Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Detroit
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-25-2012, 03:32 PM

5,739 posts, read 6,931,116 times

Advertisements

Government oversees "the commons" after we define what they are - what we all use or benefit from. This is open to argument, but we have collectively decided that police, fire, roads, are part of the commons. Some are now saying health care.
Regulated businesses provide goods and services in a competitive environment and are not allowed to become monopolies (which obviously is anti- competition) and govt is the only entity that can police that, but it must act on our behalf. That's what the "hated regulation" by some is all about - they think that deregulation will somehow not lead to monopolies.
Can govt be corrupted? Sure when voters stop paying attention, especially difficult when things are done in secrecy "behind the walls", "under the radar" or whatever analogy you can think of - similar to what we have now. An apathetic public can allow this. "Going shopping" or working 3 jobs can take people's minds off of govt. Govt should be open but can become closed - a constant danger.
I don't see a good balance with Libertarianism. Where would this regulation come from? Hope we're not drifting too far, but I'm trying to connect it to Detroit.

Last edited by detwahDJ; 04-25-2012 at 04:37 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-31-2012, 05:59 PM

9 posts, read 13,500 times
I side with freedom as does forstarters and I too am feeling drawn to Detroit as sort of an experiment in how to build a city back up after communism. But whenever I talk to people who are from Detroit, it amazes me how ignorant they are about economics. They still are buying into the union bosses sales pitch instead of listening to one of the great ones who actually built Detroit in the first place. Yes the great Henry Ford. Read his book please. It will educate you on what freedom is.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Detroit
View detailed profiles of: