit City Apartments | Apartments in Detroit MI For Rent | Rentals

Old 04-09-2012, 10:11 AM

1,900 posts, read 5,905,247 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by belleislerunner View Post
Downtown Detroit is largely viewed as "scary" or a "third-world country" by people born prior to 1976. Since you don't fall into that age range - you'll find most people under 30 actually enjoy living in Downtown/Midtown (and it's only 15-20 minutes reverse commute) - especially given your desire to live close to the excitement. Royal Oak or Ferndale are the other two options. Plymouth is favored by the same crowd that was born prior to 1976 for its plethora of vanilla extract type living.

I was born in 1978 and consider at least a third of Detroit Third World. I grew up in north Warren, however, which was one of the most prejudiced places in the United States, and may still be. I never liked nightlife much, either. The "vanilla extract" comment about Plymouth may be a bit true. Northville (a few miles north of Plymouth) is quite similar. Very nice, maybe a bit of nightlife, but it's more "Biff and Muffy" than Royal Oak or Ferndale, which are more something but I can't think of the word for it. (pause) Okay. Here. Northville and Plymouth are more quaint. (A lot has been said on this board over the years about downtown Rochester; N and P are the westside equivalent, but the wealth is slightly less obvious.) Wally and Beaver Cleaver might be seen downtown in any of those three. In RO or Ferndale, their modern, hip equivalents will be seen. I really like RO in small quantities, but I'm too square to spend a lot of time there. RO and F have nightclubs with loud music and bars with lots of twenty-somethings home on the weekend (either from Chicago, where our young talent often flees, or from UM or MSU) drinking.

If you want action, I'm going to say something around downtown (but there is a city income tax and also depends on your tolerance for urban blight) or RO/F. The commute will be iffy but not impossible. Eight Mile moves pretty well as long as there are no trains crossing it, but that's more of an east side concern.

Old 04-09-2012, 12:37 PM

You're splitting hairs. Just because there's crime in a city doesn't mean no one wants to live there. Everyone knows the Detroit crime statistics - but young people still choose to live there because the excitement/urban density/life experiences are greater than anything one could get at 12 Mile and Novi Rd. Crime is one data point to consider - but clearly it's not the only one. News check... there is a 100% probability you too will die...regardless of locale...

Old 04-09-2012, 12:44 PM

2,210 posts, read 3,495,176 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by belleislerunner View Post
You're splitting hairs. Just because there's crime in a city doesn't mean no one wants to live there. Everyone knows the Detroit crime statistics - but young people still choose to live there because the excitement/urban density/life experiences are greater than anything one could get at 12 Mile and Novi Rd. Crime is one data point to consider - but clearly it's not the only one. News check... there is a 100% probability you too will die...regardless of locale...
I don't disagree, and that's why I told the young man/woman to look at these areas him/herself. But I also think there's a tendency by people in this area to whitewash the crime and blight in Detroit and say "Oh, it's really not that bad." Yeah, it's pretty bad when compared to the rest of the country. And someone who isn't from this area should be aware of that when evaluating a place to live.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Detroit