Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Detroit
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-29-2012, 10:36 PM

9,376 posts, read 11,941,545 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by PosterExtraordinaire View Post
What does a few more breaths mean in the face of eternity? You got some things to do on this earth, i did them. now let anyone who wants to kill. tbh, it doesn't scare me. i'll defend myself but it happens it is what it is. I defend myself for my kids and for my dignity than I do the worth of my own life.

we can all live wherever we want. I lived in many spots around the usa and the world. it's not that hard, you want to make it happen you can. what you sacrifice is your qol maybe. You won't got that good of a job, your friend base, your family whatever but you'll have the location. what i find out is that it;s the PEOPLE that make the place not the place.

As to jobs, inspiring man but I don't think he's seen more than me. He's eaten at fancier places and slept in nicer beds, he's seen more countries, but I've seen more up and down of human life than i think he has. when i'm down and about to punch out, it's only the memories you make that define how long all this short ****ing around really is.

A few more breaths in the face of eternity matters much more to a 21 yo than a 75 year old. Also matters more when those breaths are stolen from you from a senseless crime.

Not everyone feels their life is worth so little, hence the reason they seek to live a better qol. You can't knock them for that.

Your quote, "the PEOPLE that make the place not the place" is my total point. That says nothing for the defense of Detroit. It is why people leave. Because PEOPLE have ruined it, not the place. The place is why there are still people who fight for it.

Just because Jobs chose to do what he did and go where he wanted to, does not make him any less of a person than you or anyone else. Maybe he was happy not seeing or living in the up and down of human life. Not everyone wants that for themselves nor do they find something that defines them. Who knows, maybe he wasn't happy, but that doesn't matter. He apparently loved his career choice and his family. Those things mattered to him. To each their own.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-30-2012, 01:16 AM

3,671 posts, read 5,883,465 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 313Weather View Post
That's just outright false, I'm not sure why you keep stating that, it's blatantly false.

Per capita, Altanta is safer than Detroit. For example, as of 2010, they only had 18 homicides per capita, while Detroit had homicides per capita somwhere in the 40s.

Furthermore, while it used to be one of the top 5 dangerous cities, it has fallen now to 31st place.

Personal property theft crime is about the only type of crime that Atlanta has at a higher rate than Detroit, but that's the LOWeST ranking of all crimes on the scale.
This is why I keep stating that.
For example, as of 2011 I read some of these articles on the internet.
Atlanta at No. 2 Among Most Dangerous US Cities | 11alive.com
2. Atlanta: The 11 Most Dangerous U.S. Cities - US News & World Report

Old 05-30-2012, 07:55 AM

7,237 posts, read 12,737,180 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarvinStrong313 View Post
This is why I keep stating that.
For example, as of 2011 I read some of these articles on the internet.
Atlanta at No. 2 Among Most Dangerous US Cities | 11alive.com
2. Atlanta: The 11 Most Dangerous U.S. Cities - US News & World Report
Did you read why Atlanta was rated so highly?

Quote:
Crime Risk Index: 484
Atlanta’s crime risk is nearly five times the national average. The Big Peach poses more of a threat to property than to people; in 2009, violent crime rates in Atlanta were only slightly higher than the national figure. But property crimes were markedly higher, with motor vehicle theft 55 percent greater than the national rate and burglary 38 percent greater.
Atlanta's problem is property crimes.

Detroit's problem is violent crimes (not to say proprty crimes are anything to sneeze at).

That's what I said before (which ironically was the part of my post you didn't bold/underline).

While property crimes are bad, overall based on the FBI's measures it ranks much lower on the scale than violent crimes.

Old 05-30-2012, 01:11 PM

3,671 posts, read 5,883,465 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 313Weather View Post
Did you read why Atlanta was rated so highly?

Atlanta's problem is property crimes.

Detroit's problem is violent crimes (not to say proprty crimes are anything to sneeze at).

That's what I said before (which ironically was the part of my post you didn't bold/underline).

While property crimes are bad, overall based on the FBI's measures it ranks much lower on the scale than violent crimes.
Well that is why I said "crimes" I wasn't talking about a specific type of crime I meant crime overall. But I do see your point.

Old 05-30-2012, 02:56 PM

2,076 posts, read 3,660,272 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kimba01 View Post
A few more breaths in the face of eternity matters much more to a 21 yo than a 75 year old. Also matters more when those breaths are stolen from you from a senseless crime.

Not everyone feels their life is worth so little, hence the reason they seek to live a better qol. You can't knock them for that.

Your quote, "the PEOPLE that make the place not the place" is my total point. That says nothing for the defense of Detroit. It is why people leave. Because PEOPLE have ruined it, not the place. The place is why there are still people who fight for it.

Just because Jobs chose to do what he did and go where he wanted to, does not make him any less of a person than you or anyone else. Maybe he was happy not seeing or living in the up and down of human life. Not everyone wants that for themselves nor do they find something that defines them. Who knows, maybe he wasn't happy, but that doesn't matter. He apparently loved his career choice and his family. Those things mattered to him. To each their own.
A 21 yo probably didn't get to do what he was put on this earth to do. it has nothing with how many breaths he has taken or yet to take.

I like the people in detroit, you might not but I do. The people make this city what it's for me. The weather sucks and I'll probably move again by the time winter comes. This time to south carolina or georgia. But you know what, everyone has been cool to me. That isn't always the case.

