Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Detroit
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-02-2012, 07:51 AM

850 posts, read 1,898,246 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by detwahDJ View Post
Any normal, forward-thinking person would agree - welcome to the Detroit forums.
I think it's good for our universities to contribute to the region and get involved in the city's technological future - but as you see, others don't think so.
The "vertical agriculture" (multi-story farms), cited in this article and in a previous thread, may be the wave of the future.
I know how it is around here....which is why I don't visit often:}
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-02-2012, 07:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldjensens View Post
Because they see it as someone else's plan being foisted on them by outsiders.

It appears that some people would rather fail on their own than succeed with help.
They do? I'm sorry, did you talk to someone? Or just make a really negative assumption? From what I saw on PBS, it was welcomed. Imagine that, a black man growing a garden and selling stuff at the Eastern Market.... try to delete all the brainwashing, it doesn't do anyone any good. And even if that was true, rather than focusing on that you could focus on the guy who doesn't think that way.

Old 05-02-2012, 08:24 AM

30,708 posts, read 79,793,239 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tjay View Post
They do? I'm sorry, did you talk to someone? Or just make a really negative assumption? From what I saw on PBS, it was welcomed. Imagine that, a black man growing a garden and selling stuff at the Eastern Market.... try to delete all the brainwashing, it doesn't do anyone any good. And even if that was true, rather than focusing on that you could focus on the guy who doesn't think that way.

Go back and read the article. We are not discussing something you saw on PBS. We are discussing an article in the Detroit Free Press. The article is somehting that you have to read to understand the discussion in this thread, you cannot see it on TV and it makes no sense to arrtibute a post about this particular article to a discussion about some unrealted TV show. I do not even know what subject you saw discussed on PBS. What the article discusses is the fact that various local Detroit groups and persons are opposing the idea. What we are discussing is not the urban gardening concept in general, we are discussing a Michigan State program to develop a large urban gardening facility in Detroit. That is not a black man growing stuff and selling it at Eastern Market. That is a University from outside the city coming in and developing large scale agricultral facilities. That is exactly why people are opposing the idea, precisely because it is NOT a black man growing a garden and selling stuff, but it is outsiders (potentially mostly white people) growing tons of stuff and taking up land in the City (and maybe buildings as well since they want to study vertical ag. concepts).

My point is that Detroit needs to stop worrying about skin color. Get over the "This is our city, stay out" mentality. Stop worrying about where potential business or development comes from and focus on getting help for the failing city. THey should be looking at whether this program is good or bad for the City, not who is behind it, or how many of the people involved will have Black or White skin. That is foolish.

Old 05-02-2012, 08:28 AM

21,096 posts, read 19,703,590 times
Quote:
Go back and read the article. We are not discussing PBS and I do not even know what subject you saw discussed on PBS. What the article discusses is the fact that various local groups and persons are opposing the idea. What we are discussing is not the urban gardening concept in general, we are discussing a Michigan State program to develop a large urban gardening facility in Detroit. That is not a black man growing stuff and selling it at Eastern Market. That is a University from outside the city coming in and developing large scale agricultral facilities. That is exactly why people are opposing the idea, precisely becasue it is NOT a black man growing a garden and selling stuff, but it is outsiders (potentially mostly white people) growing tons of stuff and taking up land in the City (and maybe buildings as well since they want to study vertical ag. concepts).

My point is that Detroit needs to stop worrying about skin color. Get over the "This is our city, stay out" mentality. Stop worrying about where potential business or development comes from and focus on getting help for the failing city. THey should be looking at whether this program is good or bad for the City, not who is behind it, or how many of the people involved will have Black or White skin. That is foolish.
And this post is why I DO visit here often!

Old 05-02-2012, 02:45 PM

Quote:
Go back and read the article. We are not discussing something you saw on PBS. We are discussing an article in the Detroit Free Press. The article is somehting that you have to read to understand the discussion in this thread, you cannot see it on TV and it makes no sense to arrtibute a post about this particular article to a discussion about some unrealted TV show. I do not even know what subject you saw discussed on PBS. What the article discusses is the fact that various local Detroit groups and persons are opposing the idea. What we are discussing is not the urban gardening concept in general, we are discussing a Michigan State program to develop a large urban gardening facility in Detroit. That is not a black man growing stuff and selling it at Eastern Market. That is a University from outside the city coming in and developing large scale agricultral facilities. That is exactly why people are opposing the idea, precisely because it is NOT a black man growing a garden and selling stuff, but it is outsiders (potentially mostly white people) growing tons of stuff and taking up land in the City (and maybe buildings as well since they want to study vertical ag. concepts).

I did read the article and I don't recall the focus being on black people resisting it. Maybe that's just what you like to focus on. Negativity is addicting isn't it?

What I saw on PBS is completely related to this article, as it was people using the empty space to grow food. Sorry that confuses you.

Maybe you could get together with some of the others, go drink some beer and talk about how foolish black people are and any thing you can think of that focuses on the negative.

Old 05-02-2012, 03:52 PM

30,708 posts, read 79,793,239 times
Quote:
I did read the article and I don't recall the focus being on black people resisting it. Maybe that's just what you like to focus on. Negativity is addicting isn't it?

What I saw on PBS is completely related to this article, as it was people using the empty space to grow food. Sorry that confuses you.

Maybe you could get together with some of the others, go drink some beer and talk about how foolish black people are and any thing you can think of that focuses on the negative.
There is a concept called "Context" Please go look it up and see if you can arrive at an understanding about what it means. The context of this discussion was that someone asked why anyone would oppose the Michigan State plan. That led to further discussion. That is called discussing in context, not focusing on the negative. Given that the article was that MSU wants to build a facility to study farms and various groups and individuals are opposing them, it is hardly focusing on anything negative to discuss this concept. I suppose we could discuss how nice it is that the opponents are aware of what is being planned in their community and interested enough to want to oppose it. That would certianly be focussing on the positive, but it would not address the fact that a postive helpful proposition for the CIty is being opposed by at least some people or groups in the city (for the same old tired reasons that contributed to the demise of the city).

