Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Detroit
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-22-2006, 07:37 PM

1 posts, read 3,554 times

Advertisements

Me and My husband are prolly going to end up moving to Michigan , he is working on getting a job in the dearborn area.. I have been looking at houses in both the detroit and dearborn and garden city area... after reading this , Im no longer looking for a house in the detriot area.. lol .. but if anyone could give me some info about Garden city or dearborn/dearborn heights that would be great
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-24-2006, 07:52 PM

1 posts, read 3,551 times
Default Do you have any kids?

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyaWilliams121205 View Post
Me and My husband are prolly going to end up moving to Michigan , he is working on getting a job in the dearborn area.. I have been looking at houses in both the detroit and dearborn and garden city area... after reading this , Im no longer looking for a house in the detriot area.. lol .. but if anyone could give me some info about Garden city or dearborn/dearborn heights that would be great
Garden City may be your first choice. Affordable house and close to highway. A small city good for people just move to Metro Detroit. Real Estate agent call those city "entry city", not the best, not the worse either. Not a great school district but it is ok. Most of the houses in Michigan are affordable anyway, compare to the house in Toronto, ON.
I will suggest you to find an apartment first before you buy a house:

1. No one know what exactly you want beside yourself.
2. You won't be able to find the best house in short time.
3. You won't be able to get the best deal in the market.

I moved to Metro Detroit 15 years ago. I really enjoy my life here.

Old 12-09-2006, 11:34 PM

19 posts, read 80,580 times
Do as others do and move to Windsor and just commute across the bridge everyday.
If you must live in the US, go to the north or west side of town. As far as I have researched there is not, except for one, good supermarket in the city.
Really, where do the well to do people who live downtown do there grocery shopping??

Old 12-09-2006, 11:38 PM

4,494 posts, read 7,479,293 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by manoswath View Post
If you must live in the US, go to the north or west side of town. As far as I have researched there is not, except for one, good supermarket in the city.
Really, where do the well to do people who live downtown do there grocery shopping??
Eastern Market would be my guess?!....

Old 12-09-2006, 11:43 PM

Tonya, look at Woodhaven. Many Ford employees enjoy a short ride home to the south, from Dearborn. But the downtown Dearborn area, west of the Southfield freeway, is nice. My sister has lived in southern Dearborn Hgts. for a long time, it's ok.

Old 12-12-2006, 10:28 PM

8 posts, read 68,942 times
Quote:
Do as others do and move to Windsor and just commute across the bridge everyday.

Usually I shop at The Honeybee Market on Bagley near Mexicantown. They have a great selection, fresh food, and a friendly staff. Farmer Jack on Jefferson is your typical chain supermarket, but they have everything you need.

The best shopping is on Saturday Morning in eastern marker. Fresh veggies, meat, food, cheese and wine. It is a huge street fair full of foods and people. It is great to bring home fresh flowers in the summer, and you can buy all sorts of plants.

Surprisingly the shopping options are not as bad as some people might think.

Chris

Old 12-17-2006, 06:58 AM

4,494 posts, read 7,479,293 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by c1schnei View Post
... Mexicantown.....
Dang, i'm hungry....thinking about Los Galanes (pollo con napolitos)...best mexican restaraunt in Mexicantown by far!!

Old 12-20-2006, 06:20 PM

I need TP, a couple cans of dog food, a gallon of milk, and a couple of apples. I had to work late and it's almost 9p. Eastern market? My point is, Detroit has what 900,000 and two Farmer Jacks. Is there ANY other "Chain" markets in the city? I don't know. I live in Taylor, a 70,000 pop. burb. I have, within my city limits, 2 Farmer Jacks, 1 Meijer, 1 Kroger, 1 K-Mart Super and a Spartan. And to mention the other 6 or 8 within 5 miles. I had read an article about the lack of the "Chain Supermarkets" within the city limits and it's connection to poor health and being a possible problem attracting new resident's.

Old 12-21-2006, 01:10 AM

8 posts, read 68,942 times
Quote:
I need TP, a couple cans of dog food, a gallon of milk, and a couple of apples. I had to work late and it's almost 9p. Eastern market? My point is, Detroit has what 900,000 and two Farmer Jacks. Is there ANY other "Chain" markets in the city? I don't know. I live in Taylor, a 70,000 pop. burb. I have, within my city limits, 2 Farmer Jacks, 1 Meijer, 1 Kroger, 1 K-Mart Super and a Spartan. And to mention the other 6 or 8 within 5 miles. I had read an article about the lack of the "Chain Supermarkets" within the city limits and it's connection to poor health and being a possible problem attracting new resident's.
There are not a ton of options, tis true. But you can get what you need. Word on the street is that there will be a new supermarket downtown in the next couple of years.

Old 02-01-2007, 04:51 PM

4 posts, read 13,913 times
Default Moving to Detroit

Detroit may be the best housing bargain in AMerica. Move to a good suburb with good schools and good police and you'll be fine. Pretty soon the houses may be cheaper than Hummers!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Detroit