In the end it's only the family and the memories that count. I'm sure jobs is happy. He left behind an money empire but all that money matters him to no more but you live through your family. Your kids are the bits of you the world has left. On your deathbed that's all you have and the memories and seeing more of everyside of human kind makes for some more interesting memories.

Old 05-31-2012, 07:32 AM

Quote:
no it ain't, which was point. the # of years whether 20 or 40 will feel just as short when you're breathing that last breath. The number of dollars in your pocket or not doesn't mean too much in the grand scheme of things. whose to say jobs went to his death happier than some common man?
Quote:
A 21 yo probably didn't get to do what he was put on this earth to do. it has nothing with how many breaths he has taken or yet to take.

I like the people in detroit, you might not but I do. The people make this city what it's for me. The weather sucks and I'll probably move again by the time winter comes. This time to south carolina or georgia. But you know what, everyone has been cool to me. That isn't always the case.

In the end it's only the family and the memories that count. I'm sure jobs is happy. He left behind an money empire but all that money matters him to no more but you live through your family. Your kids are the bits of you the world has left. On your deathbed that's all you have and the memories and seeing more of everyside of human kind makes for some more interesting memories.
You are twisting things a bit here. You are right in that the 21 yo didn't get to do what he was put here to do or what he even wanted to do, yet an older person may have. (as you said you have) So, you may now think those last breaths are nothing....a 21 yo would think differently. So this could change the direction they take as far as searching crime statistics. That's all.

It is not about me liking the people in Detroit or not. Or any other city for that matter. I don't dislike anyone, I dislike hatred, crimes, drugs, laziness... It is about the lifestyle. I was referring to the social aspects. They way people choose to live. I'm saying that people, regardless of income level or past history, can keep things clean, do not have to kill or rape, they can be friendly...it is a choice.

Old 07-24-2012, 07:52 PM

3 posts, read 10,764 times
well if you want to move to South Carolina or Georgia..move to the southern part of South Carolina..I have lived just south of Charlotte for a while now...and there is not a lot of work here..unless you do press operating or manufacturing..if your experience is recent..you will find a job..if not..the southern part of the state, down around Columbia or Charleston is better for finding work..

Old 07-28-2012, 08:34 PM

12 posts, read 18,477 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by danielj72 View Post
I have been to most major American cities. Ive seen really nice cities like Nashville, Atlanta or Boston, some are just so-so and some are kinda run down. Detroit is in a category all on its own. It is so bad that nothing in North America can really compare. No where will you find as much abandonment, even abandoned sky scrapers at the heart of the city. The crime rates are beyond anything most people could even imagine. The city goverment and police are almost organized crime. In short its the third world in the middle of North America. The only bright spot in Detroit is that you can drive a short distance and enter some of the nicest suburbs in the country. Ironically Detroits suburbs are really very nice, but Detroits dead last ranking does not take them into account. Detroit proper is dead last for good reason. Anyone who has seen it knows this is true. Anyone who has seen it and says "naaa its not that bad, your just a Detroit basher" is not living in reality. Its that bad folks, really.
Unfortunately, I wholeheartedly agree with you. I took my blinders off.

Old 07-29-2012, 11:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by danielj72 View Post
I have been to most major American cities. Ive seen really nice cities like Nashville, Atlanta or Boston, some are just so-so and some are kinda run down. Detroit is in a category all on its own. It is so bad that nothing in North America can really compare. No where will you find as much abandonment, even abandoned sky scrapers at the heart of the city. The crime rates are beyond anything most people could even imagine. The city goverment and police are almost organized crime. In short its the third world in the middle of North America. The only bright spot in Detroit is that you can drive a short distance and enter some of the nicest suburbs in the country. Ironically Detroits suburbs are really very nice, but Detroits dead last ranking does not take them into account. Detroit proper is dead last for good reason. Anyone who has seen it knows this is true. Anyone who has seen it and says "naaa its not that bad, your just a Detroit basher" is not living in reality. Its that bad folks, really.
And it is accepted. Gov't has basically given up on the place. It's almost as if they sigh and say, "if ya can't beat 'em, join 'em."

Old 07-29-2012, 11:57 AM

1,976 posts, read 2,351,951 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Retroit View Post
You can reinvent the government and start all kinds of programs, but the bottom line is this: If the people are good, the city is good; and if the people are bad, the city is bad. As long as we have people killing each other and trashing the place, no amount of fancy civic planning is going to change things.

Unfortunately, the social aspect has been a taboo topic because it requires one to face disparity among races, which leads to accusations of racism. A few courageous people have attempted to prompt a cultural change within the city, such as the police chief Godbey (sp?), but it doesn't seem to be catching on.

And I don't want to imply that this is solely a black problem, as many white people are problematic and many blacks are outstanding citizens. But let's be real. When you look at the rate of children being born out of wedlock, to young mothers, without fathers, with criminal parents, with no family, with no respect for laws, with no faith, with no community, etc., it's no surprise that many of them repeat the pattern in adulthood.

When Detroiters (and many other parts of America and the world) are willing to address the social issues, then the places where they live will become better.
I'm from Windsor ON orginally and have been to Detroit many times over the years. Detroit was and is a great city, but was abandoned by US politicians and until the US gets it together and takes care of its citizens, there will be social problems, as you note. Maybe in Obama's second term, he will step in again to assist Detroit. It continues to amaze me that a country like Denmark or the Netherlands can get it together and the US has so many rich, powerful and selfish people who just don't care. It's disgraceful.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Detroit