You are confused. Go back and read the article again. It is not about people using empty space to grow things, It is about a university developing a study center to test concepts of mass production of ag products in urban settings and about how this concept is meeting with opposition form various groups and idniviuals. Sorry I am not the one confused. I can understand the difference between individuals using available open space to grow things and a $100 million project to study various concepts of urban farming, including vertical ag.

I cannot have the discussion you are seeking becasue Black people are not foolish. Only some Black people are foolish. The Black people discussed in the article are foolish. I have certainly seem examples of other black people who are foolish. However I also know an equal number of Black people who are both intelligent and wise. Unfortunately it seems that in Detroit many foolish black people have been thrust into leadership positions. Fortunately a few intelligent and wise black people have also become leaders. This article and the topic of this thread (remember context) however addresses the latter sort of leaders.

What seems to btoher many people is that I do not care what color someone's skin is. It does nto make them special, privileged, better, worse, pitable, underprivleged or anything else. What I care about is what is inside. When a group of people are opposing something beneficial merely because the people who want to do the beneficial thing are not of the same pigmentation, I think that is dumb. They did nto give a logcial or practical reason for oppsoing the farming project. They just said they do not like it becasue they and people like them will not directly participate and benefit. Like it or not, Detroit has a horrible reputation for being exclusionary and racist. That reputation is not good for Detroit. Taking positions that only further that reputation only hurts the city. These are bad leaders.

Old 05-02-2012, 07:22 PM

I think you two are talking about two different things. Coldjensen is talking about the Michigan State program, and I think tjay is talking about this: Video: Urban Farming | Watch America Revealed Online | PBS Video

Old 05-04-2012, 12:25 PM

Quote:
There is a concept called "Context" Please go look it up and see if you can arrive at an understanding about what it means. The context of this discussion was that someone asked why anyone would oppose the Michigan State plan. That led to further discussion. That is called discussing in context, not focusing on the negative. Given that the article was that MSU wants to build a facility to study farms and various groups and individuals are opposing them, it is hardly focusing on anything negative to discuss this concept. I suppose we could discuss how nice it is that the opponents are aware of what is being planned in their community and interested enough to want to oppose it. That would certianly be focussing on the positive, but it would not address the fact that a postive helpful proposition for the CIty is being opposed by at least some people or groups in the city (for the same old tired reasons that contributed to the demise of the city).

You are confused. Go back and read the article again. It is not about people using empty space to grow things, It is about a university developing a study center to test concepts of mass production of ag products in urban settings and about how this concept is meeting with opposition form various groups and idniviuals. Sorry I am not the one confused. I can understand the difference between individuals using available open space to grow things and a $100 million project to study various concepts of urban farming, including vertical ag.

I cannot have the discussion you are seeking becasue Black people are not foolish. Only some Black people are foolish. The Black people discussed in the article are foolish. I have certainly seem examples of other black people who are foolish. However I also know an equal number of Black people who are both intelligent and wise. Unfortunately it seems that in Detroit many foolish black people have been thrust into leadership positions. Fortunately a few intelligent and wise black people have also become leaders. This article and the topic of this thread (remember context) however addresses the latter sort of leaders.

What seems to btoher many people is that I do not care what color someone's skin is. It does nto make them special, privileged, better, worse, pitable, underprivleged or anything else. What I care about is what is inside. When a group of people are opposing something beneficial merely because the people who want to do the beneficial thing are not of the same pigmentation, I think that is dumb. They did nto give a logcial or practical reason for oppsoing the farming project. They just said they do not like it becasue they and people like them will not directly participate and benefit. Like it or not, Detroit has a horrible reputation for being exclusionary and racist. That reputation is not good for Detroit. Taking positions that only further that reputation only hurts the city. These are bad leaders.
I really don't think we live on the same planet. Nor do I think it would matter what I said, read, or how I worded it. You would respond the way you do every time. I just see somebody who wants to sit around and complain about 'black people in Detroit'...have at it, it does alot of good doesn't it? What black people said this? Link? Was it 20 black people out of 5000? What are the facts? Other than you can't get off the 'make it worse' bandwagon.

I never would have thought that after reading the article, but some people think such a 'discussion' is productive. Me bringing up PBS was not confusion on the article, it was to disprove the negative crap you spew. There are black people who are NOT OPPOSED. Do YOU know how to read?

Seriously, what is the point?

Old 05-04-2012, 12:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Retroit View Post
I think you two are talking about two different things. Coldjensen is talking about the Michigan State program, and I think tjay is talking about this: Video: Urban Farming | Watch America Revealed Online | PBS Video
Yes they are two totally different 'programs' but to me that is irrelevant. Where's the article that shows all these blacks opposed to the MSU program? I'm sure the dude in the PBS video wouldn't be opposed to it....which was my point. Sorry for the confusion.

Old 05-04-2012, 05:49 PM

Quote:
Yes they are two totally different 'programs' but to me that is irrelevant. Where's the article that shows all these blacks opposed to the MSU program? I'm sure the dude in the PBS video wouldn't be opposed to it....which was my point. Sorry for the confusion.
I think Coldjensens was referring to the fact that Detroiters have been known to oppose any outside help, especially from Lansing or, in this case, East Lansing (MSU).

When the man in the PBS video loses his "farmland"(i.e. abandoned lots) to the state or a corporate farm, don't you think he might be a little upset?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Detroit