Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Detroit
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-19-2012, 01:59 PM

3 posts, read 7,201 times

Advertisements

We are a couple in our twenties contemplating a move to Farmington Hills, and we are looking for confirmation that this area will be a good fit for us.

We have no children currently, but we plan to have them so schools are a consideration. We want a suburban atmosphere. We tend to stay home most of the time. We don't care about nightlife, don't drink, and the singles scene is irrelevant--but we do like to go out to eat and see movies. It would be nice to meet other young couples, but I'm not sure how many there are like us in the area or where we'd find them. 10-15 minute drives to things we would like would not be unbearable.

It was the proximity to work, the attractive subdivisions, and the schools that caught our eye, and it seems like it'd be a good fit for a quiet young couple. But do I have the right read on the area? Will we fit in here? Is there anything else we should think about?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-19-2012, 03:40 PM

30,702 posts, read 79,395,586 times
It seems like you could be happy staying at home pretty much anywhere as long as you like the home. F.H. is decent. Schools are decent. there is more than one distrcit that covers parts of FH. Housing stock is decent. There is an ok little downtown to farmington. You are close to Nvi where there are plenty of movie theaters. SOunds like a good match for you.

Old 04-20-2012, 04:30 PM

39 posts, read 107,797 times
my sister whos 21 has lived there for 2 months and she loves it.

Old 04-20-2012, 05:10 PM

A lot of posts lately from people considering Farmington Hills and I keep forgetting the best feature of Farmington hills. Marvins Marvelous Mechanical Museum (look it up). That is a good reason to live in FH all by itself.

Old 04-20-2012, 09:51 PM

2,076 posts, read 3,646,011 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldjensens View Post
A lot of posts lately from people considering Farmington Hills and I keep forgetting the best feature of Farmington hills. Marvins Marvelous Mechanical Museum (look it up). That is a good reason to live in FH all by itself.
lol what's up with this website and museums? They never interested me or the people I know. I actually have only been in 1 museum. That was the louvre in paris. I thought might as well as see the best and paid to get through the door. And man it was huge but I only stayed 2 hours and that was too much time for me (i just glanced at everything lol). Paintings, various set ups never really interested. I prefer interacting with people not dead stuff

So how many people reading cd detroit actually like museums. Honest opinions here.

Old 04-21-2012, 09:44 PM

348 posts, read 635,468 times
I like museums. My favorite isn't the Louvre,
but the "Musee des Arts Decoratifs".

You know, fine design
and quality "objets d'arts" kinda stuff.

Old 04-22-2012, 09:36 PM

3 posts, read 7,201 times
I love museums. Ive seen that Marvin's place, but I've never been inside. Seems like an odd spot for a museum!

We drove around exploring the area this weekend and it seems like a nice place that we'd enjoy, from what I can tell just by driving through. I just hope the people will be nice and that we'll find a way to connect with the community! It's hard to get a feel for that kind of thing before you move.

Old 04-23-2012, 01:18 AM

4,647 posts, read 8,549,177 times
I remember going to that museum a few times. Always gave me the creeps.

As far as museum going in general, I've gone to the Detroit Historical Museum, the African American Museum, Motown Museum, Henry Ford Village (mostly as school field trips), Selfridge Airbase Museum, and almost went to the Cranbrook Museum but I just wandered around the gardens instead.

I've been wanting to go to the Arab American Museum and the Holocaust Memorial place as of lately but I keep getting too busy on weekends to be able to go. There's also some historical museums I'd like to check out in Birmingham, Troy, and Royal Oak.

Just now realizing it, but metro Detroit is pretty well-cultured with some good history. None of it may be as spectacular or as big as the Louvre, but you can't say that there's nothing to do here.

Old 04-23-2012, 08:44 AM

Mavins is not really a museum. It is more like a historical chuck e cheese. They serve bad pizza and have all kinds of arcade games and an unusual decor just like Chuky. However over half the games are antique arcade games and vintage pinball. The decor is a combination of old movie posters and objects, macabre items and oddball toys and models. It is an eceltetic crazy place and most people find it fun. It is not a museum where you wal karound and look at stuff, but where you play with it. You can even get cupons for cheesy prizes just like Chucky's place. Although some of the macabre machines are disturbing to some people, it is no worse than having a giant rat bouncing around you while you are trying to eat bad pizza.

Old 04-23-2012, 09:34 AM

21,088 posts, read 29,063,673 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PosterExtraordinaire View Post
lol what's up with this website and museums?

So how many people reading cd detroit actually like museums. Honest opinions here.

Wife and I love going to the DIA (Fridays particularly) Detroit Historical Museum, Science Museum and the Charles Wriight.

I would spend 3-4 days a week at the Greenfield Village during the summer when I had their annual pass.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Detroit